Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
KevMann

Re: Amazon Kindle

GTNator wrote:

Anyone have experience with Amazon Kindle customer support?  Just curious.

Early on in my Kindle 2 ownership, I had an issue with a book not being downloaded properly for some reason. My phone call was answered within 1 minute and after 30 seconds of troubleshooting the book was sitting in my Kindle's library ready for me to read.

Here is the kicker...later that night I log into my Amazon account to look for another book and there was a $5.00 credit to my account for "all of my trouble" and thanking me for being a loyal customer.

This was not Amazon's fault, it was just an odd digital delivery glitch. But, they accepted responsibility and made me feel like I was valued.

Inspired Contributor
blueyedirishgrl

[ Edited ]

I simply wish for B&N to give us some definitive answers.  Obviously the Nov 30th ship date is false and the email sent out yesterday says they expect for me to have by December 9th, which in no way guarantees I will even have it by then.  All we have is speculation and rumor.  It would be nice for B&N to step up and say, we screwed up and delivery is late, or there is a legal issue holding things up, or whatever.  So long as it was the truth and we had some clue as to what is really going on and if the new dates we've been given are as much fantasy as the Nov 30th date was.  And while I appreciate the upgrade in shipping and the $10 gift certificate, I would rather have my Nook & the accessories I ordered.  My order is for over $400...that is a lot of money to spend and I think I (all of us) deserve some answers. 

Correspondent
MacGyverDXS
0 Kudos

blueyedirishgrl wrote:

I simply wish for B&N to give us some definitive answers.  Obviously the Nov 30th ship date is false and the email sent out yesterday says they expect for me to have by December 9th, which in no way guarantees I will even have it by then.  All we have is speculation and rumor.  It would be nice for B&N to step up and say, we screwed up and delivery is late, or there is a legal issue holding things up, or whatever.  So long as it was the truth and we had some clue as to what is really going on and if the new dates we've been given are as much fantasy as the Nov 30th date was.  And while I appreciate the upgrade in shipping and the $10 gift certificate, I would rather have my Nook & the accessories I ordered.  My order is for over $400...that is a lot of money to spend and I think I (all of us) deserve some answers. 

Well said.  B&N is about to lose a lot of customers if they don't do something positive in the coming days. 

Frequent Contributor
JonDeSousa

MacGyverDXS wrote:

B&N is about to lose a lot of customers if they don't do something positive in the coming days. 

I highly recommend everyone do something!  If enough people cancel their orders now, I can get mine that much sooner! :manwink:

Correspondent
EffieTX
0 Kudos

I don't think B&N cares one bit about whether or not they lose a few customers over this... and chances are, it will all be forgotten a year from now... No one seems to hold Amazon responsible for the delays in getting out the Kindle last year.

I do wish they would just give us some information though. I have an original December 11 ship date.. what are the chances that I will have it for christmas?    Even if I knew I would not get it in time, I will not be cancelling my order.. so why not just let me know? 

In the meantime, I still have a ton of dt books to read....

Frequent Contributor
Planethill
0 Kudos

JonDeSousa wrote:

MacGyverDXS wrote:

B&N is about to lose a lot of customers if they don't do something positive in the coming days. 

I highly recommend everyone do something!  If enough people cancel their orders now, I can get mine that much sooner! :manwink:

+1.   EVERYONE!  GIVE INTO YOUR RAGE!  CANCEL NOW AND BUY A CRAPPY KINDLE!

My Nook isnt shipping until January 4th, and I also would like it sooner.     :smileytongue:

Frequent Contributor
JazzyS

EffieTX wrote:

I don't think B&N cares one bit about whether or not they lose a few customers over this... and chances are, it will all be forgotten a year from now... No one seems to hold Amazon responsible for the delays in getting out the Kindle last year.

However, Amazon did not give an actual ship date until they were ready to ship. They estimated the ship dates (i.e., 1 to 3 weeks or 4 to 6 weeks, etc.) which is very different from what B&N has done.

Frequent Contributor
binkman71

B&N never guaranteed Nov. 30.  It always said "Estimated Ship Date: Nov. 30" or the like.  Even the new emails say they "expect" to have it out by a certain date.  While I'm as disappointed as anyone, I don't see how this is a lie.  In fact, lots of retailers do the "Estimated" or "Expected" ship date just for cases like this.  If a delay of any kind occurs, so be it -- the ship date was never set in stone.

Besides, this is nowhere near the debacle of the Xbox 360 preorder mess.

K.

New User
Bobbie4Florida
0 Kudos

I have had good experience with Kindle customer service

Contributor
scifigirl1982
0 Kudos

Re: B&N Stop lying to your customers! We want real answers NOW!

Where did you hear that it was supposed to be called the Athena? I've never heard anything like that.

Frequent Contributor
MaxP
0 Kudos

Planethill wrote:

JonDeSousa wrote:

MacGyverDXS wrote:

My Nook isnt shipping until January 4th, and I also would like it sooner.     :smileytongue:

LOL:smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
The_Nightguy
0 Kudos

I too think the legal issues are delaying shipping. Spring Design's Alex IS very like the nook BUT there are differences of functionality and design that make the two VERY different devices. I have my fingers crossed and wait hopefully.....
"There are more things in Heaven and earth, Horatio, than are drempt of in your philosophy."
Contributor
DS81
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Inspired Contributor
LabRatSB
0 Kudos

Planethill wrote:

JonDeSousa wrote:

MacGyverDXS wrote:

I own a Kindle.  Bought it on Monday and got it yesterday.  Unless you have actually owned one, you really can't judge it.  I could sit here and call nook crappy, but I haven't used it so I won't.  Personally, I love my kindle.  It's the best gift I have ever gotten.  I didn't preorder a nook but I almost did at one point.  I just couldn't justify BN's ebook prices.  To each their own.  In the end, having multiple ereaders on the market helps us all.  It creates competition. 

Frequent Contributor
JonDeSousa
0 Kudos

LabRatSB wrote:

I own a Kindle.  Bought it on Monday and got it yesterday.  Unless you have actually owned one, you really can't judge it.  I could sit here and call nook crappy, but I haven't used it so I won't.  Personally, I love my kindle.  It's the best gift I have ever gotten.  I didn't preorder a nook but I almost did at one point.  I just couldn't justify BN's ebook prices.  To each their own.  In the end, having multiple ereaders on the market helps us all.  It creates competition. 

It's too bad that the Kindle doesn't take PDF's otherwise, I wouldn't have thought twice about the nook.  As you say competition is a good thing.

Reader 4
joeru
0 Kudos

The current Kindle 2 can read PDF files.  Amazon issued a free firmware update about a week ago which supports PDF files.

Inspired Contributor
LabRatSB
0 Kudos

JonDeSousa wrote:

LabRatSB wrote:

It's too bad that the Kindle doesn't take PDF's otherwise, I wouldn't have thought twice about the nook.  As you say competition is a good thing.

Actually it does.  The most recent update allows for PDFs.  And you can read them in a vertical view or landscape.  I've used it and it's rather nice.  I have a lot of scientific papers, so this was a huge drawing point for me.  Here's the information if you're interested.

Frequent Contributor
Planethill
0 Kudos

Too bad they can't issue a firmware update to add a memory card slot, user replaceable battery & open source operating system.  When the Nook get's apps, watch for an iPhone like explosion.

Frequent Contributor
Planethill
0 Kudos

DS81 wrote:

http://ireaderreview.com/2009/10/14/kindle-vs-athena-barnes-noble-athena-ereader/

More about the "Athena" ereader...

"2 - It’ll be called Nook because Athena sounded too good."

Now that's funny.  :smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
JoeChristmas66
0 Kudos

Watch for an "iPhone like explosion" of third party apps.... Are you serious? 

It's an eReader!  What apps are you looking for on your eReader???  You said you already had an iPhone.  So what's the point of duplicating it on this device?  Give me an exaple of 3-4 apps that you would love to see developed for an eReader.  I'm really curious.  Seriously.

As to open source, isn't Kindle built on Linux?  See here, for example:  http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/09/02/photo-and-descriptio.html

Kinda agree that more apps will probably be available for the Nook (if it ever actually ships - apps are the last thing on B&N's mind right now!).  Disagree that they will make much difference.  The people who want a feature rich device are really looking for an Apple Tablet.  They will dump the Nook when that device is available in 2010, if rumors are to be believed.  People who just want to read books at reasonable prices, forgetting that they are holding technology, will probably remain with Amazon.

--JC