Contributor
teenangel49
0 Kudos

B&N e-book won't work on nook but does on B&N e-reader

I purchased "The Christmas Quilt" for my wife to read on our new nook. I also have B&N's e-Reader installed on my computers. My wife began reading and got to page 249 on the nook, when she went to turn the page, it jumped to 293! Trying to turn the page back, it jumped back to page 204!!!

If I try to read the book on the e-Reader software, it progresses normally from the point of the jump to the next page without any lost text. SO I called tech support. They had me attempt to reset the nook by removing the battery. NO change! Then they had me archive the book from my nook. Then unarchive the book. NO change! Then they had me connect the nook directlly to my laptop with the USB cable and download the book by copying it to the nook. Now I cannot even open the book on my nook! I complained about this to the tech, and he said they would get back with me about the problem. I have heard nothing and it has been over a week. When I try to open the book, my screen says "Formatting..." The only way I can get away from that screen is to go back to the display. Of choices along the bottom of the nook.

So far, we have not run across this problem with any other book, but it makes you wonder. Why would it work on e-Reader but not nook?

Frequent Contributor
cummings66
0 Kudos

Re: B&N e-book won't work on nook but does on B&N e-reader

Change to a smaller font if you're using firmware 1.0.  Or get the new update manually if you can't download it to become current.  The 1.1.x updates fix this issue.

Contributor
teenangel49
0 Kudos

The nook has been upgraded to 1.1.0, however, I tried to open "The Christmas Quilt" again, and it just goes to "Formatting..." and stays there indefinitely. I then tried to download it directly from my ebook directory on my computer and it shows it on the Library list, but I still get the same old "Formatting..." eternally.

This ISN'T a function of not upgrading, and it ISN'T a function of the wrong version of software, it IS a function of something basically wrong with the nook and it's programming. Just like the problem with the bookmarks disappearing!

Frequent Contributor
cummings66
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Oops, I saw the first problem and not the second.  You are right that it's not getting past formatting and if you've waited several minutes with no change I'm sure it won't ever change.  It's odd that it worked and then didn't.  I'd browse the directories and see if its anywhere on the device and manually remove it.  Then redownload it, but only if you manually deleted it.

You could also do a master reset of the Nook which is not what you did and reregister it again, it'd be like you got it out of the box if you did it right.

Frequent Contributor
Rutter9
0 Kudos

Yep sounds like you had a bad download. Delete off your device, redownload, reload.

Contributor
teenangel49
0 Kudos

Well, I went into the nook using the USB cable and deleted the book from the B&N download directory. I then went to MY B&N Library and the nook still showed it in the library in dark type. I then tried archiving it on the nook. Then tried downloading it again using the nook, it still formats forever. Then I erased the d### thing using the USB and  after archiving it, I attempted to open it and it told me it was "Loading..." then I tried to open it to read it and got my old friend "Formatting..."

If the book works on my B&N e-Reader, WHY won't it work on my nook???? Particularly if I download the file that works on my e-Reader DIRECTLY to the nook!!!

Frequent Contributor
cummings66
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Don't archive it, don't download it again.  Just get it off your Nook completely, not in B&N or My Documents directory and then copy your working version to the My Documents directory using USB.  See if that works.

I think you've got something stuck somewhere that's corrupted and you should delete all versions of it everywhere, then maybe it will work.  Worst case, rename the file slightly and side load it and see what happens.

Contributor
teenangel49
0 Kudos

I did as you said and manually deleted it, then tried to open it the nook just says "Formatting..." It still shows the book as being in my nook library.It is NOWHERE on the nook, but it IS in my nook's display of "My B&N Library". How do I go about getting my money back for a book that doesn't work?

Frequent Contributor
cummings66
0 Kudos

The CS department I'd say, but good luck there.  It will show in the B&N library because it's there on the Internet.  It should offer to download it when you select it.  If it's a book you really want reset the nook using a master reset and start over from square one.

Contributor
EDantesDA
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yeah, to do that you have to unregister the device, then reset to factory settings.  you should then be able to re-download everything from your B&N account online.

worst case is you'll lose any bookmarks you might have had, but everything will download fresh...

Contributor
teenangel49
0 Kudos

Lose all my Bookmarks you say? HAH!!!! Bookmarks don't work on this blankety-blank thing anyway, so why should I care.

Thought I was getting away from the problems that Kindle has!!!! Well I've just got a different set! Perhaps even more frustrating!

Contributor
EDantesDA
0 Kudos

Haha okay, well it sounds like the book has become corrupted somehow.

you say that you connected it to your pc and deleted the book from the nook.  Perhaps when it unmounted it didn't remove the placeholder file from the device, and it still sees a book that isn't there. Have you tried rebooting it with the file off the device?  I bet from that point, you could just download it again over the air from the nook?

Contributor
teenangel49
0 Kudos

SO I thought I would go to my nook user guide in the MyDocuments library on my nook, and look up "master reset" cause that's what you called it. Well I get the message "master reset not found".

SO I guess my user guide must be corrupted.

SO then I decided I would search for "deregister" and the only place my nook found "deregister" in the user guide was as a part of the word "deregistering" which occurs under the section titled "11. Termination of the Service". I don't want to terminate my service, I want to get the thing to work like it was advertised (IF THAT IS POSSIBLE)!

You know, I am just a dummy, I thought this was analogous to having a really neat library at my fingertips, but with the problems of bad files and disappearing bookmarks and etc. I might have been smarter to stick with REAL books.

Contributor
EDantesDA
0 Kudos

I think that "master reset" is more of a general term.  if you go to "settings" then "device" you'll see the reset options.  I don't think you need to do that, though...

I thought of an easier solution: You can download the book to your pc from B&N.com, and drag and drop the book to My Documents folder on the device.  Then, from your library, tap on My Documents.  The nook will scan and find the book in that folder and you should be able to read it.

Let us know if that works...

Contributor
teenangel49
0 Kudos

OK, so it gets curiouser and curiouser. I did as you suggested. I went to my library on b&n.COM and downloaded the book to my PC. Then I went to my ebooks and copied the file to My Documents on my nook. Then I called up the library and had it go through searching for new content on My Documents. It found the book. I tried opening it for reading-------and IT OPENED!   HOWEVER, I opened it with Amasis Large font and there were NO PAGE NUMBERS. I tried changing to amasis Medium and bingo! Page Numbers.  But the old 293 does not compute to where I am now.

SO I tried searching for the beginning of a chapter and got it then stepped backwards to see if I had the gap, and apparently, I don't. I'll have my wife check for sure, since she is the one reading the book and knows where the discontinuity was.

SO I reconnected my nook via the USB cable and deleted the copy of the book in My B&N Library then I copied the same file I had copied into My Documents into the My B&N Library. When I try to open that one, it goes into the old "Formatting..." and locks up.

Is there a way to get rid of the spurious copy? I really haven't found a way to make it go away. If I directly delete it, the nook seems to think it is still there, but I can get it to think it is archived if I play with the directories of my library going back and forth to the two libraries. However, when I try to read it, it tells me it is loading, then when I tell it to read, it locks in "Formatting...". Surely there must be some way to clear my library's memory so that I don't have this thing taking up space. It appears that the spot in memory reserved for opening that book has gotten corrupted and it sends the nook off to contemplate its navel----"ohhhhh Formatting..., Formatting..., Formatting..."

Frequent Contributor
cummings66
0 Kudos

teenangel49 wrote:

Is there a way to get rid of the spurious copy? I really haven't found a way to make it go away. If I directly delete it, the nook seems to think it is still there, but I can get it to think it is archived if I play with the

That's what I was suggesting the only real solution might be to wipe it.  Pg 127 I think of the users manual speaks to the reset where you lose it all.  Because you don't have any real stuff on there that you can't replace I see no reason it would hurt.

What you did is what I suggested you try in the first place, place a copy in My Documents and open it up.  That is what a couple others did with books that just said formatting and never got past it.

If you delete it from your online library you may lose it forever, but it's one solution and if you save the downloaded good version of the book you'd be fine.  I have more books in my documents than I do in the my B&N downloads directory.  All the books outside of B&N reside elsewhere anyhow so it's no big deal.

I wonder though, not that bookmarks work for you, but if you have a B&N book in a different directory will bookmarks work?  Conversely, if you have a non B&N book in that directory will it now be able to have bookmarks?

I may experiment with that later on.

Contributor
teenangel49
0 Kudos

OK, this is really interesting also, I just set a bookmark in "MyDocuments" and that bookmark shows up as "Chapter 3: p. 254" however, a bookmark in a book in "My B&N Library" comes up as: "11,OEBPS/9781416583615_ch05.html#point(/1/4/2/2/7/...".

Also, a book which I read under version 1.0.0 still contains the bookmarks I set as I was reading it.

Under version 1.1.1 in "My B&N Library" I set a new bookmark in a book, exited the book and went to another book. Then I turned off the nook. When I re-powered it the bookmark is gone in that book. However, the bookmarks set in the book I had read under version 1.0.0 are still in the book.

Curiouser and Curiouser; the bookmark set in the book residing in "My Documents" still is resident and still says "Chapter 3:smileytongue:. 254", HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM can you say, "Coding error"?

Important Links

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:50 members 447 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: