Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
polywog
0 Kudos

Bible on nook

If one was to get The Holy Bible for his/her nook -- I assume it's available in several formats -- how would it be read and browsed?  Paging through it page by page would be slow -- an understatement.  Would there be a way to go directly to e.g. John 3:16 or Psalm 23?  Just wondering...

Frequent Contributor
joeypore
0 Kudos

Re: Bible on nook

I have thought about this too.

As of now, I believe any versions of the Bible you find are going to be simply eBook versions of the Bible.

However, it's definitely POSSIBLE to use it like the dictionary eBook [which does allow lookup]

Now that I think of it, since every eBook allows you to search within text, maybe it's possible? I'm not sure

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

Thanks for your inquiry polywog.  You can check out our available Bibles in our eBookstore now if you like.  Just click on this link

There is a search function for nook that will enable you to search through any eBook with search criteria that you input.

Contributor
gvanmeter
0 Kudos

I recently got the New International Version (NIV) of the Bible for my nook.  The navigation is okay; it allows you to drill down by Testament, then Book, then Chapter, then Verse.  It's a bit cumbersome, and it would be nice if you could select those things through the touch screen, rather than being limited to using the up and down arrows to scroll down through each verse number (could get very long in Luke).  I recognize this is on the publisher, not BN.

But the main problem is that turning pages is SLOW.  The ebook is just over 2000 pages.  It takes about 10 times longer than turning pages in any other ebook I have (longest is 600+ pages).  As far as I can tell, highlighting and notes don't even work.  The reader application keeps hanging when I try to highlight text, and if I take the 5 minutes to highlight an entire verse by telling the reader to "wait" instead of "force quit," the text doesn't show up as highlighted when I'm done.

I would recommend that BN start selling Bibles as a single purchase with multiple, smaller ebooks as a workaround, and work with the publishers to get the navigation to work with the touch screen.

I'm thankful for the opportunity to carry the whole Bible in a small package with other books, but as it stands now, it's almost unusable because it takes so long to turn the page.  You almost have to start turning the page before you start reading so that it will turn by the time you finish reading the page.

Inspired Correspondent
AdamSelene
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

FWIW, this sounds similar to the slowdown I mentioned on This Dynamic Earth:

https://igpecms-distribution.s3.amazonaws.com/this_dynamic_earth-AAH813.epub

Page turns on the nook can take 20 seconds or more.  It's pretty much unusable, IMO.

Contributor
Zenn
0 Kudos

The best one we found is the Holy Bible.  It has the different books as chapters (warning: as their full titles, e.g. "the first letter of paul to the thessilonians").  Then it has "#:#" at the beginning of every verse, making it easy to click on FIND then search by verse.

There was one bible we tried a sample of that appeared to have hyperlinks to take you to books from the table of contents (like web page links), but the nook did not let us scroll up and down to select them.  We posted on here, but no help yet.

Holy Bible: King James Version

ISBN: 1412158494

B&N = 2.99

Frequent Contributor
harrier47
0 Kudos

polywog wrote:

If one was to get The Holy Bible for his/her nook -- I assume it's available in several formats -- how would it be read and browsed?  Paging through it page by page would be slow -- an understatement.  Would there be a way to go directly to e.g. John 3:16 or Psalm 23?  Just wondering...

You might also try www.gutenberg.org (how's that for syncronicity?) where you can choose any of many translations in epub format. I just side-loaded the Douay-Rhems translation (I know, still stuck in the Middle Ages) and found that the touchscreen on the nook allowed navigation to the Books, and "Find" allowed searches like "Joel chapter two."

Not perfect for finding a verse, I know, but the pages turned very quickly in spite of the 2 MB file size.

harrier

harrier