Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
raboud
0 Kudos

Books written in Asia

Can e-books written in Chinese, Japanese and Korean be downloaded and read using the Nook?

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Re: Books written in Asia

raboud wrote:

Can e-books written in Chinese, Japanese and Korean be downloaded and read using the Nook?

Sorry, raboud. I do not believe that these character sets are supported at this time.

Contributor
googoobo
0 Kudos

I tested different books in Chinese on the Nook. Project Guternbery Chinese books in ePub format did not display well. However if you convert the ePub book to PDF using Calibre. It can be read on the Nook. I also tested the Overdrive Chinese book. It also displays really well. Depending on the graphic of the original book, the reflow is messed up on some pages. The table of content shows up on the LCD screen in Chinese really well.

My conclusion so far is that Yes, you can read Chinese on the Nook - probably needs to be in PDF format. I would assume that you can read it in other Asian characters as well.

Contributor
whereisjim
0 Kudos

It shows Korean.

I created PDF file for my compic book and changed the title using Korean.

The Korean showed fine on list of books.

I also created PDF file from TXT file which is in Korean.

The character was too small to read but it displaied.

I'm going to try different setting to see if I can create some better PDF file so I can easily read it.

BTW, while I was creating the PDF file, the font was embeded.

I'm going to try ePUP to see if it still works as well.