Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Sajustne
0 Kudos

Can I use kindle books on the nook?

Amazon and other ebook sites seem to have considerably cheaper prices the B&N, so could I just buy the books there and upload them to my nook?

Correspondent
athenagwis
0 Kudos

Re: Can I use kindle books on the nook?

On top of not supporting the file type (which might be converted to the proper one) Amazon books have DRM on them that prevent them from being shown on any device except for the Kindle registered to your Amazon account.  So even if you had the right file type, an Amazon book cannot be played anywhere except your Kindle.

Frequent Contributor
RaAusar
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

DRM is out of hand. I hope one day publishers will realize that consumers want to be able to have DRM-free ebooks. Or at least more open. This is one of the reasons why I like B&N. You have access to view your ebooks on multiple devices. I only wish it worked with other readers as well.

I used to buy DRM music and lost tons of money when I switched over to an iphone because my Rhapsody  music wouldn't work on the iPhone. Today, I only buy DRM-Free music from iTunes and Amazon.com/MP3.

I don't want to have run into a situation like that again so I will buying the majority books that have the ePub and Pdf format. I would like to ultimately see all books come with a ePub or Pdf ebook. I would be willing to pay extra for it too.  

O'Reilly and many others are good examples where I see a trend unfolding.

vgr
New User
vgr
0 Kudos

or your phone.

New User
dutch_poppy
0 Kudos

It's extremely disappointing to learn that the Kindle and Nook ebooks are not compatible. I've just ordered a Kindle (international version). It hasn't even been delivered yet! There is, I understand, no international version available yet of the Nook, but when there is, it is quite likely that I would want to purchase one because of the superior functionality. Not being able to access books that I have meanwhile purchased for the Kindle could be a big obstacle.

Please, B&N, Amazon and publishers get together and sort out the compatibility issues.