Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Ivy_B
0 Kudos

Can't download with nook?

Hi, I am totally at a loss here.  For the past three days, I have not been able to download my NYTimes, nor to browse or buy any new books on my nook!! What gives?  Anyone ever have this problem? How do I fix this? Please advise! I have had the nook since Xmas eve, have never encountered this problem before! Thanks!

ivy

Inspired Contributor
GeoffreyF
0 Kudos

Re: Can't download with nook?

You did not describe whether you are using WiFi or Cellular or what error messages you got.  Therefore, it's pretty hard to help you.    3G Cellular does not work in all places so if you are doing this in  a different location than the other times that may be the problem.

Frequent Contributor
Ivy_B
0 Kudos

haveRe: Can't download with nook?

Hi GeoffreyF,

I have both - when at work.  However, the nook kept saying that it cannot find an internet connection. I even took advantage of being in Manhattan yesterday - this did not work. However, when I got home, I put the nook to the PC and that seems to have cleared the problem. The nook immediately began downloading the NYTimes and the magazine that I subscribe to. Thanks for your help... I just hope this doesn't happen when I am on the road and away from my pc! :-)

Frequent Contributor
Ivy_B
0 Kudos

Re: haveRe: Can't download with nook?

I guess I spoke too soon! On lunchbreak, so took out the nook to download the Alice in Wonderland screensavers.  The exact words are: Network unavailable. Please make sure you have network connectivity.  According to our Techie, we DO! Help? (And besides, I certainly should have the 3G available at all times.... )

Thanks again!

Ivy

Inspired Contributor
GeoffreyF
0 Kudos

I don't think the nook will download the screen savers.  You have to download the screen savers with  a computer and then side load them.

Since you asked "your techie" ... how did you connect wifi to the wireless access point?   Did you enable wifi?   Did you provide the encryption codes for that wifi?   Did you indicate the name of the access point?

3G does not exist everywhere.  

Your description is incomplete.   Did you connect to a wifi hot spot or not?    What appears on the status bar of the nook?   Does it indicate WiFi or 3G?  Do you know which icon is which?

Frequent Contributor
Ivy_B
0 Kudos

Hi again,

Yes, I do know the difference, and D. installed the address of our work WiFi for me when I first got the nook; never had a problem with it before.  As for the 3G itself, I have been using it at home and at work.  Being in Westchester, NY, have never had any problems before this week, nor did I expect to, to be honest.  I quoted exactly what my nook tells me when I attempt to download.  I understand that the screensavers would not work without my computer, but the NYTimes? IN New York????.... Something wrong, to be sure.  As is, I am at a loss.  Should I reset to factory settings? Unregister? This seems extensive, but if that's what it would take.  I am leery of doing that "just like this" to be honest.  Thanks for taking the time, btw, to help me with this.

New User
soohoolm
0 Kudos

Hello ,

I'm receiving the same message,"you are not connected to ..." Anyone else with this problem? if so have you resolved it and how? Thanks,