Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Daithi
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Can you only loan a book once and once only?

The FAQ says, "You can lend many of your eBooks one time for a maximum of 14 days." Does this mean you can only loan the book out once, PERIOD, and once you have loaned out a book you can NEVER loan it out again, even after the 14 day loan period expires?

Contributor
jellycow
0 Kudos

Re: Can you only loan a book once and once only?

I would very much like this answered as well.  Nook is a nice looking device, and the color screen does add some future enhancement capabilities.  I can live with it not having a browser or folders organization structure. 

But the main thing that sold me was the lending feature.  For me to get a small group of friends to buy e-books and lend to each other...like what we do now with real books, was the main selling point that got me to pre-order.

If it's really "lend-a-book ONCE only for the duration of possession," I will have to cancel my pre-order.

Frequent Contributor
Xyxox
0 Kudos

I want to know if not all eBooks can be loaned. From the B&N description, it says "most" which implies not all of the books you buy can be lent even one time.

Contributor
sfraden
0 Kudos

Considering B&N loacks out certain features for non B&N books, I expect this to be true.  Its a new feature that kindle does not have, so its a 'hook' to get buyers, but is also designed to make people buy more books.  B&N is a business after all...

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Part of whether a book will be "loanable" is up to the publisher, from what I've heard.

The way the FAQ is written does seem to unambiguously state that books that are loanable can be loaned once and only once. As this social media aspect of the nook is being talked about as one of its more "revolutionary" features, this seems very restrictive.

I'm hoping what they mean to say is something like this:

Loanable books you own can be lent to one other device/user at a time. That loan can last for up to 14 days. While on loan, you will not have access to the book. You can not lend a single book to more than one device/user at a time.

Once the loan is expired, you will have access to your book again to read, or loan out again, as you choose. You can re-loan it to the same device/user (again, for a max of 14 days) or an entirely new device/user and spread the love of reading.

Like I said, I hope that's what is intended, in the end. That would fit with this much-hyped feature.

The FAQ plainly does not read that way.

Not an important sticking point for me, as I know few other ebook friends to share with, but some clarification is definitely necessary.

Contributor
jellycow
0 Kudos

I personally think it's fine for B&N to limit lending of the book to ONCE per lendee.  So you can lend your book to a friend for 14 days.  You do not have access to that book during that time.  After 14 days, the book comes back to you.  You cannot lend to that same person again -- so there is the concept of lending it ONLY once.  But you CAN lend it to other people after it.

The FAQ makes it sound as if you can lend any of your book once...and once only...and it'll be forever locked from that feature.

I think this does need to be clarified further.

Overall, I'm rather shocked at how unprepared B&N was with launch of this device....

Inspired Contributor
Mark_F
0 Kudos

I'm guessing that either way this is a feature implemented in software and that the nook has some mechanism for upgrading that software.  If it turns out that the lending feature can only be used once per ebook, (when allowed by the publisher) then the user community can certainly put pressure on B&N to improve the feature to be more in line with the description provided by RHWhite, which to me sounds reasonable (and kind of cool).

Frequent Contributor
Xyxox
0 Kudos

The user community putting pressure on BN would be all nice and everything, except for one simple problem.

As of right now, there is no user community.

Frequent Contributor
Kristine_S
0 Kudos

Yes, that's correct. You can loan each eBook (providing the publisher allows this) one time only, for a period of 14 days, to any B&N eReader-supported device, including nook, Mac, PC, iPhone, iPod Touch, and BlackBerry. During this time you cannot read the eBook yourself. Hope that helps, and thanks for your question.

Frequent Contributor
Xyxox
0 Kudos

Thanks for the answer. It's disappointing, but I understand the reasoning behind it.

Frequent Contributor
DemonicDuck
0 Kudos

That is very lame. I understand if a publisher doesn't allow it ok. However only one time period makes this feature way less cool. If you wanted to block me from loaning it to the same person multiple times that would be one thing but why can't I lend it to Bob and then Mary.

Frequent Contributor
JimM
0 Kudos

I agree that the one-time-only, 14day limitation is frustrating, but let's put this in perspective: B&N is the ONLY provider to allow lending in ANY form.  No one else currently allows ebooks to be loaned to another user, AT ALL.  It's currently the best option available.  I can almost guarantee that down the road this will be opened up a LOT, as Amazon and others start providing their own loaning options (it'll happen, trust me).

Contributor
Z3d07
0 Kudos

i understand "their" reasoning but it's illogical.  if they want to lead the way into the future of books they need to make the guidelines similar to what they are with a printed book.  i can lend my books as often as i want now, why shouldn't i be able to do the same with an ebook? with that kind of reasoining i'm surprised they're not going after libraries for lending out books over and over.

New User
mcdenmark
0 Kudos

The way I envisioned it was when I purchased an ebook from BN, it would be just like I purchased a paper book.  Which means that I can lend the book to anyone I want.  What I do like is that with the Nook, I don't have to worry about it being returned.  After 14 days, it comes back.  However, it would be nice to be able to re-lend if someone wasn't able to finish after 14 days.

Frequent Contributor
Xyxox
0 Kudos

I'd prefer a once per friend loan of 7 days, and that would accomplish the goal of the loan from the B&N perspective even better because it could help drive sales of the eBooks to multiple people.

"Hey John, have you read Dan Brown's latest yet?"

"No Jack. I'm reading the Krakauer book."

"Let me loan it to you. I'll have to do it now because I promised Jeff he could have it next week."

Jack gets to it four days later and doesn't finish it. Now Jack wants to buy it. Meanwhile Jeff doesn't get to read all of it either and Jeff buys it.

RHWright
0 Kudos

This answer is rather disappointing, though obviously driven by publisher concerns. They're in the business of selling books, after all.

For a product "loaded with innovation," and one of those innovateive features being "digital lending," so that we can all "share the joy of reading" with our friends, just like we've done for centuries with old-fashioned print & bound editions, it seems like this particular hype doesn't add up to much.

Not a deal breaker for me, but, hey--marketing folks please pay attention--you may want to downplay what turns out to be a minor feature. I don't see this as a strong selling point, and I know where of I speak. I've been a bookseller on and off for nearly 20 years.

I can see the conversation with customer now:

"Can you tell me about some of the unique features of the nook?"

"Sure. One of the really cool ones is digital lending. You can lend your ebooks to anyone else running the b&n eReader app."

"That is cool."

"Oh, but you can only lend it for 14 days."

"Well, that's not too bad, I suppose. I can just lend it to them again, I guess, until they finish it."

"Well, no, actually. You can only lend it to them once."

"I guess they'll just have to read fast, then," they say chuckling.

"Oh. And once you lend it to one friend, you can't lend it to anyone else. Ever."

Customer shakes head, perplexed, as they walk away.

So, let's say we downgrade this major innovation to a minor step up from previous products, which basically made ebook lending a form of piracy.

Contributor
Z3d07
0 Kudos

i'm somewhat perplexed that they wouldn't take advantage of the marketing data they could gather.  i'm sure reading habits would be worth something...and lets face it, folks that borrow books don't usually plan on buying them anyway.

RHWright
0 Kudos

I think the once per lendee, but for a shorter term, proposition would be fair all around.

This argument will be easier to make (especially to publishers) once the nook ships and they can see the actual (hopefully positive) impact lending has on their sales. This nice thing is this will all be highly trackable. (# of loans, # of borrowers who subsequently bought vs. didn't, etc.) Nice cold, hard data to show them that they will make money doing this. And that's what it will take, folks. Showing them they can turn a profit at it.

So let's all buy nooks, lend to friends, and remind them to buy their own copies. Then we will have the consumer/user power to put pressure on publishers to loosen up their restrictions.

Contributor
jellycow
0 Kudos

That answer pretty much lost me for good.  It's not even a feature worth mentioning now.  It's another reminder that when I buy ebooks, I do not own them, and I do not have freedom to do as I wish with it.  I thought Nook would be an improvement...but it's not.

I should be able to lend the book to someone.  I should be able to even SELL the book if I don't want it anymore.  It should be equivalent to a paperback book.  If B&N wants to limit it so that we don't start some crazy online book exchange club, I understand...make the lending/exchanges only possible in person even.  If the industry as a whole wants to limit the number of transfers allowed (like around 10), I can give them some slack for that too, since I understand that things in digital format do not wear out like a real book.  But for these publishers and vendors to keep on hitting us on the head that we do not own the book that we buy, we are not free to do anything with it...but we are buying a license to read the content....is disappointing.

This unit isn't smaller than its competitors...this unit does not have a better screen...it does not have revolutionary concept of you owning your own ebooks....so how is it better than what's out there other than the gimmicky UI?

Contributor
Daithi
0 Kudos

I complete agree with Jellycow!

The ability to lend books was a huge selling point, but if you can only loan a book out once, and can NEVER loan it out again then this feature is kind of useless to me.

I was just waiting to hear back on this question. Now that I know the answer, and coupled with the higher prices of books than their competitor Amazon, I've decided to cancel my order.

Good luck to the people that decide to actually buy a Nook. I truly hope you enjoy your new ereader.