Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
2ndAlto
0 Kudos

Computer won't recognize Nook

I've been a proud owner of the Nook since mid-December. I've bought & downloaded e-books as well as "side-loaded" a handful of e-books I already owned, and I added a few photos as wallpaper. Two weeks ago the Nook froze but I figured out how to reset it. Not too different from an MP3 player I once had.

Today I connected the Nook to my computer to delete a book from the My Documents folder (which I was able to do a few days ago) and the computer would not recognize it. No message asking which software to open it or just to view the files. No icon in the Computer folder saying the Nook was attached. And when I clicked on the USB port it was connected to, I got a message saying I needed to format the disk in that drive before I could use it! Help me! I'm pretty sure that formatting my Nook would be a bad idea.

I ejected the Nook, turned it off & on, reset the computer, tried different USB ports (direct connections and hubs), nothing is working. Not only that, all the books & photos that I "side-loaded" are gone. Fortunately, the B&N data is still there.

Have any suggestions?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Computer won't recognize Nook

Can you Try another computer?  

This does sound more like a computer problem than a nook problem.  You don't know if those books and music are gone till you can really check with another computer.   

Also the USB controller in some computers never does a true reset till you power all the way off.  Worth a try.

Reader 4
2ndAlto
0 Kudos

Tried that this morning. That computer also wants to know if I want to "format the disk." I suspect a corrupted or missing file in the Nook itself. And a computer problem does not explain the missing books and photos that I had installed on the Nook.

Now what? Is there some way to reload the Nook's software?

Correspondent
eagleSB
0 Kudos

Have you added a microSD card to you nook that you put your stuff on or did you use the default storage provided?  The nook uses an internal memory card for storage.  This may have an issue.  If you have not added your own memory card, then it may be an issue with the nook's internal card.  You should contact B&N tech support.

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

@ 2ndAlto:  I agree with EagleSB.  You should probably give our digital support group a call.  They can try and help you troubleshoot the issue or, if need be, get a replacement nook out to you if yours is in fact defective.

They can be reached at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665).

Contributor
ycistaro
0 Kudos

I'm sorry to say but I too I'm getting the feeling that I was sold a product that did not delivery what B&N advertised.  Many of the features that enticed the buyer to purchase the Nook over the Kindle or any other ereader are not working.  There is a long list of problems.  For B&N to say that they are addressing issues with the first versions of the software with yet another update -  is not an acceptable excuse.

I have also seen post from Nook users who have had there Nook for a few months and now they are experiencing problems they did not have at first.

This makes me very uncomfortalbe with the stability of this product.  So my question is.

If we purchase the nook can it be returned if we are within are 14 days or even if we are not, due to the fact that we were sold a product that did not produce what it advertised.  Which in my opinion is False Advertising.

I understand this new update should resolve a lot of these issues but it has now left a bad taste in my mouth for this piece of technology and for Barnes & Nobel. I forsee problems will contine with this particular product, even after the update, in the future.

I'd really like to see something from Barnes & Noble as to how they plan to address these issues and make it right to all those that bought this product.  Barnes & Noble should stand behind their product and post a public statement as to how they are going to reticy this on going problem.

If this product is not returnable we are all out of a lot of money, which is pretty sad.

Reader 4
2ndAlto
0 Kudos

No, I did not install an SD card. It seemed like too much work to carefully pry open the back, plus who wants to do a double eject every time one wants to disconnect from the computer? The next edition should have an insert slot like most other devices.

Thank you for the tech number. I'll call them next.

New User
CarolJS
0 Kudos

2ndalto

I just got my Nook and I was reading about your problem. I do not have an answer but can you tell me how to transfer pics to my screensavers & wallpaper on my Nook?

Thanks Carol

Correspondent
T-BONECA
0 Kudos

CarolJS wrote:

2ndalto

I just got my Nook and I was reading about your problem. I do not have an answer but can you tell me how to transfer pics to my screensavers & wallpaper on my Nook?

Thanks Carol

Hi Carol,

The user guide is loaded on your Nook. Alternatively

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pimages/nook/download/User_Guide_nook.pdf

Page 58

You can also do a search of this board. This subject has been covered in many other threads.

Happy Nooking

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

[ Edited ]

For transferring pics, connect your nook to the computer.  Put your grayscale pics inot the wallpaper folder directly for wallpaper.  In screensavers create a folder for your pictures and put them there.  They need to be a certain size and all so look in the guide on your nook or download the one to your computer from the BN site.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Reader 4
2ndAlto
0 Kudos

I just wanted to let you know that I called the digital support group. Had to sit on hold for a while (that's what cordless speaker phones are for), but I finally spoke to a very good, patient, techie who walked me through a couple of steps and we reset the machine back to it's original factory settings and it's ready to go! The computer is recognizing the nook again and I can reload my files. Hooray!