Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
cheryl28205
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Connecting nook to a Mac

When i used the USB cable to connect to my iMac (running Snow Leopard w/Intel processor), it did not appear to get recognized (or I couldn't find it in a Finder window).  Saw the message on the nook to .....eject or unmount..... but could find where to do this as it was not shown as a drive.  Needless to say I couldn't add any files to it.  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!  Thanks!

Contributor
WarrenNYC
0 Kudos

Re: Connecting nook to a Mac

My Macbook Pro, also running Snow Leopard was able to connect via USB with the nook. Do your other USB devices connect without problem? Have you tried restarting? Is it possible for you to mount the disk using Disk Utility?

just a few suggestions. I hope it turns out to be an easy fix.

Frequent Contributor
kylejohnson
0 Kudos

That's odd.  I have a Mac running Leopard (not SL, just plain Leopard), and when I plugged the Nook in it mounted fine and showed up in the sidebar of my Finder windows.  A few of things to try:

1- switch to the Finder; then select FINDER -> PREFERENCES; in the general tab under SHOW THESE ITEMS select HARD DISKS (the Nook is a USB mass storage device and thus is considered a hard disk).  Once you connect the Nook it should show up on your desktop.

2- If that doesn't work, connect the Nook and then in the Finder select GO -> GO TO FOLDER; in the text box type /Volumes.  That should bring up a Finder window with all your mounted volumes.  The Nook should be there.

3- if *that* doesn't work, connect the Nook and then launch Terminal (it's in Applications/Utilities).  This is going to give you a UNIX terminal.  At the prompt, type cd /Volumes.  Then type ls -la.  That should give you a list of all the mounted volumes, and the Nook should be there.  If it is and none of those other options had worked, it might be worth a reboot of the machine.

If none of those work, you might try a different USB port and/or USB cable.

Reader 4
cheryl28205
0 Kudos

Kyle, thanks so much for your quick advice!  Re-booted the Mac and plugged the usb cable directly into back of Mac in lieu of the powered hub, and there was the nook drive.  Thanks again.

New User
jbbm
0 Kudos

when i plug my nook into my mac, it says, "If you want to use your nook and continue charging, please choose eject or unmount from the menu for the nook drive on your computer."  the nook isn't showing up on my computer, though, and i've tried all three of those things! any advice?