Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Aynata
0 Kudos

Dealing with Dragons

When I was in grade school, I read the book "Dealing with Dragons" and a few of the books that came after it in the series.  I have great memories of reading this would and would love to read it again, even if it is a little to easy now (nostalgia, maybe?).  I would like to read it on my nook, but I haven't seen it as an ebook on any of the sites I have searched.  Has anymore else found this book as a ebook?

Contributor
CharlieSJ
0 Kudos

Re: Dealing with Dragons/Payloadz?

I have to agree with you. Excellent series (YA Adult) but I still love it now!

I did a google and I found this. I'm not sure how reliable it is. Has anyone else had luck with this website?

http://store.payloadz.com/details/585235-eBooks-Fiction-THE-ENCHANTED-FOREST-CHRONICLES-all-4-PDF-eB...

I'm not sure how it is? It list that it is a .pdf format. They do have one book from the series at a time for $5.00 so maybe you can try that to see how it formats within the Nook?

Best wishes and do let me know if you have better luck? I don't have a Nook (yet) but I think this is one I would defintely get!

Cheers,

Charlie

Frequent Contributor
cummings66
0 Kudos

I never deal with websites that end in "z" as in WAREZ.  To me the name suggests an illegal site and you're likely to find your credit card number in Russia if you deal with them, at least that's how I think of sites that end with the letter z.  Why not payloads and not the hacker version of payloadz?  I'm wondering...

Contributor
CharlieSJ
0 Kudos

cummings66-

I am somewhat concern of it like you (b/c I do really want to get this series).

I clicked on the link to purchase it (to see where it leads) and it directs you to paypal. It reminded me of ebay (except ebay you can actually follow up on while I am not sure of this 'payloadz').

Hope to hear if anyone has had any experience with that website.

Cheers,

Charlie

Inspired Contributor
Undel
0 Kudos

Even if they do deliver, I'd worry that what you would be purchasing might be a bootleg copy and the author and publisher might not see a penny of it. I did a search on google and with a few ebook companies, as well as Patricia C. Wrede's website after reading this, and there is no mention of an official ebook... but the google search did lead me to several bittorrent and free download sites. I'm thinking that if you purchase this book, you are paying someone to bootleg it for you :-/

New User
Aynata
0 Kudos

Re: Dealing with Dragons

Thanks for all your help!  It is sad, though, that no official (more likely, illegal, if in ebook form) ebook is made for this series.  It seems just old enough to not join the ebook arena.  Hopefully, that will change.

Frequent Contributor
Tome-Reader
0 Kudos

There are more and more old books being made available, but it will take quite a long time--if ever--for all books to be made available in ebook form.

I agree with you:  it would be wonderful if Wrede's entire dragon series were available.  Though the first  one, "Dealing with Dragons," is the best.

Frequent Contributor
DemonicDuck
0 Kudos

I will have to look into this series as I tend to enjoy books 1) for YA and 2) about dragons

Contributor
ebooker
0 Kudos

I just requested this series be put in ebook form on Amazon.  I figure if they make an ebook out of it then it will be in both places, BandN and Amazon.  Is there a place to request a book be made into an ebook on BandN?  If so, you might try that also.  I had forgotten all about these books until you mentioned them.  Thanks for the reminder.

Frequent Contributor
Tome-Reader
0 Kudos

DemonicDuck wrote:

I will have to look into this series as I tend to enjoy books 1) for YA and 2) about dragons

Have you read Anne McCaffrey's YA books?  Dragonsinger, Dragonsong and Dragondrums.  Unfortunately they aren't in ebook form yet, but most libraries carry them.  Or, you can buy them in paperback.

Contributor
CharlieSJ
0 Kudos

Demonicduck-

It is a classic! If you like dragons and YA books! It's a fantasy with a funny twist to it. I can't recommend it enough.

Cheers,

Charlie

Frequent Contributor
violetangel
0 Kudos

ebooker wrote:

I just requested this series be put in ebook form on Amazon.  I figure if they make an ebook out of it then it will be in both places, BandN and Amazon.  Is there a place to request a book be made into an ebook on BandN?  If so, you might try that also.  I had forgotten all about these books until you mentioned them.  Thanks for the reminder.

It's not as easy as if it's on one it will be on the other.  They are two different formats and require contracts with each bookseller.  Of course getting it in one format bodes well for getting it into the other - but it's not a one-size-fits-all kind of thing.

There's a thread for eBooks you want to see...as I understand it, those suggestions are being passed along.

‎"No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anyone but oneself." -Virginia Woolf
Contributor
ebooker
0 Kudos

I'm fully aware that one size does not fit all, however it is a step in the right direction, I think. 

Frequent Contributor
violetangel
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ebooker wrote:

I'm fully aware that one size does not fit all, however it is a step in the right direction, I think. 

Yes, but earlier you clearly said "if they make an ebook out of it then it will be in both places".  There is a separate process for each bookseller and e-Reader format.  Yes, if a book is put into eBook format for one it is very likely it will happen for others, but it may not be simultaneous, especially with older books.  New books I can see being available for all at the start, but as older books are converted, it will depend on the contract process for each e-Reader type/bookseller as well as the conversion process.

‎"No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anyone but oneself." -Virginia Woolf
Contributor
ebooker
0 Kudos

You're really making me sorry I even mentioned it!  If you would quote what I said accurately you will see that I agree with you.  I said, "I figure if they make an ebook out of it then it will be in both places", which is how I feel.  I figure (or think, or predict, prognosticate - if that makes it clearer to you) that if the publisher is going to allow ebooks, that it won't be to only allow one venue to carry it, like Amazon, but will allow ebooks to be offered in many venues. 

Frequent Contributor
violetangel
0 Kudos

ebooker wrote:

You're really making me sorry I even mentioned it!  If you would quote what I said accurately you will see that I agree with you.  I said, "I figure if they make an ebook out of it then it will be in both places", which is how I feel.  I figure (or think, or predict, prognosticate - if that makes it clearer to you) that if the publisher is going to allow ebooks, that it won't be to only allow one venue to carry it, like Amazon, but will allow ebooks to be offered in many venues. 

NO, we're on the same page.  :smileyhappy:  Early this morning it read like you were saying "If a is true, then b must be true".  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

But there are a lot of people who equate "figure" with "assume" and don't know the details behind them.  Yes, the fact that it's available in one makes it FAR more likely that it will become available in the other, though I suppose there are no guarantees.  (Though why a publisher would want to eliminate a portion of the possible audience for a book is beyond me.)  My theory is that with newly published books, as they're made available in eBook format, they will be "broad spectrum" so to speak - made in all forms.  With those that are already on Kindle or whatever, it may take a little longer, but yes, the likelihood that they WILL be made into a format for nook is higher I would say than for a book that isn't available in eBook format of any kind.

Contributor
ebooker
0 Kudos

Now if we could only get the HP series and Jean Auel's series on ebooks, I would be a happy person.

Frequent Contributor
violetangel
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

HP I know is all on JK Rowling.  She's the one denying rights to have it converted to eBook.  :smileysad:  I really wish this could happen as I sold someone my copies of the books when I was starting to think eReader, not knowing her stance on it.  UGH!

I don't know about the other.  Sorry!