Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
jullar
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Does BN plan to make the BN ereader application available for Android phones?

Does BN plan to make the BN ereader application available to download to Android phones?

Inspired Contributor
dc22
0 Kudos

Re: Does BN plan to make the BN ereader application available for Android phones?

someone posted a new thread asking the exact same question 26 minutes ago. Is it that necessary that you need to repost in 26 minutes? 

Reader 4
jullar
0 Kudos

Re: Does BN plan to make the BN ereader application available for Android phones?

Sorry missed the previous post. Looking forward to a positve answer.
Inspired Contributor
dc22
0 Kudos

Hopefully soon, is the droid phone even out yet?

Reader 4
jullar
0 Kudos

Yes Dorid phones are out - I got an answer from BN customer service:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately, at this time, eBooks purchased on our website are not
compatible with Andriod phones.  Please check our website often as we
are continuing to expand our download capabilities to other devices.
At this time, the Barnes & Noble eReader supports downloads to your PC,
iPhone, MAC and Blackberry.

Contributor
BruJr
0 Kudos

You've really got to take the "we are continuing to expand our download capabilities to other devices" comment with a grain of salt. They make it sound like they are feverishly rushing to extend this to other platforms. The truth is, the BN reader has ben out for ~4 months, and in that time, not a single new device has been added to the list, even though the original backbone for the B&N eReader software (called simply "eReader", from Fictionwise) could actually run on Windows Mobile as well, and the nook operates on Android.

As near as I can tell the only reason you should check back frequently is so that they can try to entice you with whatever new marketing loy is currently in use. Checking back once a month is about all you'll need to do (and maybe not even that - Google plans to begin selling ebooks by the end of the year - http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/technology/2009/10/16/1016googlebooks.htm..., and it looks like they are building it as a web-browser application, so any device with a web browser should be able to read the books - that in and of itself could be quite a coup with regards to Amazon and the Kindle - maybe this is why the nook is not initially intended to offer web browsing...?).

Frequent Contributor
StevenP
0 Kudos

BruJr wrote:

You've really got to take the "we are continuing to expand our download capabilities to other devices" comment with a grain of salt. They make it sound like they are feverishly rushing to extend this to other platforms. The truth is, the BN reader has ben out for ~4 months, and in that time, not a single new device has been added to the list, even though the original backbone for the B&N eReader software (called simply "eReader", from Fictionwise) could actually run on Windows Mobile as well, and the nook operates on Android.

As near as I can tell the only reason you should check back frequently is so that they can try to entice you with whatever new marketing loy is currently in use. Checking back once a month is about all you'll need to do (and maybe not even that - Google plans to begin selling ebooks by the end of the year - http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/technology/2009/10/16/1016googlebooks.htm..., and it looks like they are building it as a web-browser application, so any device with a web browser should be able to read the books - that in and of itself could be quite a coup with regards to Amazon and the Kindle - maybe this is why the nook is not initially intended to offer web browsing...?).

I don't think that sounds like a good idea.  I don't want to have to have internet connection to read a book.  I know Google wants me to be connected to them 24/7 but I don't have any interest in complying with their wish.  I would rather just download and own the book.

Contributor
BruJr
0 Kudos

Nope - double check the text - the files would be downloaded - you would just use your web browser to access and read them. Web browsers have, for years (I want to say "always", but I don't know that for a fact) been able to access and display off-line content.