Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
phoenixphire09
0 Kudos

Does Nook support Word files?

I'm contemplating between a Kindle and a Nook and the biggest issue with me is does Nook support Word files?

Kindle specifically does and the only thing I found for Nook is that it supports PDFs, however since the majority of my reading is done in Word, PDF support doesn't do much for me.  I'd rather not have to convert each file to read it on the go.

Help. :-)

Frequent Contributor
Therinia
0 Kudos

Re: Does Nook support Word files?

Check out this thread; Acceptable File Formats 

Word is not listed as an acceptable file format for the Nook.  Sorry.  Maybe this will change in the future.

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

just out of curiousity - what are you reading in Word ? 

and what version.... as the latest Word 2007 has a new format of "docx"

and just a clarification - the Kindle does not directly support Word docs, but does support a conversion process (same for PDF prior to latest firmware update) if you email the file to Amazon, which then gets converted and wirelessly downloaded to your Kindle or sent back to your email address..

BTW - depending upon your version of Word (ala 2007) there is a free download from Microsoft for directly saving your Word doc into a PDF format.  Of course, there are lots of other PDF converters avail that appear on your computer as a "PDF Printer", so you merely "print" the Word doc and it is saved as a PDF.

Correspondent
guenevol
0 Kudos

You can download a "Convert to PDF" button for Microsoft Office so that you can convert Word files (and OneNote files and files from other Microsoft programs as well) into PDF format, thus making them nook-compatible.

Frequent Contributor
Loupy1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You can also use Calibre (link) to do the conversion from word to ePub for the nook.

Also, on the Kindle if you email your file for conversion and want the book directly sent to your Kindle there is a charge of $ 0.15 per megabyte.  Having the converted book sent back to your email for sideloading onto the Kindle is free.