Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
kaseymeredith
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Does the Barnes & Noble Membership card apply for online eBook purchases for my nook?

I was thinking about becoming a Barnes & Noble member, but before I start paying the yearly fee I have a question. Considering I just recently got a nook, and I'm no longer going to be buying books in the store, is it worth getting a Membership card? Will the Membership card save me money when I'm buying eBooks for my nook?

Thanks!:smileyhappy:

Contributor
crisandria
0 Kudos

Re: Does the Barnes & Noble Membership card apply for online eBook purchases for my nook?

At this time the Barnes & Noble Membership does not apply for anything nook, accessories for the nook or any ebooks. So no the Membership card will not save you anything on eBooks. 

Contributor
kaseymeredith
0 Kudos

Re: Does the Barnes & Noble Membership card apply for online eBook purchases for my nook?

Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
NookSusan
0 Kudos

Go to Fictionwise.com where you can buy a membership (it's also owned by BN) and get discounts. See the Fictionwise discussion here on the Help Board.

Frequent Contributor
EricWiz
0 Kudos

Well, that seems kind of silly on B&N's part. They want the memberships so they should support the nook and ebooks by providing a savings on ebooks.

Reader 4
NH_Reader
0 Kudos

EricWiz wrote:

Well, that seems kind of silly on B&N's part. They want the memberships so they should support the nook and ebooks by providing a savings on ebooks.

Bingo!! This is a part of my issue with Barnes and Noble/BN.com being treated as seperate entities. For the life of me I cannot understand why Barnes and Noble/BN.com can't integrate better when dealing with the nook?? To me, the really big advantage that BN has over Amazon/Apple/Sony any other E-reader is their brick and mortar stores. Not allowing membership discounts on ebooks seems plain dumb. The nook is a great product but like any great product you need to support it in all phases of your business model.The only thing I can think of is that the ebooks are listed at a discounted price already?

Frequent Contributor
clka
0 Kudos

I've pretty much decided to let mine expire for now.  I want to get my husband a Nook for his birthday in April so doubt we will use it very much for book purchases after that.  I've also recently started buying used books  from either half.com, Amazon, or B & N, usually for little more than the cost of media mail.  If B & N decides to give us a break on ebooks or things Nook, I would consider picking up the membership again.

Cheryl

Contributor
xtexman
0 Kudos

But remember that the purpose of the membership isn't to give us bargains, it's to encourage us to comeback and make more purchases from B&N stores.

Since the nook is already tied direclty into their stores, B&N doesn't feel that extending the membership discount would get them any extra purchases.

Sure, I can and do go to other ebook retailers to check price & availability, but I still make most of my nook purchases from B&N becasue it's easier.

New User
tanojc
0 Kudos

The membership card is not only good for book purchases at the BN store but also for other items that are sold in the store; ie: magazines, cards (birthday, etc), cd/dvds, even at the coffeshop (if they have one). My husband & I were at the coffeshop at our local BN store & they asked for our membership card so is does help there also to gain points for future coupons.......just a thought.