Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
TerrieBittner
0 Kudos

Epub isn't loading to my Nook

I've successfully sideloaded PDF and MP3, and also gotten B&N books into my new Nook, but the epub I got from another site just won't go in. I put it into the digital editions folder and also the documents folder. Neither helps. When I pull up the book in Digital Editions, it loads, but won't show in the Nook folder. I tried to add it, but it doesn't see the file at all then.

Any suggestions?

Contributor
victory1
0 Kudos

Re: Epub isn't loading to my Nook

Do you have Adobe Digital Edition loaded to your computer?  If not download the software here: http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/#download and activate it.  Redownload the book choosing to have it open in DE.  Plug your Nook and it should show up in the software with a prompt to activate your Nook.  Now you should be able to pull the book and drop it in the Nook.  At least that's how it works on my Sony Reader when I choose not to use their library software.  My Nook is not here yet.

Frequent Contributor
vinnyc
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

victory1, you are correct. When I first received my nook I purchased a book at another site (it was in epub format) when I sideloaded and dropped it into the"My Documents" folder, I could see the title of the book (on the nook), but it wouldn't open. I put the book into Adobe Digital Editions, attached the nook to my PC and then dragged and dropped the title to the nook icon. I opened the book and I am able to read it. It seems, from my experience, that the nook doesn't like you to drop some files directly into the folders, but when I did it as described above, it knew where to put the file automatically. 

Contributor
Catlyn99
0 Kudos

Actually it is a question of what type of ebook you are trying to load on the nook.

If it is a normal epub and not secured, nook can see it just fine if you move it into the my documents folder.

The problem is the secured epubs from sites like www.fictionwise.com

If the format is "secure ereader" you will have to use adobe digital editions in order to register your nook.

It looks like you may only have to load one secure book and register the nook like this once.  I have been able to directly load secure epubs to the nook now that my nook is registered with the adobe digital editions.

I hope this information helped.

Contributor
lkszip
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone!  I had this same problem and couldn't figure it out ... so thanks very much!

Contributor
huskerdan25
0 Kudos

I could use some assistance with this.  I run on a Mac.  I have Adobe Digital Edition installed.  When I download from Kobo, I get a file that I save to my computer called URLLINK.acsm.  I open it using DE.  All I get is this blank window that is black and I see nothing.  When I hook up my nook to my computer, I do not get some indication that I need to activate my nook with DE.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong or what steps I need to follow to get this to work so I can get my new book I purchased from Kobo onto my nook?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos