Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
brittany123
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Error message: Activity Reader not responding

Hi, I have looked for this issue in other threads with no luck, but I apologize if I missed it!  I bought a new B&N ebook this morning for my nook and every time I try to read it I get the error message "Sorry! Activity Reader (in application Reader) is not responding." and I have to force a close to the reader or the nook just freezes and I have to reboot.  This happens after trying to navigate chapters, not when it first opens. I have tried opening different chapters, but get the same message or freeze.   I have been able to read other ebooks on my nook today, just not this one.  I have only seen this error message once before today, so this issue seems confined to this one ebook.   I was told by CS on the phone that I need to contact the Digital Content dept for a credit since it appears that my download was successful and is available to me.   I would like any tips, suggestions, etc!

Frequent Contributor
steve10

Re: Error message: Activity Reader not responding

You might try deleting and redownloading the book.  You'll find it under My B&N Downloads if you connect to your PC via USB.   Sometimes downloads are faulty, it's not just a B&N issue.

Then again, it is possible that the book is just formatted in a way that the nook isn't handling.   If it continues, you might try one of the other fonts or font sizes.  That has sometimes helped.

What's the book title, if I may ask?

New User
Nerdy-Gymnast
0 Kudos

Hi,

I had the same problem so I archived then unarchived the book, but it didn't help. Is that the same as deleting a book then redownloading it? I also tried changing the font but it still won't let me past the title page! This is frustrating because everything was working fine until I got to the second to last chapter and it froze then gave me the Activity Reader Error sign. The title of the book is Fade by Lisa McMann.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
IrishEyes531
0 Kudos

I got this error message when opening the free James Rollins book. I touched "try again". I let it sit for a moment or two and the book worked fine. I think my problem was trying to page forward before the entire book had finished formatting.

New User
brittany123

I called the support line and after trying to redownload the title (by unregistering and then reregistering my nook) which was unsuccessful in fixing the issue and checking all my other ebooks to make sure it was just the one title (Holy Bible NIV Zondervan) that would trigger the error message (it was), I hooked the nook up to the computer and deleted the file and did a wired download.  This has worked for the most part, but I had one error message and a forced close when using the ebook since this fix.  I don't know if the file is just too big for the nook to navigate easily or if it comes from the fact that you have to select so many TOC pages (Contents, Book, Chapter, Verse) before you get to the text.  I am going to try it for a little while longer and see if it happens again.  

Thanks for the suggestions.

New User
Nerdy-Gymnast
0 Kudos

I also contacted the support line and it turns out that the eBook itself was the issue. The technician said that if you call the support line you will be able to get your money back and they will also send a message to the publisher alerting them to the problem which should be solved in a matter of weeks.