Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
jordanhb
0 Kudos

Extremely disappointed with Barnes and noble

I was lucky enough to receive a nook for Christmas yesterday and was very excited to start using it.  To my vast disappointment, however, it ended up causing me no end of frustration yesterday, rather than the joy which it should have.  I purchased a book to read on it but was unable to download the book at all yesterday.  My nook would either give me error messages or simply hang on the queuing screen.  I tried downloading my purchase on my PC as well so I could try to transfer it manually to my Nook but ran into the same problems there.  I finally resorted to downloading some books from Kobo (one of Barne's and Noble's competitors) and transferring them manually so that I had something to read. 

I was finally able to download my books earlier this morning, which was an improvement to be sure.  I have to say though that so far my opinion of the Nook and Barnes and Noble in general are not good.  I am hoping that Barnes and Noble will come through with some type of compensation for those of us who they've made such a poor impression upon so far.

Contributor
ImageisEverything

The litigious attitude

Being a lawyer, perhaps I shouldn't be saying this, but this expectation of "compensation" being expressed by a number of disappointed nook users because of the problems experienced yesterday is both telling and depressing.  Have we really reached that point in our social interactions that every slight, every error, every delay deserves compensation?  What a perversion of a holiday Christmas has become when all it's about is new gadgets and instant gratification and, then, angry retribution instead of patience and forgiveness when technology fails. 

Personally, I'd like to see a statement on The Daily from a high muckity-muck at B&N apologizing for the fact that B&N employees are human too, just like the rest of us who are bombarding the message board and customer support with our frustrations and anger.  That is all I want and all I deserve. 

Reader
otto326
0 Kudos

Re: Extremely disappointed with Barnes and noble

We experienced the same thing yesterday and the problem must have been with the thousands trying to access the server to download their books.  I believe Apple had this same problem with their iPhone when it first came out. 

I was more surprised at BN for not allowing the 10% discount on the nook and the accessories...not even on the eBooks!! If I see myself stop buying the real thing which is almost unthinkable! I guess I won't be needing to pay the $25.00 yearly fee anymore.

Hope you're able to better appreciate the nook today and in the days to come.

Inspired Contributor
Holly_Snowe
0 Kudos

Re: The litigious attitude

Amen to that, and a Happy Boxing Day to you both!

Inspired Contributor
Joelmbenge
0 Kudos

Holly_Snowe wrote:

Amen to that, and a Happy Boxing Day to you both!

Float like a butterfly.  Sting like a bee!

You should all be happy to have yours, and not be watiting. . . like me.  :smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
Socrates20
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous New Year. 

I am an Info Tech person and have been engage in the information technology for 25 years. One thing is, just like a good football game, it is always easier to be an arm chair quarter back, especially after the play to critize.

We are all human, we make out best estimates, but I need and want to remind everyone, that not all the download problems where caused by B&N. I happen to know that parts of the Internet where bogged down yesterday by shear volume. (Ask Apple it has happend to them multiple times, as well as Microsoft, both of whom should be able to handle volumes!)

Nothing is fool proof, and neither is the nook. It is a gen 1 product and is much better than many of the gen 1 products I have worked with over the years. (I love bleeding edge). While this is not bleeding edge technology it is still a gen 1 product.

Mine had the 1.0 release and had some minor issues. 1.1.1 has fixed almost all with the exception of sorting my documents correctly and bookmarks need to be more user friendly.

Be patient. It all comes in due time.

Frequent Contributor
IrishEyes531

I couldn't agree with you more, ImageIsEverything. How sad that people behaved like spoiled children throwing a temper-tantrum. I was also frustrated, but really, there are much more important things in life. Instead of burrowing into the book I wanted to download yesterday, I spent the time with my daughter. I trusted that B&N would have the issue resolved, and sure enough, when I woke up this morning, my Nook worked perfectly. I couldn't be happier!

I even sent a "thank you" e-mail to Customer Service, hoping to make up even just a little bit for what must surely be thousands of complaints they are getting. (They upgraded my order to overnight shipping so it would get here in time for Christmas.) I don't feel like they "owe" me anything, although a gesture would be very nice, such as the statement you mentioned. An acknowledgment.

As an aside, I don't really celebrate "Christmas" in the Christian sense of the word. I celebrate it as a time to spend with family, to give one another gifts that bring delight and to brighten up winter (although in SoCal, it is hardly dreary). I am not at all surprised by the lack of "Christmas spirit" and "goodwill toward men" displayed by many of the posters here on Christmas Day. It is just another reminder of the sanctimonious, hypocritical attitude displayed by most year-round.

New User
max10
0 Kudos

Xmas gift for me too. Had the same problem yesterday as far as downloading books. Today download works but cannot get 1.1 update, nook and computer lock up with USB connection and customer support is too busy to talk. "call back later". I bet they are swamped today with all the problems xmas day. I'll give them a chance for a day or two.

New User
HomerPA
0 Kudos

I'm having trouble also, but w/ the ereader- new version. Bought two new  books, and when i started reading i noticed right away that there are sentences/ passages missing between pages.

I managed to get one book downloaded on the older version of ereader, and that fixed it for that book. (unfortunately, the book sucks-- oh well!) but the program calls for the newer verion for the 2nd book.

Can't get through to tech support, so I figure they're swamped. However, after reading about all the downloading issues on this forum, i'm just gonna wait a day or two then download the books again and take if from there.

Happy Holidays! :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
MaxP
0 Kudos

ImageisEverything wrote:

Being a lawyer, perhaps I shouldn't be saying this, but this expectation of "compensation" being expressed by a number of disappointed nook users because of the problems experienced yesterday is both telling and depressing.  Have we really reached that point in our social interactions that every slight, every error, every delay deserves compensation?  What a perversion of a holiday Christmas has become when all it's about is new gadgets and instant gratification and, then, angry retribution instead of patience and forgiveness when technology fails. 

Personally, I'd like to see a statement on The Daily from a high muckity-muck at B&N apologizing for the fact that B&N employees are human too, just like the rest of us who are bombarding the message board and customer support with our frustrations and anger.  That is all I want and all I deserve. 

I totally agree.  What I don't understand is why people expect the launch to be absolutely perfect! I can rattle off a long list of new electronics that had issues during the first few months following the launch.

New User
Annsnook
0 Kudos

i too was very dissapointed with the nook yesterday when i called for tech support yesterday and their message that there was no tech support today because it was christmas , ok, " Merry Christmas to all".

today i called tech support started at 10:10 am,pressed #2 for tech support and waited till 10:16 when Ann Marie answered an told me my problem was a digital issue and told me to call another number 866-877-9064 ,so i did and waited patiently  from 10:19 an to 10:51 for an answer in which I did not get, so  I tried tech support again at 10:53 , after dialing the number, pressing #2 for tech support, Reggie answered,and I discussed my problems with the nook and he couldn't help me cause he wasn't a tech support technician he was customer support and urged me to call digital support this afternoon.

New User
drdweiss
0 Kudos

I had the same problem yesterday.  In additon to that some of the books that I have downloaded give me nothing but a table of contents and white pages instead of text.  I am able to download the book to my computer but when I try to transfer it to my nook - or when I download directly to the nook I get the same white page error.  Frustrated.

New User
drdweiss
0 Kudos

I would also like to see a message on the Daily addressing some of these issues and letting us know that they are aware of the problems and working on a solution.  Perhaps then there would not be so much anxiety out there.  I have not been able to reach support by phone - obviously because they are being bombarded.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

I think it's not so much the actual delays and the problems yesterday, but B&N's total failure of communication.  I know my frustration boiled over and I had a fairly testy post on here last week about compensation for missing shipping deadlines (again), but it wasn't so much the actual delay as it was being outright lied to (or not communicated with at all).  For me, the breaking point was when I went to check on my account page (which I did regularly), and discovered the big red message saying that if I didn't confirm my order it would be cancelled.  Of course I confirmed, but to this date, I have NEVER received an e-mail warning me to go confirm my order status.  If I hadn't been personally diligent in checking my status daily, I would have not found out until it was too late.  

I think a lot of yesterday's frustration (which I didn't experience because I didn't need to download any books yesterday) could have been headed off by a pop up message here or on the front page of BN.com saying that there is a server problem and the company is working diligently to get it back up.  But (other than Kevin posting here late in the day) to have no official communication and to leave people completely floundering, with no tech support available, is going to cause the internet equivalent of a riot.  And yes, I know that it was Christmas, and everyone deserves a day off, but to repeatedly delay almost everyone's shipment until the 24th, and then not have anyone available in tech support the very next day, regardless of whether or not it's a holiday, is a giant retail FAIL.  

New User
USMC2602
0 Kudos

I got my Nook yesterday and, like many others here was disappointed and frustrated to not be able to use it the first day.  What I would have liked was an announcement/acknowledgment somewhere on this site about the ongoing issue.  I did look and the only thing that tipped me off to the problem was the volume of complaints about the inability to download.  When I saw that I knew immediately that the issue was with B&N and not with me.  Like the lawyer, I don't expect compensation; there's nothing in this situation to warrant it.  I hope that B&N learns that communication is important.

New User
Doctorbee
0 Kudos

I'd be totally content waiting for BN to fix their servers and the firmware and the device itself IF this is the only device and the first to market. I feel stupid not getting a Kindle because all of our family books are with Amazon (through the Wife). I still like the way the device looks, feels, their 'lend' option, more open format, etc. But why go through this when you have a very viable option, aka Kindle?

New User
jordanhb
0 Kudos

ImageisEverything wrote:

I don't consider the total inability to use the device for its intended purpose for over 24 hours to be a minor issue.  And I don't expect anything in terms of compensation.  However, at the moment my opinion of Barnes and Noble is not a good one, and if they hope to keep me as a customer in the future they'll need to do something to improve  that opinion.  Poor experiences and no response are not the right way to create loyal and happy customers.

Frequent Contributor
Blue_Fedora
0 Kudos

USMC2602 wrote:

I got my Nook yesterday and, like many others here was disappointed and frustrated to not be able to use it the first day.  What I would have liked was an announcement/acknowledgment somewhere on this site about the ongoing issue.  I did look and the only thing that tipped me off to the problem was the volume of complaints about the inability to download.  When I saw that I knew immediately that the issue was with B&N and not with me.  Like the lawyer, I don't expect compensation; there's nothing in this situation to warrant it.  I hope that B&N learns that communication is important.

Sadly, I don't think they will. They didn't learn it between 11/29 (day before initial expected shipping/delivery) and 12/25 (day of the massive download fail) so chances are they feel they're doing a bang-up job. Sure, if all you're looking at is the balance sheet.  People, people, people - this is a relationship not just a purchase. You bought the nook and now need to buy ebooks. If B&N behaves poorly before you get your nook (and before they have your cash), what incentive is there for them to start behaving properly after they have your $259 + tax?

Contributor
jgarreth

Why should people think they should be "compensated" for every little thing???  If you don't like a product or the service, return it.  That's why we are such a "sue happy" society.  Everyone thinks they should get something for nothing.