Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
bookloverNC
0 Kudos

Formatting taking forever!

I'm trying to read one of my ebooks, and it says it's formatting for a very long time.  In fact, it's been an hour and it still hasn't changed screens.  I don't know if it's getting stuck or what.  Please help!

Contributor
kaseymeredith
0 Kudos

Re: Formatting taking forever!

That happened to me too! Your nook is actually frozen, and will not turn off/on. All I did was hold down the power button for about 30 seconds, and the touch screen went blank, but the "Formatting" screen stayed on. Then I held down the power button again for about 15 seconds and the entire thing turned off. I would try that, considering it fixed my problem! Good luck :smileyhappy:

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

bookloverNC wrote:

I'm trying to read one of my ebooks, and it says it's formatting for a very long time.  In fact, it's been an hour and it still hasn't changed screens.  I don't know if it's getting stuck or what.  Please help!

There is definitely a bug.  Particularly if you can use the Nook "home" button to move away from the book.

It is reported that it may be fixed in a "January" update.

For me it is hitting a number of books in PDB format that were downloaded from B&N.  A work around is to copy the book from the B&N folder to the My Documents folder. 

Note it can even happen that a book that was working stops working.  (and without a software release change).  E.g.  My Nook for example came Dec 30, and immediately downloaded the 1.1.1 software.  I already had a eBook from B&N and downloaded it and started reading it.  Now it can not be read.  Tried all the suggestions from B&N including archiving and re-downloading, unregistering and reregistering and re downloaded.  No luck until I copied it over to the My Documents folder.

Reader
Ken-in-Arlington
0 Kudos

I'm finding that this consistently happens on any purchased book I have looked at with the Desktop Reader.

Very frustrating 

Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

Follow TNS's advice.  Sideload the book into your My Document folder.  That should fix the issue.

New User
radaddy
0 Kudos

Thanks alot for suggesting the relocation of the file to my document.  I worked for me.  I have just received my nook a couple of days ago.  Down loaded a King James Bible, then it hung up.  I have the same symptoms as the ones described by the others.  Any way, I am very happy now.

thanks again