Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
DemonicDuck
0 Kudos

Giving an ebook as a gift

Is it possible for me to purchase an ebook for someone else as a gift so it would appear to their computer\smart phone\nook\whatever and not mine?

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Re: Giving an ebook as a gift

DemonicDuck wrote:

Is it possible for me to purchase an ebook for someone else as a gift so it would appear to their computer\smart phone\nook\whatever and not mine?

Sorry, Demonic,

You can send someone a nook, but you cannot "gift" an eBook at this time.

Reader
JP-BN
0 Kudos

So, if I understand this correctly, I cannot load a few gift books into the nook I've pre-ordered for my brother for Christmas (don't tell him!)?  Nor can I buy him a B&N gift card to buy books for his nook with?

Can I load it with non-B&N books?  This seems counter-intuitive to the success of your product and sale of books from your company.  I always give books as gifts at Christmas, so I hope your tech folks can figure this out quickly.  Thanks!

Reader
JP-BN
0 Kudos

A bit more, and not to sound snarky--but--it looks like I can purchase the books I would gift at ebooks.com and load them manually onto the nook I am gifting for Christmas.  Is this correct?  If so, they also offer a gift card option that I could gift for purchasing ebooks with.  Again, if this is so, it would seem to make sense to offer this for your native store rather than drive business to a competitor.

It looks like a great product, and I look forward to getting one of my own.

Inspired Contributor
stirwise
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I don't know the feasibility of pre-loading books for him, but you could buy him a gift certificate for a nook-compatible seller, like eReader.com or Fictionwise. He'd have to side-load the books (rather than download them wirelessly), but at least that way you've given him some free books to go with his new nook.

Hope that helps.

If you wanted to try to pre-load books, you may run into trouble with DRM, as the files would effectively be linked to you and not him, and he might run into trouble when he tries to load his own books.

Reader
JP-BN
0 Kudos

This just came up this afternoon and will meet my needs:

More good news on the eBook front: We'll soon accept Barnes & Noble gift cards as payment in our eBook store.

This change — effective in mid-December — will allow customers to use physical gift cards and online gift certificates to purchase eBooks through our site, through nook, and through other devices using the B&N eReader software.

We'll have full details (including the specific launch date) in mid-December.

In the meantime, we want to say thanks for your suggestions and enthusiasm. We were able to accelerate this change due in part to the customer feedback.

Thanks again for your support. And happy reading.