Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
ajkernst1817
0 Kudos

HELP!!! My nook is frozen - won't even turn off!!!

I need assistance.  My nook is froze on a table of content screen for a copy of Pride and Prejudice.  I can not even get it to power down.

Thanks

Inspired Contributor
Holly_Snowe
0 Kudos

Re: HELP!!! My nook is frozen - won't even turn off!!!

Some people have had good luck forcing it to reboot by removing the battery. 

Also, they say plug it into the wall, then put the battery back in. I hope that helps you out...Good Luck!

New User
Mskadox
0 Kudos

Ok, I'm having the same problem.  Mine froze up on pg 5 of the intro!  But there is no user guide or manual (was there supposed to be one?).  How do I remove the battery?  I don't want to mess with anything and break it on the first day!

Inspired Contributor
Martlet

Try this:  Take off the back of the unit.  With a small screwdriver, unscrew the battery and remove it.  Plug the unit into an AC receptacle using the USB cord and adapter.  That should power the unit on.  Keep it plugged in and insert the battery.  It should then begin to charge.

Inspired Contributor
Holly_Snowe
0 Kudos

If you need help with any other problems you should click on Martlet's name and look at their recent posts...they're really informative when it comes to common problems and quick fixes!

New User
Mskadox
0 Kudos

Excellent!  Thank you!  Can I bookmark Martlet?  I'm usually pretty savvy when it comes to this stuff, but I think the anticipation in this case (and the fact that I didn't even make it past pg 5 of the intro before encountering my first hiccup) has me a bit flustered!  I really appreciate the help.

Inspired Contributor
Martlet
0 Kudos

Mskadox wrote:

Excellent!  Thank you!  Can I bookmark Martlet?  I'm usually pretty savvy when it comes to this stuff, but I think the anticipation in this case (and the fact that I didn't even make it past pg 5 of the intro before encountering my first hiccup) has me a bit flustered!  I really appreciate the help.

Let me know if that works.  If not, I'll play with other possibilities.

New User
Mskadox
0 Kudos

That seems to have worked to reboot the unit.  I actually saw color on the bottom screen for the first time!  But, I was a little frustrated to see that even though my battery had a full charge when I turned it on a little over three hours ago, the battery life indicator says it is completely depleted and needs to be recharged.

Inspired Contributor
Martlet
0 Kudos

Mskadox wrote:

That seems to have worked to reboot the unit.  I actually saw color on the bottom screen for the first time!  But, I was a little frustrated to see that even though my battery had a full charge when I turned it on a little over three hours ago, the battery life indicator says it is completely depleted and needs to be recharged.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it does it again.  It's entirely possible the initial reading wasn't accurate.  That's why they say to charge it before you do anything else.  The light goes out when it's plugged in and fully charged.   When they fully discharge, they seem to have this lock-up issue.  That will likely be fixed through a patch eventually.  In the meantime, just keep an eye on it when you're first using it.  You can also use it while charging, it just charges slower. 

On the settings screen, you can view the % of the charge.

New User
Mskadox
0 Kudos

Thanks, I will keep an eye on this since I did charge the unit before I did anything with it.  I charged it fully yesterday, but since it was Christmas Eve and I was extremely busy, I did not have a chance to so much as turn it on until after dinner tonight.  Within the first ten minutes it was locked up.  If it fully discharged overnight, when the unit wasn't even on, that's a BIG problem!

Inspired Contributor
Martlet
0 Kudos

Mskadox wrote:

Thanks, I will keep an eye on this since I did charge the unit before I did anything with it.  I charged it fully yesterday, but since it was Christmas Eve and I was extremely busy, I did not have a chance to so much as turn it on until after dinner tonight.  Within the first ten minutes it was locked up.  If it fully discharged overnight, when the unit wasn't even on, that's a BIG problem!

How's your 3G coverage?  If it's constantly trying to connect, that drains the battery.  You may also just have a crap battery.  That happens.   If you have a lousy network, you may want to consider keeping it in airplane mode when you aren't actively trying to connect.  That could preserve battery life.

Inspired Contributor
Holly_Snowe
0 Kudos

I agree. It's a HUGE problem. Having the WiFi turned on it took two and a half hours to go from 100% charged to 27% charged when I finally plugged it back into the wall this morning. 

I've heard rumors that this is something they can fix with a software update, and if you turn Airplane Mode on I've heard the battery will last almost three days. Pretty pathetic compared to the other ereaders on the market, but if they can fix it with an update then I don't suppose it's a dealbreaker for me. 

Inspired Contributor
Martlet
0 Kudos

Holly_Snowe wrote:

I agree. It's a HUGE problem. Having the WiFi turned on it took two and a half hours to go from 100% charged to 27% charged when I finally plugged it back into the wall this morning. 

I've heard rumors that this is something they can fix with a software update, and if you turn Airplane Mode on I've heard the battery will last almost three days. Pretty pathetic compared to the other ereaders on the market, but if they can fix it with an update then I don't suppose it's a dealbreaker for me. 

Hopefully.  I leave mine fully functional, and have no battery issues at all.

New User
Mskadox
0 Kudos

How's your 3G coverage?  If it's constantly trying to connect, that drains the battery.  You may also just have a crap battery.  That happens.   If you have a lousy network, you may want to consider keeping it in airplane mode when you aren't actively trying to connect.  That could preserve battery life.

3G coverage is excellent.  Have absolutely no problems with my Blackberry.  Also have great WiFi in house. (Not that my nook was up long enough to connect to my home WiFi.)  I hope they do come up with a fix soon.  I'd really hate for this problem to persist.  And I also hope they have Customer Service on staff tomorrow!  If they want this launch to continue it's momentum, they need to support us out of the gate.  I have friends who are waiting on my reaction to my nook to decide which e-Reader they will choose.  I'd really love to give a glowing recommendation.

Inspired Contributor
Holly_Snowe
0 Kudos

You're the only person I've seen so far who's mentioned that they're battery works perfectly. If its a software problem they should be able to fix it, but if it's not I'm sure we'll be able to get either new batteries or new Nooks to fix the problems. Besides...wouldn't  that 'Queueing' message we've all been getting for hours on end have something to do with it? Mine came in the mail yesterday so I don't have any non-server problem time to compare it to! :smileytongue:

Inspired Contributor
Martlet
0 Kudos

Holly_Snowe wrote:

You're the only person I've seen so far who's mentioned that they're battery works perfectly. If its a software problem they should be able to fix it, but if it's not I'm sure we'll be able to get either new batteries or new Nooks to fix the problems. Besides...wouldn't  that 'Queueing' message we've all been getting for hours on end have something to do with it? Mine came in the mail yesterday so I don't have any non-server problem time to compare it to! :smileytongue:

Queueing absolutely would affect it.  Anytime the unit is working, it's using battery power.  I don't know if mine works "perfectly", but I have no complaints.  I used it for about 5 days, leaving everything on, and had 50% charge left when I plugged it in today.

Inspired Contributor
Holly_Snowe
0 Kudos

You're the only person I've seen so far who's mentioned that they're battery works perfectly. If its a software problem they should be able to fix it, but if it's not I'm sure we'll be able to get either new batteries or new Nooks to fix the problems. Besides...wouldn't  that 'Queueing' message we've all been getting for hours on end have something to do with it? Mine came in the mail yesterday so I don't have any non-server problem time to compare it to! :smileytongue:

Queueing absolutely would affect it.  Anytime the unit is working, it's using battery power.  I don't know if mine works "perfectly", but I have no complaints.  I used it for about 5 days, leaving everything on, and had 50% charge left when I plugged it in today.

Thank God!! I have hope!! It's been such a weird day with the servers I don't know how much of my Nook experience so far can be trusted! You've been such a champ today, trying to answer everyone's questions and get them up and running with the experience you've had since you got your Nook. I'm sure nobody has said this enough to you today, but thank you for your help and Merry Christmas!

Inspired Contributor
Martlet
0 Kudos

Holly_Snowe wrote:

Thank God!! I have hope!! It's been such a weird day with the servers I don't know how much of my Nook experience so far can be trusted! You've been such a champ today, trying to answer everyone's questions and get them up and running with the experience you've had since you got your Nook. I'm sure nobody has said this enough to you today, but thank you for your help and Merry Christmas!

You're welcome.  No thanks necessary.  I love my Nook and would hate to see people miss out on it just because BN has had such crappy service.   Also, my wife put in a chick flick that blows, so I have to do something while I'm sitting here pretending to watch it.

Inspired Contributor
Holly_Snowe
0 Kudos

Also, my wife put in a chick flick that blows, so I have to do something while I'm sitting here pretending to watch it.

Ha! My husband is watching The Coneheads on his ipod. I'm feelin' ya. :smileytongue:

New User
Mskadox
0 Kudos

Lol! Four people in my house, all with their noses in a new piece of technology!  I think I'm going to write a new Christmas song about it while I'm waiting for the "Barnes & Noble Desktop Reader has stopped working...A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." problem to be resolved so I can finally download a book!