Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
383bigblock
0 Kudos

How Many Nooks per account

I have a Kindle and am thinking about getting the Nook. Right now I can have up to 6 kindles tied to an account so if I buy a series of books everyone on my account can download the book. That way my wife and my son can download and read the book without have to purchase it again. How does that work with the Nook and B&N.  Can I have multiple Nooks that all have access to the same books or do I have to have a separate account for each Nook and each nook is required to purchase its own copy of the book.

I like the e-Ink on the Kindle and the fact you can surf the web too (not very convenient but nice when working a NYT crossword puzzle).  Is there a way of putting my Kindle ebooks on to the Nook even if there is not a convenient way of doing it.  That would make the Nook more appealing if I don't have make duplicate purchases just to have the book on more than one device in my family.

Thanks

Michael

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

Re: How Many Nooks per account

You are able to register multiple nooks to one account.  Any nooks registered to the same account would have access to the same library and eBooks. 

Kindle eBooks are not compatible with nook. 

Frequent Contributor
pidgeon92
0 Kudos

Josh_W wrote:

You are able to register multiple nooks to one account.  Any nooks registered to the same account would have access to the same library and eBooks. 

Please verify:
There is no limit to the number of devices on your account, or the number of devices to which you can load any particular book?
Frequent Contributor
Rutter9
0 Kudos

If your ebooks are DRM free then you can convert them.

Here's how you can check.

1. Get your kindle ebook and change the .azw file extension to .mobi

2. Load into Calibre.

3. Click convert, select ePub.

If it gives you an error on DRM, then it has DRM. If it doesn't then you are free to convert into ePub. (or pdf)

Sure you can strip the DRM but that's "illegal".

Contributor
EDantesDA
0 Kudos

my wife and I each have a nook, and we're syncing to the same account.  I was able to download all the books from my online locker and she was able to as well.  So, now we are reading the same book, and can talk about the book as we go. I would just be careful, because each nook can purchase books and your account will be charged (only once per book, though).

One limit that I can think of, though is with the Adobe Digital Content.  They only allow you to register 6 devices, so if you buy books through them and side-load them, you may run out of "registrations".

New User
383bigblock
0 Kudos

Thanks for the replies.  It sounds like the account structure works the same as Kindle.  I guess I need to hold the Nook and see if I like it.  My biggest complaint about the original Kindle is that too much area on the sides of the reader was dedicated to turning pages.  So everytime you picked it up from the coffee table if you had set it down you accidentally turned the pages.  They've changed that on the latest version and made it really thin (I had the opportunity to play with someone elses and it was nice).  I just need to go to B&N and handle theirs.

I would also be interested in seeing if some of my favorite authors that don't have releases on the Kindle have releases on B&N.  That could be the deciding factor. I'm pretty loyal to Kindle since they really did a good job with their initial version and made appropriate improvements on the 2nd version. I would expect any vendor that comes out later to have improved on all of the original Kindles deficiencies.....if not then they weren't paying attention to the user's needs and I would have no expectation that they could add innovation to the product in the future.

Michael