New User
abbadabado
0 Kudos

How do you download music onto your nook?

I can't figure out how to download music onto my nook. Can anyone help?

Reader 2
Boogedyboo
0 Kudos

Re: How do you download music onto your nook?

You have to sideload it onto your nook.

Instructions for PC/Windows computer:

1. Have nook connected to computer via USB

2. Under My Computer, double click on drive labeled nook

3. Should see a folder called my music

4. Copy and paste any music you want into that folder

5. Eject Nook and unplug from USB

6. New music now listed under the open audio player

Frequent Contributor
DiggerJim
0 Kudos

BTW, as the manual states, it doesn't support playlists or any other way to control the music playback except the shuffle mode. If you're expecting standard MP3 player functionality you'll be disappointed. It's more of a way to get some basic background music playing and will likely improve in functionality over time (software driven) - just don't expect too much right now. 

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Boogedyboo wrote:

You have to sideload it onto your nook.

Instructions for PC/Windows computer:

1. Have nook connected to computer via USB

2. Under My Computer, double click on drive labeled nook

3. Should see a folder called my music

4. Copy and paste any music you want into that folder

5. Eject Nook and unplug from USB

6. New music now listed under the open audio player

If new music not found, tap check for new content (not new B&N content) and or power cycle the nook.

Note Be sure to put music in its proper place on the nook, and be sure its mp3 only.

Some insist that with a microSD card you can put music anywhere, but anywhere does not include the root of the microsd card if you have a lot of music. There are limitation on the root directory size, some of which are due to old driver technology in android.

Better than copy and past is drag and drop entire directory structures into my music.  That way when B&N finally releases a competent mp3 player you will be able to play selected albums etc.  

New User
arosebyanyothername
0 Kudos

This is not working!  When I plug in my nook it shows up on the computer as being there but I can't access my music or anybooks that I have downloaded from anywhere but Barnes and Noble.  My husband is a network engineer and he has been trying to figure this out all afternoon!

Frequent Contributor
crane2
0 Kudos

arosebyanyothername wrote:

This is not working!  When I plug in my nook it shows up on the computer as being there but I can't access my music or anybooks that I have downloaded from anywhere but Barnes and Noble.  My husband is a network engineer and he has been trying to figure this out all afternoon!

You might try the hard shutdown: hold the button for 8-10 sec; then press to turn the nook back on.

Had similar problem & somehow got it working.   But also did a reformat of the SD card via usb (very slow), created some directories & added mp3 files.  The nook only displayed the prior mp3 files as probably had written it onto its main memory somewhere; was pissed & did the hard shutdown again & the new mp3 is now recognized.

Now I'm thinking a couple of hard shutdowns is needed because the nook had already stored the fact that there were no mp3?  Don't make sense as some people don't have any problems....

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

This has nothing to do with networking.

Put the content onto the MicroSD card in the directories provided by B&N.

Music (mp3s only) in my music

Ebooks in my Documents, etc

Properly dismount (eject, safely remove) the nook. (Start, Computer, right click the drive letter and select eject.  The little tray icon thingie does not properly safely remove. (If the USB cable image does not go away that is your clue that it was not safely removed.)

Remember to go to My documents on the nook home screen, and search for new content.

Alternatively power cycle the nook.

Do not format the card as recommended above unless you have an additional microSD card that you added.

New User
mepelephants
0 Kudos

This is not working. It is showing on the computer that it has loaded, but when I try to eject the nook, it says that it hasn't saved!! Please help me.

New User
TurkeyJ
0 Kudos

I've tried as you suggested to past music from my PC  to the music folder in my Nook.  HOWEVER;  out of a list of about 25 songs that I have tried to load again and again, I can only find 5 in my nook library.

Where are the rest?

Thanks.

TurkeyJ

Important Links

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:53 members 499 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: