Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
JD05

Kandle light Review and Pics!

[ Edited ]

Got my Kandle in the mail today.  This is a nice reading light for the nook.  It has gotten rave reviews on Amazon from Kindle owners.  Consider me a happy Kandle/nook owner.

The Kandle is small and light.  It comes with batteries (CR2302) pre-installed and comes with an EXTRA set in the box; a very nice touch.

The Kandle fits securely on the nook and will not fall off with gentle shaking.  It will fly off if you shake it hard but I don't foresee any violent shaking while I'm reading.

The Kandle provides more than enough light to comfortably read in complete darkness.  The two rotating arms allow you to customize the angle of the light to eliminate glare.

What more can I say, it's great!

This picture really does not do the Kandle justice.  There is a lot more glare in the photo than is observed in real life.  Blame it on my camera.

-----------------------------------
User manual: http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pimages/nook/download/User_Guide_nook.pdf
Remove the back cover: 25; Install microSD: 115; Wallpapers: 57, 113 (Use 600 x 760); Screensavers: 57, 112 (600 x 800)
Frequent Contributor
ScrappersNook
0 Kudos

Re: Kandle light Review and Pics!

That look like a nice light, love the shape of it.  I haven't tried reading at night with a book light, yet, but I have one I'm going to try...if it doesn't work, I'll have to find something that will...but I do like the looks of the one you have.  Nice.  

Inspired Contributor
oceans1
0 Kudos

Oh wow. Your pics are  sort of cut off to the side or something but man from what i can see , i gotta' have one of these!!!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

oceans1 wrote:

Oh wow. Your pics are  sort of cut off to the side or something but man from what i can see , i gotta' have one of these!!!

No scroll bars on your browser Oceans?  But yeah, pics way bigger than necessary.

Looks like the top of the page is way brighter than the bottom part of the page.

Frequent Contributor
four0six
0 Kudos

Assassin's Creed fan eh?  ACII was great!

Nice light btw, but those pics are HUGE!

Inspired Contributor
oceans1
0 Kudos

That was not meant as a criticism. The computer that i was on did not load a scroll bar across the bottom at all or i would have used it. I am on a diff computer now and they look perfect.

Distinguished Correspondent
Globaltech
0 Kudos

Oh man, using a Kindle's Kandle on a Nook.

That's perverted.  I like it :smileywink:

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Contributor
oldsewnsew
0 Kudos

I received my Kandle yesterday, too.  I love it!

Inspired Correspondent
nickels
0 Kudos

Is the bottom of the page readable, as the photos make the bottom of the nook seem under-illuminated and hard to read? I assume that is due to the camera and the difficulty of taking a low light photo.

Contributor
HannahK1012
0 Kudos

Thanks for posting this review! I wasn't aware of this product before.

Question: While reading at a normal angle, can you see the LEDs directly, or just the light coming off of them? The LED light I have currently works pretty well, but staring at the LEDs directly hurts my eyes, especially when the rest of the room is completely dark.

Reader 2
acbVA
0 Kudos

I got mine yesterday.  For me, the bottom of the page is a bit dark but still visable.  I like the way it fits on the Nook.  Much better than the Lyra light in my opinion.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

acbVA wrote:

I got mine yesterday.  For me, the bottom of the page is a bit dark but still visable.  I like the way it fits on the Nook.  Much better than the Lyra light in my opinion.

If you have the lyra light, have you tried turning the clip around?  :smileyhappy:Some people have said they had it on the wrong way and were really peeved that it wasn't secure.  It actually is supposed to be used a certain way to match the nook profile.  They turned the clip around and it fits snugly.  I love mine and clip it to the cover, not the nook itself.  I like that I can move it around so that there are no hotspots or glare on the nook case or screen.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

Nice looking light. Thanks for posting. Are there any reports on battery life?

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Contributor
nookverse
0 Kudos

Nice review. (And the AC wallpaper looks pretty cool, so bonus.) Thanks for sharing!

Beth
www.nookverse.com
Frequent Contributor
DemonicDuck
0 Kudos

does the Kandle look like it would scratch the nook or is it padded or something?

Inspired Contributor
JD05
0 Kudos

DemonicDuck wrote:

does the Kandle look like it would scratch the nook or is it padded or something?

The Kandle is padded on both sides.  I don't think it will scratch the nook.

nookverse wrote:

Nice review. (And the AC wallpaper looks pretty cool, so bonus.) Thanks for sharing!

Beth
www.nookverse.com

Thanks!!  Got the AC wallpaper at www.nook-look.com.  Great site for nook wallpapers!

JohnP51 wrote:

Nice looking light. Thanks for posting. Are there any reports on battery life?

John

No reports on battery life.  Will post back after the first set dies.

HannahK1012 wrote:

Thanks for posting this review! I wasn't aware of this product before.

Question: While reading at a normal angle, can you see the LEDs directly, or just the light coming off of them? The LED light I have currently works pretty well, but staring at the LEDs directly hurts my eyes, especially when the rest of the room is completely dark.

Nope, the LED's are fully enclosed inside the swing arm.  You can also tilt the light inward to ensure you won't see the LEDs.  It provides really comfortable reading light.

nickels wrote:

Is the bottom of the page readable, as the photos make the bottom of the nook seem under-illuminated and hard to read? I assume that is due to the camera and the difficulty of taking a low light photo.

Bottom of the page is completely readable.  The bottom of the page is more well lit than the picture indicates.  Blame it on my iPhone camera.

-----------------------------------
User manual: http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pimages/nook/download/User_Guide_nook.pdf
Remove the back cover: 25; Install microSD: 115; Wallpapers: 57, 113 (Use 600 x 760); Screensavers: 57, 112 (600 x 800)
New User
kanayda
0 Kudos

Do you have a screen protector on your nook?  if so, which one?  Thanks for the pics and review!

Frequent Contributor
AkilahR
0 Kudos

CR32 batteries are small and hold a tiny charge -- this does not seem practical IMHO.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

AkilahR wrote:

CR32 batteries are small and hold a tiny charge -- this does not seem practical IMHO.

My thoughts exactly. 

Run time can't be good. With tripple A batteries you could expect 40 hours.

Frequent Contributor
JenRuiz
0 Kudos

JD05 you just convinced me to buy a Kandle. I bought the Lyra Light orginally but in just the few weeks that I have had it I know its not for me. So thanks for the review and the pics, they really helped me.