Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
lilio
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

MP3 player on Nook

Ok, so my nickname should be techidiot :smileysad:  :

Two questions:  How does one load music to the MP3 player onboard Nook, and why is it mono rather than stereo?

Did you know that men seem to be able to focus better with music or noise in the background and women do not.  It helps male students to study to have music, but distracts female.  No value judgements here now, just and interesting fact. This means I will either listen or read.   May also explain why the stove fan drives me plumb nuts!

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W

Re: MP3 player on Nook

Thanks for your inquiry lilio.  You can load MP3's onto nook through a USB connection or a micro SD memory card. 

The bulit in speaker for nook is mono.  However, use of headphones should be in stereo.

Correspondent
rhayes
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You know, I've been wonderng about one of Lillio's questions--the one about the nook's speaker(s).

The tech specs say "Built-in mono speaker." But some of the photos of the nook clearly show two speakers, like the one of the back cover at the bottom of the tech specs page, for example. Or are those two things that look like speakers actually something else? But if so, then where's the single speaker?

Or maybe the nook has two speakers but plays MP3s in mono.

So many of these questions will be answered in a little over a week, or when my nook shows up somewhere around the middle of December.

Inspired Correspondent
lilio
0 Kudos

Thanks Josh,  More later on how do I load the SD card.  The speaker makes sense, and I will certainly get earphones.  I can listen to my collection of requiems (go figure, I just like to contrast them) while my hubby listens to sports or talk radio!  Thanks again

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

lilio wrote:

How does one load music to the MP3 player onboard Nook, and why is it mono rather than stereo?

Simple - IT'S a BOOK !!  NOT AN IPOD !!

As someone else just pointed out - IT'S A BOOK - being sold by a BOOKSTORE

It's not a do everything cellphone, gps, mp3, map, application, email, browser, story reader, nightlight, stun gun, keyboard, calculator, timer, contacts, spreadsheet, word docs, translator, database, garage opener, camera, projector, laser pointer, stapler, tricorder, phaser, etc...

Inspired Correspondent
lilio

ps56k wrote:

lilio wrote:

How does one load music to the MP3 player onboard Nook, and why is it mono rather than stereo?

Simple - IT'S a BOOK !!  NOT AN IPOD !!

As someone else just pointed out - IT'S A BOOK - being sold by a BOOKSTORE

It's not a do everything cellphone, gps, mp3, map, application, email, browser, story reader, nightlight, stun gun, keyboard, calculator, timer, contacts, spreadsheet, word docs, translator, database, garage opener, camera, projector, laser pointer, stapler, tricorder, phaser, etc...

In other posts I have said I did not want a gadget that does everything.  I specifically want a portable library.  However, the documentation to this point says that mp3's can be played on nook.  I was just asking how.  I think I have just been flamed, and frankly, I do not appreciate it.

Inspired Correspondent
njnookman

Lilio,

I think the "two openings" you've seen in pictures are just grilles.  I doubt that nook has more than one speaker, and, even if it did, I wouldn't want to listen to it (remember the transistor radios of a bygone era?)

The real support will be headsets if you want any quality at all.

As to "it's a book, not an iPod...":  if you only want a portable mp3 player or an iPod, nook is probably not optimized for that function.  By that, I mean all the bells and whistles of an iPod interface (not its audio quality), aren't necessarily replicated on nook.  Also, the speaker drains POWER, and the intent of nook is to last a long time while reading a book -- so that 10 days are available with only the reader, but two days if the speakers are turned on.

I think that nook will be an adequate device for listening to music, and, who knows?  It may even be a superior mp3 player!  But in reality -- it's a reader, not a music player, and that is its optimized functionality.

Correspondent
rhayes

Good answer, NJNookman. Your first paragraph addressed my question. Your speaker logic makes sense. 

Inspired Correspondent
lilio
0 Kudos

Thanks NJNookman,

I probably will not be using the mp3 function often, just wondered how it works.  Your comment on power drain is excellent, especially since I want a reader more than an IPod (which I have avoided getting).  Happy Thanksgiving