Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
dreamfields01
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Missing the table of contents in ebooks

I really have not complaints about my nook, I love it.  The new software updated perfectly with no problems. 

However, I have purchased several ebooks that are missing the table of contents listing the chapters in the books which makes impossible to jump ahead in the book other then go to the very end.  I can understand maybe once but this is the third book.  It is very annoying.  Can that be fixed?  Or am I stuck with the defective ebook?

Thanks

Kate

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Missing the table of contents in ebooks

I had a book on My Documents which refused to show the list of chapters as sell.

I have no clue why this was. It was working before the update.  

I went on to read something else and haven't gotten around to looking into it yet.

You might try archiving one of them, and then re-downloading it to see if that fixes it.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

dreamfields01 wrote:

I really have not complaints about my nook, I love it.  The new software updated perfectly with no problems. 

However, I have purchased several ebooks that are missing the table of contents listing the chapters in the books which makes impossible to jump ahead in the book other then go to the very end.  I can understand maybe once but this is the third book.  It is very annoying.  Can that be fixed?  Or am I stuck with the defective ebook?

Thanks

Kate

This sort of problem is most likely the result of poor e-book formatting on the part of publisher (or whoever they outsourced e-book conversion to).  Is it the same publisher for all three books?  

Contributor
dreamfields01
0 Kudos

Yes.  Gena Showalter, but not all her books are like that. 

Normally it would not bother me, however you can not jump to a different page.  Maybe they can add that for the next update.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

I would put in a complaint to both B&N and the publisher about the formatting (the publisher is probably the faster route, since B&N will just pass it along, but it can't hurt to cover all bases).