Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
N4Spd
0 Kudos

More Nook Problems, please help

I bought the Nook for my Wife and she's having multiple problems and it's driving me nuts.  Help B&N...

1. She bought the book "The Lovely Bones".  She can only see 2 Chapters!!!  Tried changing font size, archive/unarchive but no help.  Only 2 chapters of content!!!  Argh...

2. She bought the book "The Girl with the Dragon Tatto".  This one seems to have all the pages but the 1) the page numbers are missing, 2) the page bar at the bottom is missing, 3) the table of content only show Cover so GOTO does NOT WORK...  Argn..

What's next?  Will the next one she buys have all pages and table of contents but come with white text???

Also, who designed and coded this UI should be shot.  It is slow AND it has NO feedback for a really bad combo.  For example, select goto Cover and it does nothing, so I do it again, and again, only to have to go to the cover a few seconds later!!! A prompt that it going somewhere would have been nice.  Remember, even if you just rotate a busy icon and nothing else the user may think you're working faster...  Geez, hire someone competent and do some darn testing (never mind that this thing has crashed already)...

I really like the idea of the Nook and that's why I ordered on day one of the announcement.  You guys are screwing this all up for yourselves B&N.  You're also giving Android a bad reputation for uber slow. Please, someone at B&N reply so that we know you care about the Nook.

Rob

Frequent Contributor
steve10
0 Kudos

Re: More Nook Problems, please help

On a whim, since I was also interested in the book, I downloaded The Lovely Bones.  It worked fine for me.

It's funny, there are more people complaining about the times the eInk does give confirmation as when it doesn't. 

Frequent Contributor
steve10
0 Kudos

Just for kicks, shut it down (as in, hold the power button down until you see it go totally off, aka blank screen as opposed to wallpaper) and then when you power it up, hold two of the page buttons down - one on each side of the display. 

You'll eventually get a message saying it is going to download an update.  Let it do its thing.

In theory, nothing should happen, since although they said an update is imminent, it doesn't seem to be out yet, and this should simply check for an update and do nothing.

However, maybe coincidencence, it seemed to solve a problem for me earlier tonight, when a reboot by itself did not.

Inspired Contributor
Undel
0 Kudos

1. Is it possible she downloaded the sample for "The Lovely Bones" instead of the full book? Two chapters of content would make perfect sense for a sample.

2. Because changing font size will cause text to reflow onto the next "page", I'm not certain that there are page numbers for all ebooks. Someone reading a book with the uber large font size might have a book read as being 600 pages long, while someone reading that same book with a small font size might have a book a that's 400 pages long.

Frequent Contributor
steve10
0 Kudos

Undel, that sounds possible too.  I've also heard of people looking at the sample, and then purchasing the book, and seeing only the sample afterwards.  There might be a bug in that area.  If so, then I would delete the book from the Nook via USB, then re-download.

Contributor
ibrewalot
0 Kudos

On the iTouch version if you change the size of the font you get all the pages renumbered.  I just finished The Templar Legacy...one day I forgot my glasses so I increased the size of the font and went from 1500 pages to 2000 (or thereabouts).  When I changed it back to my normal font size it renumbered the pages again, but there were always page numbers.

Reader 4
ViolaAppassionada
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just got my nook yesterday...I am having the same problem with The Lovely Bones. I downloaded as a sampler because I was curious, was then hooked and decided to buy the full ebook for $7.99. I remember clicking on the "Buy Now" button. I thought the sampler would automatically morph into the full version. It didn't. I didn't see the purchase version. I deleted The Lovely Bones, regardless if it's a sampler or puchase, from my library and thought, "What the heck, I am going to purchase it straight this time, again."

It turned out to be the same thing. Only COVER, chapters ONE and TWO. I assume that there are more chapters and features (as advertised on the Lovely Bones eBook link).

When I tried to open it on my Mac and my iPod Touch, just to see if The Lovely Bones would open, there was a box that required CC information as seen on the card. I am afraid that it's bugged and possibly hacked. Is that box supposed to show up? I thought it did, when I put in my info, it didn't open. I'm upset that I had to toil for this ebook. Can someone help me out? I also emailed BN about this situation. Thanks all.

M9
Frequent Contributor
M9
0 Kudos

one thing about no page numbers. i have had that a lot with my nook. if you open a book to read it and there are no page numbers or progress bar, do not worry. just start reading it and click on up to a few pages and voila! all of a sudden the page numbers and progress bar appear mysteriously.   don't know why.   this also happens sometimes when you change fonts or font sizes.  just keep reading and it will all work out.

Frequent Contributor
kylejohnson
0 Kudos

My understanding is that page numbers might not always show up immediately.  While the Nook is figuring out how many pages there are (based on your font size and the length of the book), it doesn't show the page numbers.  It will once it's done with the calculation.  You can see that in practice by changing the font size.  It'll take a minute or two before the page numbers show up again.

Inspired Correspondent
debiant
0 Kudos

A.  Have you made sure the nook has been updated... Yesterday was a bad day to let it try to upload over the cellular of wifi, since a WHOLE LOT of people got theirs yesterday.  You should check the nook support page for instructions on how to sideload the update if that hasn't been done.  That should make the nook more responsive.

B. Once updated the problems with the books should clear up, if not try sideloading the books (downloading them from the computer instead of over the cellular). 

Reader 4
ViolaAppassionada
0 Kudos

So after turning off the nook for the night, this morning I turned it back on and The Lovely Bones was in its entirety! I thought it was strange. But in any case, I'm glad it got resolved. The nook, upon arrival and turning on for the first time, updated instantly without a hitch. I am happy with my nook!

New User
Arcturus72
0 Kudos

Thank you sir (or ma'am? not sure). Your solution fixed my problem as well.

It pays to read about the issues sometimes, rather than trying to fire off a half cocked email to tech support, it seems...

Contributor
TheDekel
0 Kudos

There was never any problem with the store or your nook. And restarting the device was not the reason why the problem solved itself. Quite simply, after you selected "Buy Now" the nook immidiately added the book to your library, which is why you were able to view it. When you selected to read the book, the nook only displayed what it had available at the time, it did not have enough time to fully download/save/format/etc. the book. If you were to exit the book and open it again later you would have noticed that more chapters are available, and if you were to wait long enough the book would have downloaded completely.

At the same time, the nook was unable to display the page numbers because it never finished downloading all the pages. Perhaps in the future B&N will add some sort of a download progress bar; in the meantime I kind of like the fact that you can view purchased books as they are being added to the device rather than waiting until the download completes.

New User
theorignaljts
0 Kudos

we had a very bad expereince with 2 nooks and b&n support. We waited hours on hold. The software is buggy and the hardware seems unreliable too. We took both back to the local b&n store and got a full refund. The customer service agent told us she has to wait 2 hours to get support too so she waits until she has a batch to return. (a lot are being returned) The only reason I am still a b&n customer is the service at the local store.

Frequent Contributor
violetangel
0 Kudos

N4Spd wrote:

I bought the Nook for my Wife and she's having multiple problems and it's driving me nuts.  Help B&N...

1. She bought the book "The Lovely Bones".  She can only see 2 Chapters!!!  Tried changing font size, archive/unarchive but no help.  Only 2 chapters of content!!!  Argh...

2. She bought the book "The Girl with the Dragon Tatto".  This one seems to have all the pages but the 1) the page numbers are missing, 2) the page bar at the bottom is missing, 3) the table of content only show Cover so GOTO does NOT WORK...  Argn..

What's next?  Will the next one she buys have all pages and table of contents but come with white text???

Also, who designed and coded this UI should be shot.  It is slow AND it has NO feedback for a really bad combo.  For example, select goto Cover and it does nothing, so I do it again, and again, only to have to go to the cover a few seconds later!!! A prompt that it going somewhere would have been nice.  Remember, even if you just rotate a busy icon and nothing else the user may think you're working faster...  Geez, hire someone competent and do some darn testing (never mind that this thing has crashed already)...

I really like the idea of the Nook and that's why I ordered on day one of the announcement.  You guys are screwing this all up for yourselves B&N.  You're also giving Android a bad reputation for uber slow. Please, someone at B&N reply so that we know you care about the Nook.

Rob

Regarding The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, I also found that in the beginning the page numbers and progress bar were not showing.  I set my text to A...(whatever it is, I'm not going to get the nook now to spell it) Small and on something like page 7 or 8 all of a sudden it appeared.  No clue why, but it's there.

‎"No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anyone but oneself." -Virginia Woolf