Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
peppyauntie121
0 Kudos

Music on nook

Could someone please help me.  I am trying to put songs on my Nook from my computer.  I am copying and pasting from my computer to the Nook's  my music  file.  I tried dragging the songs into it as well.  Out of 15 songs, only three of them loaded onto the Nook.  Is it me or is it my Nook that's having the problem? 

Also, I loaded my own photo for wallpaper and that worked perfectly.  BUT when I loaded a photo into the screensaver file, it did not load.  Why?  I hope someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.  Thank you so much, my fellow Nook Shnooks!

Frequent Contributor
Technowitch
0 Kudos

Re: Music on nook

First, check the music files to see if they're actual *.mp3.  The Nook won't play anything else; the files will still be there, but they won't be recognized.  If they're AAC or FLAC or MP4 or anything non-MP3, they're not supported.

2nd, about wallpapers, looks like you missed the same thing I did on first reading of the User Guide.  Create a subdirectory in the My Wallpapers directory, named whatever you like ("My Dog" or "Vacation Photos") and put the pictures in there.  Then, when you go to Display>Wallpaper, it'll list that directory as one of the named choices, as well as the built-in stuff.  Hope that helps.

peppyauntie121
0 Kudos

I appreciate your reply.  But if you could help me further I have a couple of questions.  I'm a bit confused.  Adding a picture to the my wallpapers folder was fine.  It worked perfectly.  But the my screensavers folder, although it accepted the pictures, did not show up in the nook when i looked in the nook itself at the screensavers.  Now, how would I go about creating a subdirectory (you mean subfolder?) to put in my screensavers folder?  I tried to rt click thinking a "new folder" option would come up, but it doesn't. 

And as for the music, I did have some songs that aren't mp3 and you are right. they do not work.  But I have alot of CDs that I have ripped onto my laptop.  Aren't they mp3?  I cannot believe that I can't put music from a CD onto my Nook.  It went on my mp3 player well enough (it is not an ipod, just an mp3 player). 

Any more advice would be great.  thank you.   

peppyauntie121
0 Kudos

Yippee...I figured it out...I now have a subfolder in my screensavers.  I haven't seen it actually appear on the nook's reader screen yet, but it's in the menu.  Thank you.

But, I still would like to know why the music from a CD can't be put on the Nook?  thanks.....have a good day.

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

Depending on what program you used to rip the CD, the files could be in some other format than mp3.  For example, Windows Media Player can create wma files.  Itunes - aac.  If the files were simply copied direct from the cd, they are probably cda files.  Many programs that can rip a cd are able to create mp3, but you have to check the settings to be sure that's what the program is set up to do.  Make sure any file you want to play on the nook has the mp3 file extension.

New User
bgraham2
0 Kudos

I have synced 2 CDs from my computer to Nook but nothing shows up in audio player.  Any suggestions?

Frequent Contributor
Technowitch
0 Kudos

As mentioned above, those music files must be .MP3 files (and no, you can't take a .wma or .aac or .mp4 file and rename the extension -- it needs to be an actual MP3 file).  On the Nook, if stored in main memory, they need to be in your My Music folder (just there or in subfolders doesn't matter).  If on an added memory card, they can be anywhere on it.

Once on your Nook, try going to "View My Documents" and "Check for New Content".