Inspired Contributor
BartleyR7
0 Kudos

Nook Battery Life and Waking-Up Issues

Hello everyone.  I received my nook in time for Christmas (December 24) and at first was very pleased with it.  I messed around with it for a while, so I wasn't surprised when it needed to be charged after a day.  I had been on the wi-fi connection (do upgrade to software version 1.1.1), to download some books, and just browsing the store.  I also used the touchscreen quite a bit, so I thought this was the cause of the battery drain.

Since that time, I have had two separate occasions where I've had issues with nook.  The first occurred on Sunday, December 27.  I completely charged nook (again) on Christmas Eve after I finished playing with it throughout the day.  I airplane mode on to conserve battery.  On Christmas, I showed it to one family member for about 10 minutes then put it back to sleep.  I didn't turn it back on until Dec. 26th, and I read for about 3 hours (in about 1 hour settings) throughout the day.  When I manually put it back to sleep, it had around 65% battery remaining.  When some family who was staying with us left on the 27th, I attempted to wake nook back up to read.  The power button was unresponsive, and it was stuck on the screensaver.  I plugged it back in for a charge and let it sit for a few hours during which time the orange light was continuously lit.  Again, no response from the power button.  I then followed the tech support instructions that involved removing the battery, connecting it to the PC, then plugging it into the wall outlet, reinstalling the battery, then letting it sit to charge to 100%.  When I reinstalled the battery, I noticed the battery charge icon was down to nothing (no charge).  I thought that was odd, but I chalked it up to the nook battery circuitry needing to be calibrated (since the type of battery in nook does not need to be "conditioned").

It is important to note that, during this entire process, I never turned airplane mode off.

I read for about an hour before bed (after it finally finished charging to 100% and the orange light went out), and when I manually put it to sleep, the battery percentage read 88%.  That seemed like a lot of charge for an hour, but maybe the percentage indicator just isn't that accurate.

I was asleep for around 6.5 hours, and when I awoke this morning, I immediately pushed the power button to wake-up nook and see the battery percentage.  Nothing happened.  I thought that the same battery discharge had occurred, so I first attempted to just recharge it.  This time, no orange charging light came on.  I had to repeat the process of removing the battery, connecting to computer, etc. that I had just done not 18 hours prior in order to get nook to move off the screensaver.  When I did get the battery reinstalled and charging, I visited the "Settings" pane and it is saying the battery is at 65%.  Granted, it's not zero, but it seems like 20% of the battery is a lot to loose overnight.

I've combed through the boards, and I've noticed that several people seem to be having issues with their battery.  Has anyone received a replacement battery and had better luck?  At this rate, I'm concerned about potential battery life.  I don't see any way I can achieve even half of the "10 days" quoted by B&N.

For those of you interested, my other salient nook settings are below.

Device Sleep: 5 minutes

LCD Brightness: 8%

LCD Sleep: 10 seconds

Airplane Mode: On

Software Version: 1.1.1

I very much want to like nook.  In fact, for just reading and downloading books, I couldn't be happier.  However, this situation with the battery life is a major issue for me.  I can't figure out what it's doing to cause a 20% battery drain overnight (especially with wi-fi and 3G off, via airplane mode).

Frequent Contributor
MikeyG
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Battery Life and Waking-Up Issues

I had received my nook on 12/8, went through a similar effort as you, over the course of the past week, in trying to "revive" my nook.  You will notice several posts under my name detailing my efforts.  I like my nook, so I was willing to spend the time with tech support to try to work it out after exhausting all possibilities.  It took two calls, over a few days, with two separate technicians, the second call took an hour and 20 minutes to determine that not even a battery replacement would help me.  They sete up an RMA for my nook and I am now in the process of getting a replacement unit.  I'm not saying that this will be the case with your nook, but I do believe that you will have to spend some time with tech support to determine your outcome,  Good luck.

Live to Read, Read to Live...
Inspired Contributor
BartleyR7
0 Kudos

MikeyG: Thanks for the information.  Did you have to send your defective unit back before they shipped your new one?

I'm waiting for tech support right now to see what the issue is with my unit.

Frequent Contributor
MikeyG
0 Kudos

Sorry BartleyR7, I was out running some errands.  Tech Support gave me an RMA to use when I return the unit after I receive the replacement unit.

Inspired Contributor
BartleyR7
0 Kudos

MikeyG: No problem.  I was actually on hold for tech support for about 1.5 hours before I had to hang-up and run some errands myself.  The nice representative I had spoken to previously told me they were experiencing an extremely long wait time and that it was better to call between 5 and 11 pm EST (which seemed odd to me, but I'll take their word for it).  I'm going to try calling again tonight.  However, as of right now, nook is working just fine.  I charged it (again) to 100% and have been checking on it periodically.  Since around 10 am, the battery is only down to 98%, and I believe this is due to just me checking on it.

It's good to know they they shipped you a new one before you had to ship yours back.  I would be very interested in hearing your comments on your new unit when you have a minute.

Frequent Contributor
MikeyG
0 Kudos

Will do.  I'm just waiting for my confirmation email for the delivery of my nook.  CS said I should be receiving an email confirmation today.

Inspired Contributor
BartleyR7
0 Kudos

Update:  Just spoke to a friendly and helpful tech at B&N support.  They thought that the battery might be the issue, so they are overnighting me a new battery to see if that solves the problem.  He said if that didn't seem to help or alleviate the issues I'm having, that I could just call back and they would then need to do a replacement.

I have to say that I'm very pleased with the B&N customer support thus far.  When I called back (right at 5:00 pm EST tonight), the rep told me they were still experience a lot of calls, but she took my name and number to have someone call me back.  I received the call back from B&N tech support around 20 minutes later.

Frequent Contributor
joeypore
0 Kudos

Hmm....

That's definitely not normal.

I had Airplane Mode turned OFF and left it overnight [about 10 hours or so], and only decreased by 3%.

Inspired Contributor
BartleyR7
0 Kudos

joeypore wrote:

Hmm....

That's definitely not normal.

I had Airplane Mode turned OFF and left it overnight [about 10 hours or so], and only decreased by 3%.

I'm glad that it's not normal (for the rest of you, haha).  I'm hoping that the replacement battery will solve my issues.  I should have it Wednesday, so I can post some updates about how it works.

Joeypore: Did you also have wifi on (and connected), or was it just on and not connected to a network?  I'm trying to replicate the settings of others to eliminate all possible confounding variables.

Inspired Correspondent
nickels
0 Kudos

My wife's nook was fully charged yesterday. 100%. Left it in normal mode, forgot to turn on airplane mode. It was sleeping over night and she used it some today. I just checked and the battery power was 48%. Basically at this rate it would be dead tomorrow. 10 days my ass. So I just put it in airplane mode at 48%, we'll see if it has any power in the morning. I am hoping airplane mode being turned off will result in better numbers because using 50% of the battery power in half a day isn't even close to being good enough.

Frequent Contributor
MikeyG
0 Kudos

Check the user manual. Airplane mode on = 10 days, off = 2 days.
Inspired Correspondent
nickels
0 Kudos

When a fully charged nook shows 48% charged after a day of use  my math shows airplane mode on = 1 day, may be 1.5 days tops.

Inspired Contributor
BartleyR7
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

nickels wrote:

When a fully charged nook shows 48% charged after a day of use  my math shows airplane mode on = 1 day, may be 1.5 days tops.

I'm a little confused by your post.  I think what MikeyG was talking about is that if you start with 100% charge and turn airplane mode on, then it should last for longer than two days.  I may have misread or misunderstood your earlier post, but I thought that you were at a 48% charge after a day of using nook with airplane mode off (meaning 3G and wifi, if you have it connected, are still active).  This would seem to match the instructional manual (about two days with 3G/wifi on).  Please correct me if I've misunderstood something!

MikeyG: I, for the life of me, cannot find the part of the user manual where it quotes battery times!  I've read the thing and I must keep missing it.  Do you happen to have a page number or location?

Contributor
James_Croft
0 Kudos

I'm having similar problems and a battery replacement did nothing for me. I was informed by tech support that a fix for the sleep issue is coming in the next update this Wedneday. Otherwise I have been offered a replacement device.
Inspired Contributor
BartleyR7
0 Kudos

James_Croft wrote:
I'm having similar problems and a battery replacement did nothing for me. I was informed by tech support that a fix for the sleep issue is coming in the next update this Wedneday. Otherwise I have been offered a replacement device.

James_Croft: Interesting, thanks for the info.  I am a little curious as to how a software update would fix this if it's being experienced by some and not others, but I'm hoping that it does the trick.  This is the first I have heard about a forthcoming update.

Frequent Contributor
kylejohnson
0 Kudos

I think it's really hard to measure battery life in days for a device that gets such different usage.  Even if you have everyone set the device to airplane mode, the amount of time you have the LCD panel active and the number of times you turn pages will cause great variations.  I'm off this week and thinking about doing a graph for a couple of days of the number of times I turn a page in a given time period to see what battery life looks like when charted against that.

Inspired Contributor
BartleyR7
0 Kudos

kylejohnson wrote:

I think it's really hard to measure battery life in days for a device that gets such different usage.  Even if you have everyone set the device to airplane mode, the amount of time you have the LCD panel active and the number of times you turn pages will cause great variations.  I'm off this week and thinking about doing a graph for a couple of days of the number of times I turn a page in a given time period to see what battery life looks like when charted against that.

Kylejohnson: Agreed.  I also just thought of another confounding variable - software versions.  I'm wondering if some of us experiencing the battery issues are at v1.1.1 (what I'm currently on) while others not experiencing this issue are still at v1.1.0 (which, according to the admins, cannot be updated to 1.1.1).

For those of you reporting battery issues here, what software version are you running?

New User
bdjems
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Battery Life

Interesting question - I am running 1.1.1 and my battery life is abysmal! I charged my nook to 100% this morning, and with Airplane ON, it is already at 58% at 11pm. So much for lasting up to 10 days...

Inspired Correspondent
nickels
0 Kudos

My wife went to bed with a fully charged nook and didn't read at all. The next moring she read till mid afternoon. I checked the battery power, it was 48% charged at around 5pm. IMO it would have been fully drained by that night at that rate. Even if I add some time I don't see it going two full days. 

Look, I'm no hater nor do I want B&N to fail here. I just want to make sure everything is working right since this cost me more then a few pennies. When I saw how much it drained the battery that fast I was a little unimpressed. I put it in airplane mode now and hope to see a big difference.

For what its worth, all my wife says is how much she loves her nook. I am the pain in the butt making sure it is working right.

Contributor
Legionnaire1211
0 Kudos

Airplane mode on and fully charged. I let me Nook sit and didn't touch it for a full day. After 24 hours of not being turned on, the battery had drained to 83%. There has to be something in the software that is draining the battery. I am using version 1.1.1.

I think that maybe there is a process that is hung causing the unit to use processor power all the time. With airplane mode turned off, my nook barely lasts a day with heavy reading.

My other question is the ratings. Is the rating of 10 days only if you do not use the Nook at all and have airplane mode on? This would seem ridiculous, but I would like to know if the battery rating time is a constant use time or standby time. Kind of like talk time and standby time on a cell phone.

Important Links

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:15 members 333 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: