Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
JNFetter
0 Kudos

Nook File Deletion

[ Edited ]

In working with my new Nook I have down loaded a "free" file I don't particu;ary desire to remain on my Nook. Can I delete a file/book? Thanks in advance - I really like the product. JNFetter

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

Re: Nook File Deletion

Yes, it is possible. I went ahead and copied the section from the user guide that talks about deletion.

Deleting B&N Content from your Online Digital Library

We recommend that you not delete B&N content. Instead, archive it, which removes the content from your nook (and other devices associated with your account) and flags the content as archived in your library.
If you delete content from your online digital library, you cannot get it back, even by calling customer service. By deleting the content, you no longer own it, so the only option is to re-purchase it. Think of it in the same terms as throwing away a book.

There is no way to just delete content from your nook. To free up space on your nook, archive the content, which deletes it from your nook, deletes it from other devices associated with the account, and flags the item as archived in your library.

If you really do want to delete B&N content, you can do so from your account (the one associated with your nook) on the B&N.com website.

When you delete content from your online digital library using the B&N.com website:

• It is deleted permanently from your online digital library.

• It is deleted permanently from your nook and from all other devices associated with the account.

• Even if you have a copy of the content, you cannot put it back in your library (to do that, you have to buy it again). If you did save a copy to your personal computer, you could load it from your personal computer using USB and manage it as a personal file in the my documents folder, which shows up as the My Documents section of your library.

Frequent Contributor
MikFinkel
0 Kudos

Hi, I understand about archiving and how to remove content from the B&N side of the nook. I don't know how to remove material from the micro card. Can you advise me on that? Thanks in advance.

MikFinkel
Frequent Contributor
Technowitch
0 Kudos

To remove stuff from the MicroSD card you need to connect to a computer via USB cable.  Just like when you copied stuff ONTO the card.

Use the file browser (Explorer or whatever) to go to the drive location and delete the files.  Remember to eject both the Nook and the MicroSD drive.  That's it.  Oh, and you *may* need to manually tell your Nook to "look for new" at that location after disconnection, so that it updates its file listing.

New User
Bernie2Shoes
0 Kudos

I do not want to keep newspapers.

How do I delete them.

Bernie Two Shoes

Frequent Contributor
MikFinkel
0 Kudos

Hi Technowitch. I finally got around to trying to figure out how to delete books from my documents again and I found my query from 12-20-09. Had to do a little fiddling around as I am not that techno savvy but your posting did the trick! Much thanks.

MikFinkel