Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
BGog
0 Kudos

Nook: How do you go to a specific page?

I'd like to continue reading a book I was in the middle of on another reader.  I've loaded the book onto my nook but can't figure out how to go to page 245 without hitting the forward button 245 times and waiting for each page to refresh.  The book I'm reading doesn't have a contents so I can't use the "Go To chapter" feature.

Any help would be appreciated, my thumb is getting sore.   Otherwise, LOVE IT!

Contributor
traceyreads
0 Kudos

Re: Nook: How do you go to a specific page?

I have the same question.  Hope we can get an answer.  

Frequent Contributor
Chiclitz
0 Kudos

BGog wrote:

I'd like to continue reading a book I was in the middle of on another reader.  I've loaded the book onto my nook but can't figure out how to go to page 245 without hitting the forward button 245 times and waiting for each page to refresh.  The book I'm reading doesn't have a contents so I can't use the "Go To chapter" feature.

Any help would be appreciated, my thumb is getting sore.   Otherwise, LOVE IT!

Freaky. I just finished reading something that offers an explanation for why you can not "turn" to a specific page on an e-reader. The short answer is that unlike physical pages e-reader pages do not and can not have numbers permanently assigned to them. If they did, then they couldn't "reflow" when someone changed the font style or font size, and they wouldn't be reformattable (as in, display on variously sized screens, change shape on readers that flip between portrait and landscape view, and so on).

Here's the significant bit from the web page I was reading:

The whole idea behind the ePub format is the ability to be flexible enough to flow (in an organized fashion) in any size reader window. From a tiny cell phone/blackberry screen to a large full screen display like a browser or Digital Editions.

Your Headers are a perfect navigational tool for someone reading the physical printed book or a PDF because the flow of each page is permanent. Even when reading as a PDF, you can zoom in on the page to see things more clearly, but that will never change the content on each page.

When that same content is made into an ePub file, it is meant to be read using any number of ePub reader applications, such as Digital Editions (on the computer), Stanza (on iPhone/iPod), Sony eReader, etc. Depending on the user and application, these readers can be set to any custom size that the reader chooses.

I am assuming that you are viewing your ePub files using Digital Editions on your computer (correct me if I am mistaken). Digital Editions can be resized to your preference and also display your content in multiple columns. This ability to change the dimensions of your reader causes the content to re-flow in order to fit. The smaller your reader window, the more pages your content takes up; The larger your window, the fewer pages are taken up.

As for the page numbers that you are seeing in your eBook reader: These are built into the reader application, not your ePub file. Not all eBook readers offer page numbers, but I know that Digital Editions does. These numbers are static and will move and change depending on the physical size of your viewer screen.

Contributor
d_light
0 Kudos

It should be possible to relate the location number (these do not change with font size or orientation) to the physical book page number! Not sure why no e-reader has done this yet.

Contributor
BGog
0 Kudos

Thanks chicklitz.

I do understand that technical issue but at least I could jump to the general area and then find my page.  The sony readers let you go to a specific page number.

I ended up "solving" the problem by turning on my sony prs-505, finding part of a sentence on the page I wanted and searching for that text on the nook.

BTW, once I got to the page, the nook had the same page number as the sony did.

Inspired Correspondent
AdamSelene
0 Kudos

The problem with this theory is that other ebook readers do provide support for page numbers or something similar.  E.g., the Sony gives you page numbers based on the current formatting.  Assuming you don't change the font size, you can go to a specific page if you want.

The Kindle gives you "location numbers" which are not dependent on the formatting, and which are portable across all Kindle reading software on all platforms.  Since they also use the "location number" to find your last read position, they don't have to reformat the entire book to find the page, either.  It does not seem hard to do something similar with ePub and Peanut Press books; B&N just hasn't done it.

Inspired Contributor
LaManchaDQ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Here is what the nook manual says about navigating

Navigating
You can go to these locations in an eBook using the menus:
• Cover
• Table of Contents (if present)
• Chapters
• Pages
• Furthest read page