Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
RCavett42
0 Kudos

Nook Page Numbering System

Hello all,

I've seen this question asked a few times and have been watching for a definitive answer, but haven't seen one, so I'll ask.

Will there be a way for me to reference paper page numbers from the nook page numbering?  As a graduate student, I need to be able to cite page numbers.  If I can do this, you've sold yourself another nook.

Thanks

Inspired Contributor
dc22
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Page Numbering System

Probably not because of text size. 

Distinguished Correspondent
Phil_K

Thanks for the question, RCavett42: As dc22 correctly indicates, nook will not support page numbering because of the option that allows the user to choose between 5 different font sizes -- thus the number of pages will vary significantly depending on the font. Unfortunately, this does appear to preclude the type of citation you need to do -- if I hear of any workarounds for this, I'll definitely post the information.

Frequent Contributor
joeypore
0 Kudos

Will there at least some sort of number system at least? To keep track of where you are so you can use some math to figure out the real page numbers? I'd be ok with that.

As long as there's reference of some kind.

M9
Frequent Contributor
M9
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The Kindle handles this by "location numbers." 

They have to have some way to locate where you are in a book. I am sure this has been well conceived by the Nook designers. I do not know exactly how they are handling it, but they have to be well aware of a way for someone to locate exacty where they were.

Hope an administrator can tell us.  But I am sure it is nothing to worry about.

When you use the Barnes and Noble ereader, It does show the page number by  14 of 37.  If I switch the fonts to much larger fonts it reads 20 of 67  for the same location in the book. It actually works much better than the Kindle in this respect.  The low number of pages is because I was looking at a book sample, rather than a whole book to give this example.

The Kindle location numbers are more like:  3173-3178.  Much more cumbersome and awkward.

I never really thought about his before. But I bet you the Nook will be patterned more after the B&N ereader. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Contributor
WambleJ
0 Kudos

The sony's have a page numbering system.  It is real page numbers.  If you increase the font size, yes the number of pages in a book goes up.  But it is way better than the kindles numbering system which doesn't give you a realistic idea of where you are (aside from the % on the side).  

Distinguished Correspondent
Phil_K

Good point, joeypore: nook does allow you to insert bookmarks in the text, in addition to a "point furthest read" feature that syncs up across various devices, so that you can leave off reading on one device and find your exact place on another.

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Of what use is the page numbering system if the number of pages increases with the increase in font size? The only page numbering system I find useful is the one that corresponds to the actual book that was digitized. Of course such a system has not yet been adopted - I assume due to software limitations - and so we'll just have to make do with Location (as used by the kindle) or whatever Barnes & Noble gives us in the nook. I've gotten used to Locations on the kindle and am looking forward to becoming a nook user. 
Since my face to face book club makes it necessary for me to give real page numbers as reference, I try to pay attention to the relationship of Location within a chapter and ask one of my fellow book club members to help me find the spot in her/his real copy. 
Of course it will be great to belong to the first Barnes & Noble book group that will explore an ebook. I'm sitting in line. Waiting. Hey, B&N admins, wouldn't it be nice to have a book selected by Nov 30, announcing it at the release of the nook for a January book discussion????

WambleJ wrote:

The sony's have a page numbering system.  It is real page numbers.  If you increase the font size, yes the number of pages in a book goes up.  But it is way better than the kindles numbering system which doesn't give you a realistic idea of where you are (aside from the % on the side).  

Frequent Contributor
KevinCK

A lot of folks say that page numbers are irrelevant with ebooks and their resizable text. I disagree. One of the benefits of epub files and pdfs for ebooks are precisely that they do have fixed page numbers. And one advantage of sony for those who want fixed page numbers is that as of the new year, all their books will be in epub format.

To me - also an academic - fixed page numbers that correspond with the actual book page (print edition) is a key to allowing ebook readers and print readers to communicate about the same book, which in turn is key to ebooks becoming more common with readers. And if ebook markets ever want to get in the academic world (a huge market as we consume books like our students consume drugs and hot dogs) we will need to have a fixed page number system so that students with a variety of devices (or the print edition) can be...on the same...page.

Some say it is a pain for an ereader to have fixed numbers. Not really. The sony reader, when using epub files, sows the page number on the far right of the book margin. If page 7 starts halfway down a page, then the "7" appears where the new page starts. It doesn not intrude with the text. The only strange thing is taht instead of the bottom saying "7 of 100" it says "6-7 of 100." But that isn't intrusive or discombobulating either.

If you are an academic or student who wants fixed page numbers, go with sony (though I can't guarantee that the epub page numbers are always going to allign wit the print edition, just like the 1st and 2nd print editions may have slightly different page numbers).

New User
sicesp
0 Kudos

I think at least there should be a "full page" view, in which the reader can switch to whatever font size results in a single full page per screen.  Then when you get to a point you'd like to "cite" you can get the corresponding page no.  Of course, best would be keep corresponding page no regardless of the font size.

Frequent Contributor
joeypore
0 Kudos

Great... not what I was getting at though...

I meant, is there some way to reference your current location in the form of numbes.

Bookmarking and such is all fine and dandy for reading, but I need to know for citations, not for just casual reading.

Inspired Scribe
Josh_W
0 Kudos

Hey there joeypore, I hope I can help clarify the issue for you.  nook will have it's own page numbers.  It just won't match up exactly with the printed version of the same book. 

New User
ShinyCuttleFish
0 Kudos

I've got a nook on preorder, and so I've been playing with the ebook reader on my PC and my laptop.  I've noticed that the page numbers in the ebook reader don't match up between the two machines, and it doesn't seem like I'm able to set a bookmark on one machine and have it show up on the other so I can continue reading where I left off.  I haven't even tried adding it to my iPhone yet.

Once I get my Nook, this problem will magically go away?  Color me skeptical, but I'd love to understand how this will be solved once I have my Nook.

Contributor
JJPfafftown
0 Kudos

I agree with KevinCK - but from a non-academic perspective as well. I don't plan to give up reading paper bound books and I, like others in this thread, plan to use our Nook with others who are reading paper bound books. It is exciting waiting for the Nook to arrive and by no means am I complaining about the absence of referencing the paper-bound page number (which brings to mind, would you reference the hard back or paper back page number?). But it would be a huge step forward to make the Nook inclusive rather than exclusive of the paper bound experience.

Frequent Contributor
pidgeon92
0 Kudos

Now I am curious.... It's been a while since I wrote an papers...

Do different versions of same book always have consistent page numbers? Or do you have to reference the publisher and date of the book?

and

Should academia embrace the new technology and allow location numbers from e-books as well as page numbers from paper books?