Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Wakenda
0 Kudos

Nook and Kindle

If I have a Kindle and want to get the Nook, will I be able to transfer my books from my Kindle to my Nook?

New User
lock-n-key
0 Kudos

Re: Nook and Kindle

you don't like your Kindle?

New User
Wakenda
0 Kudos

Oh yes...I love my Kindle a lot.  I  just like the idea of having the color screen with the book covers.  Stupid I know...just a preference. 

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Wakenda wrote:

If I have a Kindle and want to get the Nook, will I be able to transfer my books from my Kindle to my Nook?

Sorry, nook does not support Kindle files.

nook will support PDB, PDF and EPUB files (including those file types from Fictionwise and ereader.com).

There's more on this in the nook FAQs and the nook Tech Specs.

New User
NY3Ranger
0 Kudos

You guys should really look at a converter that converts kindle book format to the nook format.

New User
BrentNewhall
0 Kudos

NY3Ranger wrote, "You guys should really look at a converter that converts kindle book format to the nook format."

Something tells me that Amazon might have a wee problem with that. ;-)

New User
soccermom1us
0 Kudos

So, what do I do with the 185 books I have on my Kindle. it's a real deal breaker for me if I can't port my books.

I love my Kindle2, but I would seriously consider switching because I like the features and apparent ease of use of the Nook.

Frequent Contributor
CWilliam09
0 Kudos

soccermom1us,

You really can't expect B&N or Amazon to have their eReaders be compatible. They're trying to compete in this new market, and compatibility would mean that one could buy content from either store. This, obviously, would make most aspects of this market pointless for both B&N and Amazon.

I would suggest keeping your Kindle 2 for the books you have on it and, if you're serious about picking up a new eReader, grab the nook and use it from then on out. It's a little inconvenient, yes, but it's the unfortunate downside of such a new market.

-CWilliam09
Frequent Contributor
Xyxox
0 Kudos

It's a Betamax vs. VHS thing (for you youngsters, that was the war between competing video tape player/recorder formats) or the Blu-Ray vs. HD format war.

Personally, I'm just trying to keep from buying into the Betamax format, whichever one that turns out to be. Back in the day, Betamax was the better format from a technological standpoint, but VHS beat it out in pricing and number of titles.

In the Blu-Ray vs. HD war, Blu-Ray was the better format and it ended up winning.

Here, Nook is the better technological platform, but there are issues that could put the Kindle format in the winning slot. Only time will tell.

Contributor
Nenarek
0 Kudos

You really can't expect B&N or Amazon to have their eReaders be compatible. They're trying to compete in this new market, and compatibility would mean that one could buy content from either store. This, obviously, would make most aspects of this market pointless for both B&N and Amazon.

This is why it is important to get a reading device that supports ePub, like the nook.  Several places will be selling eBooks compatible with ePub and with the joint announcement that B&N and Adobe made it looks like DRM methods are going to become standardized to allow compatibility between stores and devices.

Amazon is the only major company that doesn't seem to be on board with the move toward ePub.  They probably think that with their market share they don't have to support it, but we are still in early days of eBook adoption and early leaders can be passed up pretty quickly.  If B&N can sell one million devices they would be the new leader.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Xyxox makes an all too scary point.

B&N--please take the comments on this board to heart.

It might not seem like it from all the negative feedback (valuable as it is) but this is a product many of us have great hopes for.

Pressing issues--content pricing chief among them--must be addressed, and soon.

I don't want nook to be the reader version of the Betamax. Neither do you. I think we're up to the challenge.

I will certainly be championing the nook (while being upfront about my concerns) to do my part to make others aware of the product.

Frequent Contributor
CWilliam09
0 Kudos

I'm agreeing with RHWright 100%.

I totally forgot about ereaders until I heard the nook announcement. I was completely on board to get the nook until I looked into the details a little closer. I would love to get the nook, but some of the problems are just too big to ignore. Unfortunately, many of the concerns are being ignored. The admins here are doing a great job with answering questions, but there's been absolutely no comment on the biggest issue brought up yet: content pricing.

I'm also concerned about B&N content-only features, such as bookmarking. I'd like to bookmark any eBook or .pdf on my nook, and I think it's a huge inconvenience that it's B&N content-only. 

-CWilliam09
Contributor
Nenarek
0 Kudos

I totally forgot about ereaders until I heard the nook announcement. I was completely on board to get the nook until I looked into the details a little closer. I would love to get the nook, but some of the problems are just too big to ignore. Unfortunately, many of the concerns are being ignored. The admins here are doing a great job with answering questions, but there's been absolutely no comment on the biggest issue brought up yet: content pricing.

I think that many of these issues might be addressed by the time the nook launches.  The nook store could be quite different from what we see on the eBook store right now.  Isn't the nook store supposed to be in ePub format, for example?

Frequent Contributor
Xyxox
0 Kudos

@CWilliam09 I doubt if the admins here are empowered to say anything at all about pricing and have to have something official from upper management before they are even able to comment on it. I'm sure they're passing those concerns along.

For my part, if they address pricing and the gift certificate issue prior to launch, I will definitely be a Nook buyer. I like the technology much better than anything I've seen elsewhere but don't want to feel like a fool because I'm always paying something between 20% and 150% of what the same material would ahve costed me with the Kindle. I would also like to be able to tell freinds and family "a Barnes and Noble gift certificate is always the perfect gift for me" so I can expand my eBook library.

Those two issues are the only reasons I have not pre-ordered a Nook and may be the only reason I decide to bet on the lesser technology instead of the better technology when it comes to an eReader.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Re: Bookmarking only B&N purchased content

Not sure why this should be the case across the board. My eReader Pro software, which I believe is the precursor in many ways to the B&N eReader app and now the nook, allows me to bookmark anything.

I could see it having problems dealing with some formats (epub, pdf) but for my existing compatible files from eReader? Seems very odd.

Any answers from the tech savvy?

Frequent Contributor
CWilliam09
0 Kudos

RHWright wrote:

Not sure why this should be the case across the board. My eReader Pro software, which I believe is the precursor in many ways to the B&N eReader app and now the nook, allows me to bookmark anything.

I could see it having problems dealing with some formats (epub, pdf) but for my existing compatible files from eReader? Seems very odd.

Any answers from the tech savvy?

I've seen admins in other threads state that only B&N content has full functionality (highlighting, bookmarking, annotating, et cetera). I'll try and locate a thread and link it here momentarily. :smileyhappy:

-CWilliam09
Frequent Contributor
JimM
0 Kudos

I think what hasn't been clear is which of the following is true:

1. ONLY B&N ebooks support annotations, highlighting, bookmarking, etc.

or

2. ONLY B&N ebooks support SYNCING annotations, highlighting, bookmarking, etc.

In other words, am I prevented from bookmarking my own ebooks, or am I just prevented from having that bookmark available when I switch from my nook to my PC, and vice versa?

The latter is less of an issue -- I don't expect to switch between devices very often.  But if I'm completely unable to bookmark an ebook that I've side-loaded, that's something I'll need to consider.  But my gut feeling is that we'll only be prevented from syncing those items.

Frequent Contributor
CWilliam09
0 Kudos

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/eBooks-Help-Board/Nook-Note-Taking/m-p/402491#M1003

There is one of the threads where Kevin said that only B&N content can be annotated. If I recall correctly, there is another thread where he (or perhaps it was another staff member) said that other features such as highlighting and bookmarking are also only available with B&N content. I'm attempting to locate this one now. :smileyhappy:

-CWilliam09
New User
Aglaia761
0 Kudos

I use a free converter called Calibre to convert most of my files to the Epub format that my Sony uses.  I think it also converts amazon files as well.  I recommend checking out the website to be sure.

Frequent Contributor
DemonicDuck
0 Kudos

Calibre doesn't convert amazons files(azw files)