Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
gjrice
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nook can read epub format, but what about the reader software?

I have downloaded several epub books in preparation for the nook, but I can't get them to open in the B&N software on my PC. I can open them on Adobe Digital Editions and the Sony ereader software. These are DRM free books I got from gutenberg.org and ereader.com.  Am I missing something? If the B&N software doesn't support epud how could I use the lending feature with someone who only has a PC?

Distinguished Correspondent
Phil_K
0 Kudos

Re: Nook can read epub format, but what about the reader software?

Hi jgrice: the ePub format will be fully compatible with nook. To get the files to open on your PC, try deleting the eReader application and then re-installing it; this has reportedly worked for other customers.

Contributor
AquitaineSC
0 Kudos

Hi........I was wondering about this too.......I couldn't get .ePub to open in the B & N eReader, so I emailed customer support at Barnes & Noble.......THEY said that the B & N computer eReader at present ONLY supports their .PDB format, but that the Nook will fully support the ePub.  Hope that helps clarify things a bit.  But I'm not deleting Adobe Digital Editions until I have Nook in hand and everything runs just right!!!!

Inspired Contributor
gjrice
0 Kudos

Thanks! I had tried deleting the software and reinstalling it, but that didn't work and now I know why.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Has anyone actually tried this yet?  I have a couple of Sony ebooks and they will not open on the BN desktop reader so I'm wondering if they are going to word in the nook.

Contributor
TripUponTheGreen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

In anticipation of getting my nook, I've been ordering ebooks from Fictionwise (both secured eReader and unsecured ePUB formats). I've opened both formats successfully on the B&N eReader for PC. I don't know about other sites, but I've had no trouble with opening ePUB's from Fictionwise (which is part of the B&N family now).

Are your Sony eReader books secured (DRM)? If not, use the free Calibre program to convert the format to PDB or ePUB and it will should then work fine on the B&N eReader software.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

TripUponTheGreen wrote:

In anticipation of getting my nook, I've been ordering ebooks from Fictionwise (both secured eReader and unsecured ePUB formats). I've opened both formats successfully on the B&N eReader for PC. I don't know about other sites, but I've had no trouble with opening ePUB's from Fictionwise (which is part of the B&N family now).

Are your Sony eReader books secured (DRM)? If not, use the free Calibre program to convert the format to PDB or ePUB and it will should then work fine on the B&N eReader software.

Yeah, Fictionwise works with no problems at all, it's just the Sony...  They are secured, if they weren't it wouldn't be a problem.  They are in an ePub format and open on everything BUT the BN reader.