Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Leeza14
0 Kudos

Nook has a virus??

Today has not been a good day.  I bought another book for my nook, but my nook won't connect to my wireless network at home (which is working just fine).  Then, when I went to make sure my Wi Fi was on (on the nook), the "Wi Fi hotspot" tab, it shows a couple hotspots (which I don't recognize) and one is "I_AM_VIRUS" -- how great. 

Now it's gone again, but every time I look at that tab, a different group of Wi FI hotspots are listed. 

My nook was great until today.  What's up with this, though?  I have read the B and N customer service horror stories, and I don't have hours to wait on the phone with them.

Any ideas?

Inspired Contributor
skatekarate
0 Kudos

Re: Nook has a virus??

there is no virus.

somebody just named their network that to mess with people

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Someone named their network that so no one else would use it.

Frequent Contributor
Leeza14
0 Kudos

Well, it worked!  :-)

Any idea why the nook won't connect and download books?

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

Is the hotspot encrypted? You'll see an icon next to it that looks like a padlock (in most cases). If it's encrypted, you won't be able to connect unless you have the encryption key.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
deemure
0 Kudos

I am assuming your network is listed on your nook since you said you bought a book for it.  Did you buy the book online at B&M through your nook?  And using wifi (or 3G), and was your wifi working then?

Have you tried moving to a different room?  If you have previously been able to connect to your home wifi, you might try this.  You probably have, but I mention this because I have one laptop that will not no way no how connec to my home wifi even though it shows signal strength is excellent when in the same room with the router. If it does connect it is on then off.  My nook connects ok, but you might have the reverse problem where your laptop works, but the nook doesn't.

With my laptop, I go into a back bedroom and never have trouble connecting.  Go figure.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
Leeza14
0 Kudos

The nook had been working fine with our home's wireless network until today.  It was connecting.  Now, all of a sudden, things are different.  I don't see a padlock anywhere. 

Frequent Contributor
Leeza14
0 Kudos

Good suggestion.  I'll try moving to another room.  I'm in the bedroom, which is where it's always worked before, but I'm happy to try something new.  Thanks to everyone for these suggestions and help.  ;-)

deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The other thing is make sure in your B&N account to have a default credit card on file, with the correct address attached.  Some people have reported connection problems due to this.

Disregard this, since you said it worked ok before.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
Leeza14
0 Kudos

OK, I re-entered our wireless network info, and I could connect. However, my new book still will not download, nor can I get an update on the Daily page.  I'll keep messing with it, I guess. 

deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Leeza14 wrote:

OK, I re-entered our wireless network info, and I could connect. However, my new book still will not download, nor can I get an update on the Daily page.  I'll keep messing with it, I guess. 

Have you been able to read and download books before? I'm assuming yes, but need to know.  I just wondered too whether you have been buying books from the nook connecting wirelessly to B&N online.  Again I am assuming yes, but need to know if it's the downloading portion that isn't working.

One thing you may want to do just for grins is to check and make sure your online account has all the pertinent info, default credit card, with good exp date, address info is listed and all.

You might also want to shut off your nook and then restart it, if you have not already.

You might also want to try downloading the book to your computer from your online account.  You can then try sideloading it to your nook.

Other suggestions might be to unregister or deregister your nook and then reregister it.

deemure
0 Kudos

Ok someone just posted something that's kind of similar to what happened to you.

You might look at this link

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/eBooks-Help-Board/Error-Message-B-amp-N-Content-Error/m-p/451...