Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Dakotamouse
0 Kudos

Nook locking up

Has anyone had this problem?  I noticed my Nook was not in the sleep mode.  I had it plugged in and sleeping when I set it down.  Went back later noticed that it was awake and the bottom color screen was on. But none of the touch screen buttons was responsive.  I had to turn it off and restart it to get it going and even then it seemed a bit weird.  Seems fine now but......?

Inspired Contributor
blueyedirishgrl
0 Kudos

Re: Nook locking up

Mine locked up the other day, but under different circumstances.  Was trying to open a book to read & it just completely locked up.

Contributor
WillyC
0 Kudos

Yep - I've seen the same thing.  I have to hold the power button down for a bit and then it seems to go back to normal.

Obviously some S/W issues to resolve - but hey this is a first release.  hopefully the developers are working hard to fix some of these annoyances.

New User
nooker
0 Kudos

My nook locked up and I can't seem to reboot it.  I have been on hold with BN now for 20 MIN!!!!!  any suggestions?

Reader 2
spnky-chknKT
0 Kudos

I am having a total lock out problem too. I plugged my Nook in to charge last night, and today it wont turn on or off to reset it. I even tried plugging it into computer to see if it would do anything and computer doesn't even register it when I plug it into USB port. Before this turning it off and on fixed any problem I had! Can't find a reset button and didn't see any trouble shooting in the owners manual. If you get through to customer support and they are of any help at all please post how to fix this!

Frequent Contributor
ElAleph

[ Edited ]

Try the following steps:

• Try holding down the power button until the nook reboots.

If that doesn't work.

• Remove the battery for a few minutes. Replace battery and start up your nook again.

Reader 2
spnky-chknKT
0 Kudos

EIAleph: Thanks for the tip. I was reading about how to take the back cover off and holding the power button down the whole time...The darn thing reboot after holding button down for about 2 minutes! Weird but I like easy fixes! I wouldn't have thought of taking the battery out though so thanks, I will keep that in mind for the next time. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
MrNook
0 Kudos

According to the published User Guide (at least in the PDF) the nook will turn on when plugged in for a charge perhaps it will wake up from sleep as well and start to charge even though it says that it can charge while it's asleep.

My guess is perhaps you have received a firmware/software update while it was charging.  The BN personnel I spoke to stores this past week said that some of the "in store" features of the nook were to be enabled this week, maybe this is it?

Unfortunately I don't have my nook yet, but I've started to spend some quality time reading through this forum and reading the User Guide in preparation.

If you did receive an OTA (over the air) update then this could explain why it was on, or it simply comes on while starting a charge.  The User Guide also states that a fully discharged nook will turn on after 15 minutes, but will have little charge in the battery.

Contributor
Dakotamouse
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for all the feedback.  Lately my little Nook has been behaving fine.  I just worry that there might be something seriously wrong that won't fully manifest itself till after the warranty runs out.

New User
macabre_dragon
0 Kudos

Went to bed and left it recharging, get up and it's locked up. I panicked! But upon checking messageboard found the fix. Held power button for couple minutes and it rebooted. Thanx for the fix.

Hopefully its only a software glitch and will be soon fixed.

New User
Nanpa
0 Kudos

I had the same problem several times already. It seems some google books locks up the reader. Nothing worked for me until I took out the battery and restarted the nook. This is the only thing that seems to work for me. They really need to fix this annoying problem.

Contributor
Andi_NJ
0 Kudos

My Nook locked up (for the first time) less than five minutes after the first time I started using it (2/1/10), and I took the battery out, put it back in and no problem for a couple of days.  Then, every single time I used it, it froze.  Sometimes holding down the top button would work, sometimes removing the battery would work, sometimes removing the battery & charging would work, but within a half hour (or sometimes only seconds) of doing any of these, my Nook would freeze up again. 

So, this morning I called tech support.  After only being on hold about a minute and a half, I was speaking with a tech who had me remove the battery & pug it in to a wall outlet (which upon starting up again, immediately froze).  After I explained everything, she said I would be getting another Nook.  I opted for the immediated ship (it will go out within the next 48 hrs & then I ship this one back), and hopefully that one will be problem free.

Inspired Contributor
Evrosado
0 Kudos

The freezing may be the battery not having really good contact, it may be a tiny bit small. My Nook was freezing everyday (2 or 3 times).  It has NOT frozen since I did the following( which was posted by another member):

"I popped the back cover off, took out the battery pack, and added two thin strips of business card material to the upper right side of the battery recess (nook oriented with its upper edge farthest away from you).  Orient the paper strips vertically, between the battery pack and the recess.  This serves to help push the battery down onto its connections better, which are located at the lower right of the battery (you'll see them where the circular symbols are on the battery pack).  Since I did this modification, my nook has been working great and I've had no more lockups.  If you're experiencing lockups with yours, you might want to give this simple fix a try. "

Evelyn