Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Sandy_Howell
0 Kudos

Re: Nook will NOT download

I agree with those who mentioned it is probably just everyone trying to download at once has bogged down their server.  Yesterday I downloaded with no problem, as did my daughter.  Today I'm unable to download.  And when I tried using the e-reader on the PC to download I got a message that the server had timed out.--another indication that it's just the website.  I'm guessing they'll get it up and running tomorrow, so I'll be patient.

Contributor
sophiaCP
0 Kudos

I received this as a Christmas gift also and have been trying all day to download a book. Hope it's just an overload at BN issue!!

Reader 4
pookafert
0 Kudos

Maybe they should have used the server that just sent me an e-mail touting downloading new releases in under a minute.  It even lists a book that the server let the charge to my gift card work but not download.  Nice.  I love irony...

New User
cway
0 Kudos

I was able to download a book last night very quickly. Nothing today. i just think it is overloaded today.

New User
surrealtraversity
0 Kudos

I was able to download several books this morning, but that was at about 5 AM and I seriously doubt many people were using the site at the time. Now the site is probably being flooded, and it doesn't surprise me at all that people are having troubles.

Frequent Contributor
Nakiami
0 Kudos

I'd just like to point out that it's not like your nook will NEVER download content... I've had mine for a week and have not had any problems. It's most likely a server issue and will be solved soon. Don't go into panic mode and return your nook... take deep breaths and relax! lol

New User
Stavey
0 Kudos

This has been a huge issue all day, from what I can tell.  How frustrating it is when you live in a house with someone who got a Kindle and was able to download books and read all day.  I'm sure that this is just an overload issue with BNs server, but they should have been more prepared.  There is absolutely no excuse since they knew that this item was in high demand.  I have been trying to download 1 book since about 8 am and I still have had no luck.  I have tried the "quick fix" but since I'm a MAC user, it doesn't seem to work. Shame on BN for having no customer service members able to reply saying what the issue really is.  I'm sure their phone lines will be ringing off the hook tomorrow.

Contributor
sophiaCP
0 Kudos

You know, looking at  the "bars" on the top, only one, sometimes 2 show up, as though connectivity is limited, but I'm right next to my computer, which is connected to the wireless network, no problems. Is there a way to boost the wireless reception or whatever it is that causes fewer bars?.

Wordsmith
Critteranne
0 Kudos

Mine was very slow at first, but I think that's because it was downloading latest software update -- and charging. Once that was done, it downloaded my queued e-books (ebooks?). It did take a while for the software update to download. Maybe I was the one causing the slowdown. :smileysurprised:

I bought e-books later at night and downloaded them pretty quickly. I don't know how it works now because I'm in Airplane mode to save battery power. That's appropriate anyway because one of the books I'm reading is Highest Duty by Captain Chesley B. Sullenberger (Sully). :smileywink:

New User
surrealtraversity
0 Kudos

I'm seriously getting irritated with people saying they're going to take the nook back and get a kindle. Has the world lost all sense of patience!? I had no problems with my nook downloading.... until it came time for the rest of the "normal" people to wake up and get on the computer, and that's when it stopped downloading.

Here's a thought... How about people get some patience when technology doesn't instantly work? I'm willing to bet the problem is simply a result of everyone trying to get something from BN at once and the servers are having a freakout moment because they're not used to so much attention. Same thing happened with the iPhone. Is it really so hard to believe it could happen with the nook?

Contributor
Molly1218
0 Kudos

At first, mine said "Queued: ....." 

That message lasted from 3 PM to 6 PM, and I was getting frustrated, so I canceled it and hit download again. Now, it has said "Please Wait.." for the past 3 hours.

I really hope that this is just a Christmas thing.

I was very excited and impressed with the description of the Nook, but now, I'm beginning to feel a little disappointed.  I've had it for less than one day and can't even read anything but the pre-installed classics.

Inspired Contributor
Holly_Snowe
0 Kudos

The sideload trick DOES work for Mac!! I have one and I did it!

1.) download the ebook/enewspaper onto your Mac. Let your browser sit and 'think' about it until it times out, then try it again. I use Safari and it takes about five minutes a pop, and it worked on the third try several minutes after I clicked the 'download' button in my elibrary. Be persistent! 

2.) try to open the epub file you just downloaded in your ereader. You'll probably have to unlock it. Use your name (as it appears at the top of your 'My B&N' page) and the credit card number that's registered to your account. After you do this your ereader will probably crash. That's okay, you don't need it anymore. 

3.) plug your Nook into your Mac with the USB cable. Open it in a Finder window and open up the 'My Documents' folder. 

4.) open a new Finder window, find your epub file in the 'downloads' file and drag and drop it into the 'My Documents' folder on the Nook. Eject your Nook (drag the icon on your desktop to the trash can) and unplug the USB cable. 

5.) go into your Library on the Nook. In the touch screen at the bottom you will see a line that says 'My Documents', open this and scroll down to the ebook (or enewspaper or pdf file...it works for all of these formats) and open it. Read and enjoy!

New User
JakeFortune
0 Kudos

When you have a product that is billed as the "Hottest gift of the Season" and you don't make the logical leap of reason that there will be high demand on your servers when all of these gifts get delivered ... well, you are just shortsighted.  This is inexcusable.  

If I'd purchased a paper book, I'd be reading it right now, not waiting for another error message.

New User
gcyr
0 Kudos

My Daughter got a Kindle and I got a Nook - Nook = No Book!!

New User
gcyr
0 Kudos

technology is what the nook is supposed to be about - how about a little forethought to be sure what you are selling actually works - my daughter got a kindle and is doewnloading books in secondse - I have a nook and can't download a book - did Amazon just get lucky??? or do they actually know WTF they are doing!!

Correspondent
PhotoGuyDL
0 Kudos

gcyr wrote:

technology is what the nook is supposed to be about - how about a little forethought to be sure what you are selling actually works - my daughter got a kindle and is doewnloading books in secondse - I have a nook and can't download a book - did Amazon just get lucky??? or do they actually know WTF they are doing!!

gcyr: - You are being disingenuious to the BN employees.  Amazon experienced some of these problems when they first launched their Kindle products.  By the time Christmas 2009 rolled in, Amazon had an established customer base that was not trying to purchase their first ebook on christmas day.  BN on the other hand had 100,000s of new nooks being registered and customers purchasing ebooks all on the same Christmas day.  All of these people registering their nooks and purchasing ebooks is not dissimilar from a Denial of Service attack that hackers use to shutdown parts of the cyber world.

Today is Christmas and even BN employees deserve to observe the holiday. BN has a very good reputation and this problem will be fixed within 24-48 hours.  There are far worse things that can occur on Christmas day.  My middle son's classmate found her mom dead this morning.  I think that family would trade problems with you in a heart beat.

So, let's celebrate Christmas, give the BN people time to fix the problem and offer prayers to my son's classmate for their terrible holiday loss.

Frequent Contributor
Astoria
0 Kudos

I just downloaded a book today in minutes.

Frequent Contributor
ElaineMomNC1
0 Kudos

I had problems yesterday which are solved today.  Gone with the Wind downloaded ok, then I checked Rogue by Sarah Palin which I pre-ordered, it took about 10 to 15 seconds.  Then I downloaded an ebook from the B&N website and that didn't take but about 30 seconds.

So this glitch is overcome!  I know it happened when the iPhone and the Kindle first came out.  Now I have to let up buying ebooks and start reading them!

My next step is accessories and more storage!

New User
contempt
0 Kudos

This was such a frustrating Christmas experience.  I was all excited and my wife thought I'd be reading a book on Christmas night, but not to be.  This piece of crap service wouldn't download a single book that I purchased.  Yes, B+N, I bought your books but couldn't read them nor get them on my nook.  What a horrible experience and I just hope B+N helps us for half-ruining our holidays.  What's more, they need to change their messaging on their customer support and any support pages for nook which states "download and enjoy reading a book immediately..." 

Frequent Contributor
IrishEyes531
0 Kudos

I was also one of the people whose order was delayed. It was supposed to ship on 12/18 and arrive on 12/21. It didn't ship until 12/22, was then supposed to arrive on 12/23 via a free upgrade to overnight shipping. There was an error in the routing with UPS and my nook finally arrived at about 11 a.m. Pacific to my doorstep on 12/24, just in the nick of time, although I had already prepared myself not to have it on Christmas, and figured it wasn't the end of the world. Despite my excitement that it arrived in time, I wrapped the shipping box and put it under the tree to open on Christmas.

Like those who posted here yesterday, I was unable to download a single book yesterday. It was frustrating, but I was willing to be patient, because I really love the Nook's features. My patience paid off. I was rewarded by waking up this morning to several of my samples (and the book I paid for) already waiting for me on my nook. The rest that were waiting downloaded in seconds. I bought a subscription to Reason (a periodical) and it was ready to read in less than a minute (not sure how long it actually took, I got distracted making a cup of coffee).

I absolutely love my Nook. Yes, one day was frustrating, but it wasn't the end of the world.