Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
midnightsolace
0 Kudos

Nook won't turn pages

In the tutorial it says when the touch screen dims you can slide your finger to turn pages instead of using the buttons. It has worked maybe one time in the million times i tried. Is this working for anyone, or is it just me?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Nook won't turn pages

Yes, works for me.

I use a thumb swipe as was suggested by someone in another thread.  Right thumb, top to bottom on right side of touch pad.  I am using software version 1.1.0.

New User
midnightsolace
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I thought I had it. When I swipe left to right, it turns pages backwards.. It does nothing when I go top to bottom...

Frequent Contributor
AnacondaCamp
0 Kudos

I gave myself a "serious" practice session by reading the whole entire nook manual--but the catch was to turn the pages by swipe only. I learned two things. 1) it's good to read the manual and 2) it really is more intuitive than "pushing a button."

Try the following:

1) Have your finger in motion of the swipe before touching the screen (this works almost 100% of the time).

2) It doesn't have to be the enitre section of the LCD, even 3/4" will work.

3) You aren't tapping a button, just use a light feather touch as you do your swipe.

4) I've gotten so good at it now, that I'm using my thumb and just swiping the lower right corner. (see below)

[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/334p3wk.jpg[/IMG]

If you keep practicing and finding your "free flow" way of doing it, you will never want to touch the side buttons again. This I absolutely promise and I don't even own an iPhone or iTouch.

Contributor
Celtics1
0 Kudos

I've had problems as well.  Went to a local BN store today and luckily there is someone there who actually owns a nook and she told me to start in the middle of the touch screen (under the n) and make a quick light swipe to the left all the way to the edge.  Doesn't work all the time but more than it did before.  Certainly not how the directions in the manual explained it......definitely needs more work from BN.

Frequent Contributor
cummings66
0 Kudos

I read Under the Dome by Steven King, if you've seen the book you realize it's a monster of a book.  In that book I used the swipe to turn the pages and in that time I had maybe 3 or 4 swipes that didn't register.

The trick I found for me is to start on the right side plastic and swipe to the left.  As long as you get a 1/2" or so swiped it will turn.  If you try to start on the LCD itself you'll find your percentage dropping a lot, and if you don't swipe fast it'll drop a lot.  You've got to move quickly when you swipe, don't be lazy.  As far as I can tell you can't hardly go too fast, but you can definitely go too slow.

Reader 4
MissAnarchy
0 Kudos

Thanks AnacondaCamp.  I just got my nook and was having problems turning the pages, but your info helped and I got it down now.