Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
JustMelissa
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Number of pages: ebook v print

I'm perplexed by the number of pages (or screens) in my ebooks compared to the print counterpart. For example, each screen seems to have many fewer pages than a printed book. However, the overall page/screen count is much lower than the printed book. The new Stephen King book - Under the Dome - has 1088 pages in the printed version. My ebook version displayed with the Helvetica font has only 833 "pages." It's not that the content is more compressed - e.g., less white space at the end of each chapter - because the ebooks I've downloaded so far start each chapter on a new screen. How is this possible?? Has anyone compared the physical book with the e version and noticed how this works?

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

Re: Number of pages: ebook v print

This is due to the font and it's size.  The pages will be different for each size/font.

Contributor
JustMelissa
0 Kudos

Yes, I know the page numbers the font face/size changes the length. However, even though the size of the font is larger on my screen than on the printed page, and even though there are fewer words on each nook screen, the overall page count is less on the ebook than in the printed book.

I probably just need to go to B&N and compare the two version side by side to get my answer!

Frequent Contributor
cmassa
0 Kudos

epub files do not repaginate with different fonts/sizes. you should notice that not every screen change advances the page number. 

Contributor
JustMelissa
0 Kudos

cmassa: Thanks! I hadn't noticed that 1 screen is not equal to 1 page. So regardless of the font, my ebook version is 823 pages long. Still doesn't explain why the ebook is fewer pages than the print books - but I can accept that it just is and that I don't have to know why :smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
cmassa
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JustMelissa wrote:

cmassa: Thanks! I hadn't noticed that 1 screen is not equal to 1 page. So regardless of the font, my ebook version is 823 pages long. Still doesn't explain why the ebook is fewer pages than the print books - but I can accept that it just is and that I don't have to know why :smileywink:

I took a quick look at various editions of the book you are talking about and i found the 1088 page version you have, but also another one that was 800 and something pages...maybe that particular edition was printed in a different font or with smaller margins or whatever it may be, but the answer to the 2nd part of your question is just that the pagination of the epub is based on a different printed edition than the one you own.