New User
ReeseKY
0 Kudos

PDF will not open on nook

I am able to load PDF files from computer and see in my documents on nook, but when try to open, receive message 'Sorry, unable to open book'.  My PDF files download to my computer in PDF Converter Professional.  The downloaded file type in 'save as' , the extension is pdf. I really do not want to take coverter off computer. Can I 'unconvert file'? Any suggestions? Thank you

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Re: PDF will not open on nook

[ Edited ]

I sometimes have problems with downloaded PDF's.  Was the file in pdf format originally or did you use PDF Converter to create a pdf from a web page?  My solution on Mac & Linux:

1. Mac - Print>Save as PDF.

2. Linux- Print>Print to File and select pdf as file type. 

I haven't used PDF Converter for a while (no longer use Windows).

You could also try using Calibre (free) to convert the pdf to ePub format.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

New User
ReeseKY
0 Kudos

These are manuals etc. from the web or cds.  Everything opens in the converter. I do 'save as' with pdf. I am sure how to download and not have them open and save through converter. Thank you

Inspired Contributor
GeoffreyF
0 Kudos

I am familiar with how the PDF format works.   It is possible to have many documents that all look the same on paper or screen and have totally different file organizations but all are "PDF".   Some PDF documents for example are just a collection of images - these will not work well on the nook small screen.  Others that are really a long list of instructions for typesetting text, not images, will tend to work better.  However, I could write a book on the other variations and I am quite sure many of them will not work on the Nook.

I have PDF's that work, you an view them but they don't display well and are effectively useless.

I don't think this can be fixed.  It all comes down to the eInk display being only 800x600.   Some PDF's count on having fonts installed on the computer and others include their own Fonts.  That too can be a problem.

Frequent Contributor
nookie_fan
0 Kudos

had this exact same problem with an e-book in pdf format, just got the message saying 'unable to open book.' I used calibre to convert the pdf to epub format and transferred to my nook, it then was able to open it.  I think it might have had something to do with the first page, it was a graphic of the cover, I hope this helps!

Important Links

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:56 members 634 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: