New User
austenfiend
0 Kudos

Password Protection

Does the Nook have some sort of password protection?  If my Nook was stolen, is there any kind of protection to prevent someone from running up a bill that I would be responsible for?

Of course, that makes me wonder about the same protection for either the Sony or Kindle.

Correspondent
guenevol
0 Kudos

Re: Password Protection

According to B&N... If your nook is lost or stolen, you have to report it so the thief cannot make purchases on your account. So I'm guessing that there is no password protection feature. You'd have to find out from an admin to be sure though.

New User
Starky
0 Kudos

I'm really hoping this is something that is addressed in a future update. Its a pretty big security issue if you let others use your nook (especially kids etc).

Contributor
Benny_the_Nook
0 Kudos

Yes, this is a worry for me too. Even basic cell phones have a password system. It's really weird that the nook doesn't. I think someone jumped the gun on getting these out for the holidays and forgot some very basic programming.

Maybe you don't want your kids to read through an erotic book.

Also, my teenage daughter thought it was funny to go in and change the name of my nook just for fun. But what if someone else chose to download books especially since the nook is an open channel to your credit card.  Does anyone know if the Kindle or Sony ereader has a built in password system?

Frequent Contributor
Technowitch
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I think what you need to do in the instance of a lost or stolen Nook (I'm not a BN person, but I just looked) is to use a computer to log in to your BN account.  Go to the Account Home page and look towards the bottom in the Digital Management section.  You should see a link to "My Nook."

If you click on that, you see your Nook and its unique ID number.  From there, you can de-register your Nook, which is the 1st thing I'd do if I lost mine.  *sweeps hands in an all-done gesture*  Then I freak because I lost my Nook and I've become addicted to it.  ;-)

Oh, but I do concur that'd be a very good added feature, to let you set your Nook not to allow purchases without typing a confirmation password.

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

I think several levels of passwords should be added as option.  One to even wakeup/power on the Nook.  One to finalize a purchase.  Settings should also be protected by one of these passwords.

Inspired Contributor
dc22
0 Kudos

I don't think any ereader is password protected  

Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

I don't think they really consider it much of a security risk.

1)  Anything someone else downloads will immediately be linked to your account.  You tell them its stolen on such and such date, I guarantee a refund for those books.

2)  I hope that one's credit card info isn't actually stored on the machine... because once a thief has physical access to a device, it wouldn't take a hacker much to strip all its data, password or no password.

3)  Its a simple process of unregistering your Nook.

However, passwords are good options for locking out people you don't just want messing around with your Nook and changing settings... but inputting a password for every purchase I make... nope.  Even my personal laptop remembers all those details for me.

TNS
TNS
0 Kudos

illmunkeys wrote:

I don't think they really consider it much of a security risk.

1)  Anything someone else downloads will immediately be linked to your account.  You tell them its stolen on such and such date, I guarantee a refund for those books.

2)  I hope that one's credit card info isn't actually stored on the machine... because once a thief has physical access to a device, it wouldn't take a hacker much to strip all its data, password or no password.

3)  Its a simple process of unregistering your Nook.

However, passwords are good options for locking out people you don't just want messing around with your Nook and changing settings... but inputting a password for every purchase I make... nope.  Even my personal laptop remembers all those details for me.

So I let my kids read a book, and the next thing....

As I said multiple levels of passwords OPTIONALLY set to control functions.

Frequent Contributor
ElaineMomNC1
0 Kudos

I have a Sony PRS300 and it is password protected.  At any rate, this item necessitates downloading from the Sony site and using the USB cable.  I have to provide the password anytime I make a purchase.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

For my kids Kindles, I simply deregistered them.  This shuts off the 3G and thus the internet as well.  If they want to buy a book, I will do it via the USB cable.

Contributor
jomar1120
0 Kudos

Kindle has no password either. People who will steal your nook can not download or buy books until they sign in to your account with Barnes and Noble and your account is password protected.

TNS
TNS
0 Kudos

jomar1120 wrote:

Kindle has no password either. People who will steal your nook can not download or buy books until they sign in to your account with Barnes and Noble and your account is password protected.

If someone steals your Nook he doesn't have to do anything special to sign-in and buy a book.  Just go to "shop", select some books and select buy.  No info is requested.  Which is why a optional Password would be a good idea.

Important Links

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:16 members 402 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: