Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
damanj23
0 Kudos

Re: Please share your favorite Nook accessories finds!

any updates by anyone who has purchased the kandle (mainly regarding glare, I googled pictures of it fitting). I can not seem to find a good position and bend for my mighty bright xtraflex2. Any time I am able to get the glare off the screen or edges, I can see the light bulb.

Frequent Contributor
Petuniabishco
0 Kudos

I ordered the Tupper Quote cover from B&N, but haven't gotten it yet (it's supposed to ship tomorrow).  But I found some really cute sleeves on Etsy, and since I wanted a couple of different options for covers, and I fell in love with the ones made by Rogue Theory, I purchased one of their sleeves.  Here's the link:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=38619727

I just got it in the mail today and I love it!  It seems very basic but very well made.  Nothing frilly or unnecessary, but it seems like it'll do a good job.  It was also great customer service and I loved the way it was packaged.  Good price, too!  I have a feeling I'll be ordering from them again.  I don't have my nook yet (class of 2/1), but it seems like this will serve its purpose well :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
dessine
0 Kudos

I love those designs, thanks petuniabischo!

They say on their storefront that there is interfacing, does that make the case stiff? Do you think your nook would be protected well in a purse/tote in your sleeve? 

Frequent Contributor
Petuniabishco
0 Kudos

It's not super stiff, but definitely more-so than just fabric.  It's probably some pretty thin cardboard, not any batting in between.  I think I'd feel comfortable with it in my purse, but I'm not sure if I would put it in a backpack or anything with a lot of other stuff, especially if that stuff is heavy.  It'll definitely protect from scratches, but probably not much from force (although, I don't know if most of the available cases/covers would unless they're metal or really really thick plastic).  I'll let you know once I get my nook, too, how it feels with that.  It's kind of hard to tell without the nook actually in it.

Distinguished Correspondent
gilgomez
0 Kudos

I got my Kandle last night and LOVE it!  I am concerned about the battery life (two are installed and two extras are included in the package) se we shall see.

I will try to remember taking a picture tonight and post it for you to see.  I love that it is super lightweight and compact, great to throw in a handbag or when travelling and yes, it has little or no glare on the screen because it "washes" light over the screen much like a wall washer light fixture does on artwork. 

Expensive shipping though, it was like $31.00 for the light plus S&H because it isn't covered by the Amazon free S&H offer.  It is shipped from Ozeri.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

Someone on here posted a review thread of their kandle with lots of pictures. Just do a search for kandle.

New User
bellafata
0 Kudos

sorry if someone posted this already but a lot of people are looking for good book lights and I've been using my light wedge, http://www.lightwedge.com/  which I used before my nook and it works pretty good with my nook as well!  I have the paperback size.  Hopefully it will fit into the pocket of my case as well. 

Contributor
CharlieSJ
0 Kudos

Nookie01-

On your skin, did you get the matte or the high gloss? review on the high gloss if that is what you got?

Cheers,

Charlie

Distinguished Correspondent
gilgomez
0 Kudos

bellafata wrote:

sorry if someone posted this already but a lot of people are looking for good book lights and I've been using my light wedge, http://www.lightwedge.com/  which I used before my nook and it works pretty good with my nook as well!  I have the paperback size.  Hopefully it will fit into the pocket of my case as well. 

How does it work and fit on the Nook?  I went to their lightwedge.com site and it appears as if it lays over the surface of a book page.  Is this the case?  Does it clip on somewhere?  Can you post pics of your Nook with the lightwedge?  This fixture looks interesting.

So far I really love the Kandle light.  No glare at all because it produces a wash of light on the screen rather than the reflection of a bright bulb over your screen.

Have a good day all!

Inspired Contributor
nookie01
0 Kudos

CharlieSJ wrote:

Nookie01-

On your skin, did you get the matte or the high gloss? review on the high gloss if that is what you got?

Cheers,

Charlie

I got the high gloss and there is no glare at all. I am very happy with my skin from Decal Girl.

The one word of caution I can add about the skins is that when applying them, you need to be very careful not to stretch them out because once they stretch, they don't go back to the snug fit that is desirable. I've finally got the skin on the back of my nook to fit properly, but it has taken a lot of gentle pushing with my fingers to get the corners to lay down perfectly flat without buckling - I'm pretty sure that I tugged it a bit too hard when first applying the skin. If you pull the skin off to realign it, it will stretch, and then the shape is not right. The skins are made to fit exactly and any stress on them will make the dimensions off by just a tad.

My advice to keep this problem from occuring is to remove the back of the packaging from the skin when preparing application. The natural inclination is to pull the skin off the packaging, but don't do that! The skin comes on a big piece of slick cardstock - and you will want to peel it off the cardstock, but if you do the reverse and peel the cardstock off the skin, that will avoid stressing the skin and it will help maintain the exact shape.

Also, the skins can be removed from the device without leaving any sticky residue. Just keep in mind that if you remove the skin, it will stretch a bit and you will have to really work with it and manipulate it to get it to fit properly when putting it back on.

And finally, I think the skin adds a wee bit of added strength to the bezel area, which is a bonus since that area seems to be very fragile. For that reason alone, I will always keep a skin on my nook!

Inspired Contributor
Joelmbenge
0 Kudos

My nook arrived last night and my Industriell cover the night before.  I cant' say enough about the Industriell cover.  It's sleek, doesn't have elastic straps and stuff covering the nook, and folds back for easy reading.  It even has that new car smell!

The one slight bother is that the spine is soft enough that it sometimes has a bit of a twist when I fold it back, so it's not squared up to the back cover.  But that's just my OCD flaring up.  :smileyhappy:

Would be nice to have a pocket in it, but I'll try sticking one in there  temporarily at some point maybe.

Note: it does not look like the product photos.  They've completely done away with the big, clunky bracket and now there are only two small tabs that fit into the notches on the top and bottom of the nook.  MUCH cleaner looking!

Inspired Contributor
Dito
0 Kudos

Agreed... the Industriell cover is very nice. They definitely need to update the online catalog photos. I was unsure at first that those two little tabs would hold my nook securely. And then my nook arrived. I've never had a product arrive with instructions on how to open it. Yeah, it's not going anywhere.

The B&N screen protectors are overpriced garbage. Mine lasted about an hour before I peeled it off. I am in the midst of a Google power search for a quality replacement. I'd really like a good anti-glare matte finish sheet for the reading pane. I will report back.

-Dito

Inspired Contributor
PlainBobMax
0 Kudos

For those interested in the silicone frames, there are a number of sellers on eBay that have similar items in more colors than what BN is offering, including black.  Just do an eBay search for "nook" and some of these will appear on the first page. The black ones look especially sharp.

Inspired Contributor
Dito
0 Kudos

Has anyone ever tried a screen protector from BoxWave? 

http://www.boxwave.com/products/cleartouch/cleartouch-screen-protector-barnes-_-noble-nook_3760.htm

It's the same price ($14.95) as the BN one. I might go for it.

New User
bellafata
0 Kudos

The lightwedge doesn't clip on unfortunately, I just hold it over the Nook the same way I would hold it over a page of a book.  It adds a little weight I guess but isn't really uncomfortable to me since the paperback size pretty much fits the Nook exactly.

The plus side to it is that it has LED lights so the batteries last forever.  I can't remember the last time I changed them.  Also, I have never really had any problems with glare.

Frequent Contributor
juliedanurse
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

The perfect nook accessory...

At last I can read where its *cough* "Damp" without risk of ruining a book.

Finally!!

Mere pennies!

Priceless!! :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I got the boxwave screen saver as part of a bundle with a battery charger for "emergencies" (I am not confident BN will fix the battery lifetime issue before I fly to Japan) and a longer cable for charging - the screen savers seem to be identical to the BN ones (Its a little scary that the packaging they come in shows a sony reader but it was ok when I actually opened up the packet). I like the hint that to remove the screen saver you can use a loop of scotch tape - I was worried using a finger nail to pry it up would scratch the screen...). I am also very impressed with Boxwaves customer service - they actually responded to my question

Inspired Contributor
dessine
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ColorWare colors the nook now too! If only it wasn't so expensive -- and if only I was willing to spend an extra 3 weeks without my nook!

This is what I made while playing around on their site. I love the pink & black.

I've always admired ColorWare from afar. I love the idea. They even have a new "soft touch" finish. Their finishes are supposed to be very durable and not even scratch. You can buy a new nook from them or send in your own, colored to your liking.

Contributor
holacandita
0 Kudos

Dito wrote:

Agreed... the Industriell cover is very nice. They definitely need to update the online catalog photos. I was unsure at first that those two little tabs would hold my nook securely. And then my nook arrived. I've never had a product arrive with instructions on how to open it. Yeah, it's not going anywhere.

The B&N screen protectors are overpriced garbage. Mine lasted about an hour before I peeled it off. I am in the midst of a Google power search for a quality replacement. I'd really like a good anti-glare matte finish sheet for the reading pane. I will report back.

-Dito

I know it's been mentioned before, but I really can't say enough positive things about the Zagg InvisibleShield.  I have the screen protector on my HTC Droid and had the full body protector on my previous phone and never even knew they were there.  I've already ordered one for my Nook.

I've posted this in another thread, but if any of you see the Tupper cover in your store, please let me know!  I read somewhere that some people had seen them in the store (can't believe it's not shipping until APRIL!).  I've checked a few stores and haven't had any luck.... but if there were someone out there who saw one and would be willing to pick it up and ship it to me, I'd make it worth your while!

Thanks,

Candice

Inspired Contributor
Galora_K
0 Kudos

I've had my nook for over a week now and have had no problems!  And I adore it.  I also love the accessories I have gotten for it so far.

My Lily DecalGirl Skin - it was a little bit of a challenge for me to put on as I've never applied something like that before but once I got it all smoothed out it's simply lovely.  No problems using the page forward or back buttons.  It does cover up the home button between the touch screen and the reader screen but it hasn't been a problem for me.  

My Zagg screen protector - holy crapy!  I was kind of freaked out when I opened it up and read the directions.  I even watched the application videos online.  Thankfully it was pretty easy to apply.   Someone had posted previously to apply your Zagg protector FIRST and then your skin (if you have one) and yep, you have to do so.  The skin goes a bit over the edges of the touch screen and you wouldn't be able to properly apply the screen protector. I don't even know it is there!  There is no impact or difficulty with the touch screen having the shield on it. I'm so glad I was able to be here and read these boards before I got my nook otherwise I would have gotten the B&N screen protector which I've heard nothing but bad reviews for.

My Mighty Bright Travel light - I got it in purple (to match my skin and my Oberon cover which is waiting for me at the post office!).  It's light, flexible and runs with a AAA battery.  It DOES NOT stay on the nook without a cover.  I'm using it but I hold it on.  The light provided is gentle and I haven't had a problems with glare. The neck is long enough that I can actually move the head to the side to illuminate the whole screen.  I kind of like it in that position because then it's not in my line of site and if I'm reading in a dark car while hubby is driving the light doesn't distract him.

I am so happy with the whole deal!  I've read books, downloaded, archived, side loaded screen savers and wallpapers.  No sideloading of books yet and I haven't added any music.  I don't know that I'll ever add music but we'll see.

Once I've got my cover I'll post all the pics.