Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
skcwa
0 Kudos

Re: Please share your favorite Nook accessories finds!

PlainBobMax wrote:

@skcwa: Is your DecalGirl skin gloss or matte finish?

The DecalGirl skin shown on my nook has the matte finish.

I also ordered a skin for my netbook which was only availble in the gloss finish. 

I very much prefer the matte finish, and I purposefully ordered a dark skin to prevent any glare when reading directly under a light.

Here's a  picture of them side by side, But it's hard to tell much difference. There is a definite difference and the matte on the nook provides a better feel while holding it as well as not reflecting any light.

I recommend the matte finish.

DecalGirl-matte-gloss

Frequent Contributor
woodword
0 Kudos

Hey skcwa, this is probably a dumb question but anyway... It looks like the skin covers the home button on the nook. Is it still usable like that? Thanks.

Contributor
skcwa
0 Kudos

woodword wrote:

Hey skcwa, this is probably a dumb question but anyway... It looks like the skin covers the home button on the nook. Is it still usable like that? Thanks.

Yes, the  skin covers the home button as well as the page turning buttons. For some reason they imprinted the page turning arrows on the skin, but not the home button, but it's pretty easy to find the center. For this skin, it happens to be where the center of the ladder is.  The page turning buttons work just fine as well and you can feel the raised dots next to them.

DecalGirl skin over buttons

Inspired Contributor
Joelmbenge
0 Kudos

I've noticed that you don't actually have to hit the home "button" to activate it.  The entire area above the screen seems to work, at least for me.

If you tilt the nook at a certain angle, you can see tiny raised dots in a grid pattern.  These cover the bar between the screens.

I've brought up the home screen by touching the bar in the corner once or twice.

Just an oddity.

skcwa wrote:

woodword wrote:

Yes, the  skin covers the home button as well as the page turning buttons. For some reason they imprinted the page turning arrows on the skin, but not the home button, but it's pretty easy to find the center. For this skin, it happens to be where the center of the ladder is.  The page turning buttons work just fine as well and you can feel the raised dots next to them.

Frequent Contributor
woodword
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the info skcwa. I had been thinking about getting a matte finish skin because I don't like how glossy the bevel on the nook is. Good to know the home button still works through one.

Contributor
BobRD
0 Kudos

I started out with an old sock.  Have moved up now to a B&N Dillane plain leather cover - very nice.

Reader 2
TCCFL
0 Kudos

Screen protectors are ABSOLUTE JUNK.  Wasted 30.00 on nothing.  Tried to install and virtually impossible to not touch the "sticky" side and get it centered.  Once touching sticky side finger print visible.  Does not fit.  Bubbles out - no way.  Nook is a winner - accessories are a bust.  Light not much better - another wasted 30 bucks.  Suggest you buy the Nook (a winner), buy a cheep cover, and wait for competitors to come out with quality accessories at reasonable prices.

Frequent Contributor
bjmbarb
0 Kudos

New Nook!  New Poster!  New Sickness/Obsession...Nook Covers. I purchased the M-Edge Executive Cover in Navy.  Very, Very Nice!  The flap has no magnet just slips in/inserts into the pocket. Very easy and very secure and great cover...and the light from M-Edge can be stored in the cover if you care too.  Also had to buy the Trip Cover.  Is a treated canvas with the elastic slip band...got navy with green.  This cover is just a bit smaller (not as wide) as the Executive and does not have pockets inside the cover but a super everyday cover.  There is a definite advantage of having a closure to your cover.  A cover with no closure would flap open and not be secure in a purse, tote, brief case etc.  But now...well now...thinking I must have an Oberon cover.  Is this sick or what!?  My Nook is only 4 days old, froze twice the first evening...read the manual...learned not to be so "heavy handed" and am just crazy about this e-reader.

Reader 4
linda58LA
0 Kudos

i also threw nine away.it was very hard to put on and had so many bubbles under it,wasted money