Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
CWilliam09
0 Kudos

Prices of B&N's ebooks make the nook a money pit

[ Edited ]

When I first saw the nook, I fell in love. I had never been overly attracted to the Kindle, but I knew right away that I wanted to invest in an ereader in the coming year. I seriously considered the nook instead of the Kindle, that is until I did the math. 

The nook, in my opinion, is the best bang for your buck compared to the Kindle. Better features, great usability, et cetera. However, the Kindle is far more worth it in my opinion because it costs far less to buy Amazon's ebooks. One wants an ereader to buy ebooks, right? With B&N's ebook store, you'll often be paying more for the ebook than what the real, physical book costs! This is absolutely ridiculous and a waste of my money.

I don't expect B&N to match Amazon's prices exactly, but when the ebook costs more than buying the actual book would. . .there is a fundamental problem in that. So, it's the Kindle for me.

-CWilliam09
Frequent Contributor
arrowspace90
0 Kudos

Re: Prices of B&N's ebooks make the nook a money pit

This is a good topic that has not been completely addressed.

But, a new, hardcover bestseller is $9.99 for the Kindle or the Nook. 

That is a substantial savings as many of these are about $25 in the store or by the time you add shipping from Amazon.

So, if I see a paperback in the store for $7.99 or, like the one I purchased at BN today, $15.99, how much am I likely to save?  Because if the price gets too close to a real book, why wouldn't I just buy the real book?

Likewise magazines and newspapers.  I don't think all of these questions have been answered yet.

Contributor
BigDogues
0 Kudos

The real gripe that a lot of us have is that the B&N's ebook price often exceeds the dead-tree version by several dollars and are not even close to being competitve with Amazon.

This is going to cost B&N a lot more than a few lost Nook sales if they don't address the issue.

Frequent Contributor
Xyxox
0 Kudos

Here's a great example of the problem. I already have the complete Sookie Stackhouse set.

On B&N, The Dead Tree 8 book Sookie Stackhouse set is $37.58.

The eBook version of the same is $51.13.

On Amazon, the Kindle version is $29.90.

The price of the eBooks is the one thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on the Nook. I'll wait all the way up to release day, but if this situation is not corrected by then, I will be purchasing a Kindle 2 on the release day of the Nook.

Technologically speaking, the Nook would be my preferred eReader hands down, but if B&N cannot compete on the price of eBooks, I have no choice but to go to Amazon.

And I have to make the decision by the release date of the Nook because I have family across the country who will be purchasing gift certificates for me for Christmas, and I'll need to tell them whether it's Amazon or B&N.

Contributor
Terry10
0 Kudos

Yep there is something wrong with that pricing scheme alright. I cannot see anyone buying the ebook version of the sookie stackhouse 8-volume set from B&N at that price. Hopefully someone at B&N will realize how ridiculous the price is. I did preorder the Nook but there are alternative sources of Ebooks out there if I do not like B&N's pricing at its Ebook store. They need to be competitive with the Ebook store also, not just the Ebook reader.

Contributor
avwh
0 Kudos

I can't conceive of ANY economic reason for the ebooks to be more expensive than paperbacks - that pricing makes no sense whatsoever.

...and now the most popular hardcover books fpr pre-order are in a price war between WalMart and Amazon - so many of THOSE will be less than $10.

Seems like hardcover ebooks should be less than $8-9, and paperbacks generally less than $7 - otherwise, why even buy the ebook version?

The Nook will NOT succeed if this ebook pricing at B&N doesn't improve.

New User
ihartsnape
0 Kudos

I was looking at buying a Nook in time for the holidays, and I ran into the same dilemma with the Sookie Stackhouse volume 1-8 set. When I compared the price between Barnes and Noble and Amazon as well as Barnes and Noble's eBook price versus their price for actual copies of the book, I started second guessing whether the Nook was going to be a wise purchase after all.

If all of the eBooks Barnes and Noble offer are so expensive, I may end up going for a Kindle, though I would much rather have a Nook in terms of features.

Frequent Contributor
CWilliam09
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I've found a dozen examples, but the following hits close to home. I'm a huge Lord of the Rings nut. I own several print editions, and would totally buy eBook versions for an ereader.

On B&N, the Fellowship of the Ring (the first book in the series) eBook costs $9.99. I won't even bother to compare the same book in the Kindle store because you can get ALL THREE BOOKS in the trilogy for $10.88!!!! Yes, that's just about a $20 savings and your getting three books instead of just the first one.

Oh, by the way, you can get a print version of the Fellowship of the Ring for LESS than $9.99.

I can't wrap my mind around why a digital copy solidly costs more than a printed book. It's crazy.

-CWilliam09
Reader 2
Read_able
0 Kudos

As a book lover, I have been weighing whether or not to invest in a e-book, because $259.00 is a lot for my budget. (Thats a lot of "real" books)  However,I was already to whip out the credit card for the Nook, till I read this thread. 

I also did some side by side comparasions by opening Amazon and B&N websites and searching some of the books on my list.  All the B&N  e-versions of paperback books were $1.50 higher than Amazon.   The hardcovers were comparable at $9.99 (these being recent publications).  

Since I will continue to purchase my favorite authors in hardcover for my library, an e-reader for me would be for paperbacks purchases, such as cosy mysteries and the like.  Why would I pay $6.99 for an e-book, when I can go to the bookstore pay $7.99 and actually have the pleasure of browsing.  Besides, I have B&N membership, in the store, I'd pay less than full price for the real paperbacks anyway.  From what I've read, the memberships won't apply to e-book purchases.

I hope someone from B&N is reading these discussions because I was already to pre-buy a Nook, now I'm gonna hold off till at least November 30 and see if B&N is going to lower prices in an effort to compete with Amazon. 

Frankly, the difference between the two r-eaders (for my purposes) is minimal, either one would do,  I like the Nook better....but budget is everything these days.

Contributor
Terry10
0 Kudos

Lord of the Rings

Regarding the E version of Lord of the Rings, I searched around and found free .txt versions of the entire series, completely compatible with any E Reader.  The Internet is your friend.

New User
LarryScott
0 Kudos

Re: Prices of B&N's eBooks make the nook a money pit

Among the obvious benefits of convenience, library consolidation, portability, etc., as well as the "coolness" factor, the single most important feature of any eBook reader - in my opinion - is the elimination of all the costs and slowness of paper publishing.  Gone are all the expenses for paper production, printing, shipping, shelf space, etc., all replaced by the instant transference of binary data at a truly negligible cost to the provider. 

I understand that royalties must be paid to the authors and publishers, and that AT&T will be getting a small piece of change for each transmission.  Of course, B&N is entitled to its profit as well; they're in the retail book business, after all.

Unless for some inconceivable reason the net cost to B&N to provide virtual books to its customers exceeds the price of selling physical copies, I think they're on the road to gross failure in this venture. B&N needs to examine its business model very, very carefully, and revise their pricing of eBooks as soon as possible. 

My wife and I buy a lot of books (several each month) and are seriously considering purchasing eReaders to lower our costs.  We will not remotely consider the nook so long as the prices for eBooks at B&N remain where they are. 

It's almost a given that they will make up in sales volume what they initially give up by reducing their eBook prices.  I'd like to see a response in this forum from a B&N representative as soon as possible.

Frequent Contributor
matts1050
0 Kudos

I preordered the Nook but will give B&N a few weeks to bring their prices in line. If not I have no problem going to the Kindle(other then it doesn't support pdf's). I have a converter installed on my computer  for the pdf's. It works so so .

Contributor
Z3d07
0 Kudos

everyone forgets that b&n is still a brick and mortar business and will never be able to compete with amazon as long as they keep that business model.  there are some examples of excessive price variances but for the most part that difference is minimal.  i would like to receive a discount for being a member but that's easily resolved by discontinuing my membership if the decision is made to continue to exempt ebooks.  imo, the savings and convenience over printed books is well worth the few extra dollars...i guess that's why some of us prefer to drive an import over a domestic and why some will prefer nook over any of the other brands.

New User
LaurieTx
0 Kudos

" imo, the savings and convenience over printed books is well worth the few extra dollars..."

You obviously didn't read this thread very thoroughly. It has been pointed out by more than one poster that BN's prices on ebooks are not only higher than Amazon's ebook prices, but higher than their own PAPER version. You get a 20% or higher premium, not savings.

Frequent Contributor
CWilliam09
0 Kudos

Re: Lord of the Rings

Terry10,

I understand that it's pretty easy to find .txt or .pdf versions of most popular books on the web, but generally that's seen as illegal (unless the publisher and/or author offers it) and it's highly inconvenient with the nook. The most basic features (highlighting, annotating, EVEN BOOKMARKING) only work with content purchased through B&N. I can do without annotating, but bookmarking is essential.

-CWilliam09
New User
StaciHalverson
0 Kudos

Re: Lord of the Rings

[ Edited ]

I believe B&N will be changing their prices very soon...I remember reading an article about this a month or so ago. It was regarding Plastic Logic's partnership with B&N...I don't have a link :smileysad: or remember where it was from, but I believe it said they were working on changing their pricing structure to compete with Amazon.

Reader
juwrco
0 Kudos

I'm so disappointed in Barnes and Noble. I read a minimum of 10 books a week and BN is my main supplier. I had been tempted by the Kindle 2 but had some concerns. I was all excited about the Nook, bought a couple of ebooks in preparation (wasn't given my membership discount).  I was interested in a book that was as previously stated, higher priced than the paper book. I feel like an old friend betrayed me!! No Nook for me! :-(

twa
New User
twa
0 Kudos

One of the main reasons I was leaning towards a nook versus a kindle2 was the fact that the battery life is only around 2 to 3 years and nook allows for self replacement. But considering the price differance on there ebooks I sent amazon an email to find out how they handled the battery replacement if they offered it at all. This is the e-mail they sent me back.

We learned from the first generation Kindle that changing the battery was rarely needed, so Kindle's battery is not replaceable by users.
The Kindle battery is covered under the initial one-year warranty, as well as the extended warranty offered on Amazon.com. If you face any problem, we will replace the battery without any charge.  Once you're outside the one- or two-year warranty period, you can get the battery replaced for $59 (plus $10 shipping and handling).
how they adress the bettery issue heres what they sent me in return    

I don't know about you but thats a far cry from not being able to replace it at all which is what I've seen alot of people post on here. I don't think thats a bad deal at all. In the long run what I would save on ebook prices alone will more than cover the price of battery replacement in the furture. Heck I'd save that much in the first 4 or 5 months let alone the years it would take for the battery to go bad. I have pretty much decided on a kindle2.

New User
zuz1173
0 Kudos

The more posts (and the lack of quality responses by B&N) the more I am being pushed towards the Kindle. At first the Nook seemed to have so much going for it, but there seems to be more and more flaws popping up. I already have a pretty decent ebook library and after my Sony Reader blew up on me I was all set to get the Kindle 2 for myself and my wife until I found out about the Nook. The price difference for ebooks just seems to be one more unexcusable issue.

B&N please respond or Amazon will be getting getting my money for the readers and ALL future book purchases.

Contributor
eaie
0 Kudos

I have a Kindle 1 and was leaning towards the nook until the pricing difference issue came up. 

I don't expect BN to be able to fight an ebook price war with Amazon. But I do expect them to be within at most 10% of Amazon's ebook prices, if they can't match the price at all. And the upper bound on the pricing on an ebook is the price of the physical book minus the steps associated with a physical book (production, transportation, etc). Incidentally, is there a rule of thumb for estimating the associated costs of a physical book? 

I wonder though how many people will bother to check the price of the competition. Yes, there are those kindle and sony readers owners and those who have done their homework in comparing prices. But the ebook users market is largely unexplored, and who knows if the average person walking into a BN store or going to the BN ebook store will be aware of this. If few, then BN need not worry too much about addressing the issues that the (minority) here is raising. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic.