Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
designHer
0 Kudos

Re: Prices of B&N's ebooks make the nook a money pit

Whereas I totally agree with the basic complaint in this thread, I do want to bring up a valid point. Unlike the Kindle, the Nook uses the ePub file type, which is more widely available through various online stores.

So yes, BN's prices are totally unacceptable for the Nook to succeed as purely supplied by BN... HOWEVER, if I buy a Nook, I can easily shop around for my ebook on other sites online, so long as they sell an ePub version.

The Kindle however, uses a file type that is not easily found in other places... so it has much less flexibility (and competition) in the ebook market.

Worst comes to worst, you can always user a converter to change your ebooks to pdfs, which are still readable on the Nook. Not my first option, but not that bad either.

My biggest complaint is the inability to buy eBooks through BN's site when outside of the US or with a non-US billing address. As far as I can tell, I can't buy any ebooks even though they are online so should be available to me. This makes it pretty much mandatory for me to buy  my ebooks somewhere else... such as shortcovers.com or google books.

Frequent Contributor
want2know
0 Kudos

PRICE PRICE PRICE

The price of the eBooks on B&N are awful compared to Amazon.  Example, Oprah's Book Selection "Say You're Not One Of Them".  Amazon $6.99   B&N $9.99.  There are many of these just like this.

After checking prices of the books I'll be ordering the Kindle.  What a disappointment.

Contributor
msgretired
0 Kudos

Re: PRICE PRICE PRICE

I would suggest you Google Gadget Queens Review of the Kindle 2 before you make a final decision.

Contributor
DigitalTempest
0 Kudos

Re: PRICE PRICE PRICE

Her review is what scared me away from the Kindle 2. LOL. I wouldn't even look at the nook at first because I'd made up my mind with the Kindle. Then, I read Gadget Queen's review, and that's when I decided to have a look at the nook... just in case. If I do decide to change my mind again, I'm going to invest in a Kindle 1, definitely.

"The tempest in my mind doth from my senses take all feeling." - Shakespeare
"This town ain't big enough for both of us, and it ain't me who's gonna leave." - The Sparks
Frequent Contributor
joeypore
0 Kudos

Prices Problem: If there's no official word about this soon...

The day is coming [Nov. 14th] where I will make my decision whether or not to purchase the Nook, and if that ends up being a "no," I will be purchasing the Kindle 2. In addition, selection is really pretty pathetic...

Other than a few needles in the haystack, almost all of B&N's books are more expensive, usually by 1, 2 or even 3 and 4 dollars. Unacceptable.

Post here if you have the same frustration about pricing.

To people @ B&N: You guys posted a thread about books you'd like to see on the store. For my list, just go look up Amazon's selection and add the titles that you don't have. That'll keep you guys busy for a while.

And do you realize by not making a statement about pricing, you are literally turning away customers.

Inspired Contributor
LabRatSB
0 Kudos

Re: Prices Problem: If there's no official word about this soon...

The admins keep moving the threads, but not responding to them.  A simple 'we're looking into it' or 'we are not permitted to respond to this', etc. would suffice, but instead threads like this keep getting looked over. Not good CS!

New User
drlittle
0 Kudos

B&N Membership/Promotional Discounts.

Do Membership discounts apply to eBooks?

Frequent Contributor
purple2381
0 Kudos

Re: B&N Membership/Promotional Discounts.

This has been discussed in lots of places, but no - right now Membership does not apply to ebooks, you can't use gift cards for ebooks, etc.  Hopefully this will change soon!

Frequent Contributor
dreamcatcherSM
0 Kudos

No, if you have a B&N mastercard you get the 5% back on your card but, you do not get a discount for memebership.  You also cannot use ANY gift card, paypal or bank issued gift card.

Frequent Contributor
dreamcatcherSM
0 Kudos

I e-mailed this very question to customer service and the response I got was that their "e-books are deeply discounted"  I do not agree.  The Stand is $40.00 for an e-book, 37.00 for a hardback and just over $7.00 for a paperback.