Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
LM44
0 Kudos

Problem reading Micro SD card

I'm having problems using MicroSD card with my nook. The nook does not display the proper size of the card and when I try to read through windows explorer, it shows the drive letter but asks me to insert a disc.

I have tried reinserting the card, numerous restarts, and I took the card out and put in usb card reader to verify that there was nothing wrong with the card. I have tried a sandisk class 6(8 GB) and a standard 2 GB card. Same problem. Any suggestions? thanks.

Contributor
Allen_Town
0 Kudos

Re: Problem reading Micro SD card

I'm on the phone with B&N I'll have an answer in a moment... When I add MP3 files on my mirco 16 gb SD  hc card the nook doesn't seem to read it. Perhaps I've done something wrong or not.  This is the first and only problem I've had with the nook. I haven't tried to add any other files to the nook via USB or the storage card besides the music files so I hope my answer will apply to all SD card problems.

Ok here what I've found out.. At this time if you are using a SD HC card you may have some problems there is a fix in place with should be ready to download next week (the week of 02/08/10) I couldn't get the exact date but sometime that week. I'm sure the fix is in place for all types of SD cards.

I hope that helps any and all fellow readers.

Correspondent
Mandroid
0 Kudos

I am sure you know this, but did you slide the metal housing down to lock the card in place?

"5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions"
Frequent Contributor
pitbull42
0 Kudos

I had the same problem.  I just bought a 8GB micro SD Sandisk and loaded it.  The nook read the card just fine.  I then went to load pictures and music to it.  On my SD card I created folders similar to the ones shown on the Nook's internal card.  I have ITUNES from which I transferred from.  In some cases, I transferred all songs from a particular artist so I just transferred the entire folder. In other cases, I just transferred individual songs.  After mounted, both the SD Card and the nook as per instructions I tried it out.  When I opened the music folder only the songs that were contained in a actual folder showed up.  The individual songs did not.  Also, of the pictures I transferred only the ones placed in wallpaper showed up. The ones for the screensaver did not.  All images were .JPG.  Also I think I am going to delete the music anyway.  I thought the music player would be like a IPOD were you could sort by artist or song but that is not the case.  The player just list all songs in some random order not even grouped by album.  I could be doing something wrong.  I really only got extra memory for music because the internal memory has enough for my books for awhile.

Inspired Wordsmith
LM44
0 Kudos

Mandroid wrote:

I am sure you know this, but did you slide the metal housing down to lock the card in place?

Hi,

Yes I did. Same problem.

Inspired Wordsmith
LM44
0 Kudos

Allen_Town wrote:

I'm on the phone with B&N I'll have an answer in a moment... When I add MP3 files on my mirco 16 gb SD  hc card the nook doesn't seem to read it. Perhaps I've done something wrong or not.  This is the first and only problem I've had with the nook. I haven't tried to add any other files to the nook via USB or the storage card besides the music files so I hope my answer will apply to all SD card problems.

Ok here what I've found out.. At this time if you are using a SD HC card you may have some problems there is a fix in place with should be ready to download next week (the week of 02/08/10) I couldn't get the exact date but sometime that week. I'm sure the fix is in place for all types of SD cards.

I hope that helps any and all fellow readers.

hi allen_town,

I've tried the micro SDHC and a standard Micro SD 2 GB card with the same problem. Hopefully the next update will fix this. Thanks for the info.

New User
Ahamkara222
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ok, for all those people having problems reading your micro SD cards when you put them in your nook. This should solve the problem with the nook reading the micro SD cards and displaying it improperly. I had the same problem and solved it with the following steps:

1. Check in your settings to see if the nook still displays the incorrect card size. Otherwise you don't need to do the following steps if it's correct Also, be sure your micro SD/HCSD card is inserted into your nook by removing the back cover.

2. Press and hold your power button on your nook until it totally powers off and the screen goes white. You must do a complete shutdown of the nook for this step to be effective. (ie. You must hold the power button, not just press it. Only pressing it simply takes your nook into standby mode instead.)

3. Power back on your nook after a few seconds.

4. Go to your settings on your nook again and recheck the SD card size. It should now show the proper size.

As a last check do the following:

5. If you have the USB cable for your nook, connect the small USB end to your nook, then connect the larger USB connector to your PC.

6. Click on Start/Computer on your PC and look at the drives/devices connected to your computer. It should now list the nook as a drive, as well as your micro SD card as being a separate drive. If your nook was not recognizing your SD card properly before, it would have shown only your nook as a connected device. Now there should always be TWO devices when you connect to a PC.

Hope this solution helps a lot of people. For those of you who are concerned with other issues, please call 1-800-THE-BOOK (843-2665) and contact customer support about your issue. Be patient when on the phone, (the call is free for you of course) and report all issues you have regarding your nook to them. This will help resolve issues and have them addressed in future firmware updates and fixes. Thanks for reading, and keep updating this forum with all your concerns.

Inspired Wordsmith
LM44
0 Kudos

Well, I had already done the night before what Ahamkara222 suggested.

I was planning on calling customer support tomorrow and decided

to do the same procedure again tonight. Now it's working. I think

these cards have bad connections when placed in the reader. I

guess they got to be placed in there just right. I wished B&N

used a standard SD card instead of the MicroSD cards that can be inserted and removed

from the side of the unit instead of opening the cover. I never

did like micro sd cards because of how they are mounted.

I'd like to thank everyone for responding to my post.

I appreciate the help.