Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Titans95
0 Kudos

Public Library Borrowing - Expand Your Options

I've had my nook since Christmas and absolutely love it, despite a few bugs.  Although I've purchased several books the vast majority of my reading on the nook has been books borrowed from the public library.

Because my public library has reciprocal borrowing privileges with several surrounding jurisdictions, I can borrow books from those libraries without ever having to leave my home (except for the initial visit to get a library card).  I live in the Washington DC metropolitan area, and thus far I've gotten borrowing privileges from:  District of Columbia, Montgomery County (MD), Arlington County (VA), Fairfax County (VA), and Loudoun County (VA).  Not every library system around here has e-books though, but I'm sure more will in the near future.  Those of you whose libraries don't yet have e-books should check surrounding jurisdictions and see if you can get privileges there.

Luckily work and personal commitments have me traveling throughout the area often, so I just find the nearest library to where I'll be and pop in for 5 minutes to get a card.

New User
Tasha25
0 Kudos

Re: Public Library Borrowing - Expand Your Options

Hello,

I have been trying to set my Nook up to borrow books from the library and have been unable to. How exactly did you set your Nook up for this?

Frequent Contributor
Titans95
0 Kudos

You have to use Adobe Digital Editions to borrow books from a public library (assuming the library uses Overdrive to manage lending).  Download ADE, plug in your nook and then authorize your nook through ADE.  You only have to do this once.

To check out a library book, first plug your nook into your computer.  Then download the book (click on "open" and not "save" which simply saves the link, and not the book).  ADE should launch automatically and you'll see the nook listed as a device.  Using ADE, drag the book from your computer to the nook.  If you have 1.1.1 then that should be it.  If you have 1.1.0 I think you have to open the nook icon and then drag the book to the "My Documents" folder (I have 1.1.1 so I don't have to do this extra step).

That's it.

Inspired Contributor
Evrosado
0 Kudos

I have purchased certain books that I want to be part of my library, but I have been borrowing books from the library.  It is easy to sideload the books using Adobe. 

Evelyn
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Titans95 wrote:

To check out a library book, first plug your nook into your computer.  Then download the book (click on "open" and not "save" which simply saves the link, and not the book).  ADE should launch automatically and you'll see the nook listed as a device.  Using ADE, drag the book from your computer to the nook.  If you have 1.1.1 then that should be it.  If you have 1.1.0 I think you have to open the nook icon and then drag the book to the "My Documents" folder (I have 1.1.1 so I don't have to do this extra step).

That's it.

Once your nook is registered you don't have to use ADE to move files to your nook.  Just download to ADE, and then use your regular file manager (Explorer) to copy to my documents.  The less you let ADE mess with your nook the better.  

Frequent Contributor
Titans95
0 Kudos

I suppose that's true, but I've never had an issue with ADE messing up my nook.  Since ADE opens automatically when I borrow a book, it's easier to just move it to my nook from there.  And I also use ADE to return books early since I typically don't need the 14-21 day loan period (depending on the library) to finish a book.

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

Titans95 wrote:

I've had my nook since Christmas and absolutely love it, despite a few bugs.  Although I've purchased several books the vast majority of my reading on the nook has been books borrowed from the public library.

Because my public library has reciprocal borrowing privileges with several surrounding jurisdictions, I can borrow books from those libraries without ever having to leave my home (except for the initial visit to get a library card).  I live in the Washington DC metropolitan area, and thus far I've gotten borrowing privileges from:  District of Columbia, Montgomery County (MD), Arlington County (VA), Fairfax County (VA), and Loudoun County (VA).  Not every library system around here has e-books though, but I'm sure more will in the near future.  Those of you whose libraries don't yet have e-books should check surrounding jurisdictions and see if you can get privileges there.

Luckily work and personal commitments have me traveling throughout the area often, so I just find the nearest library to where I'll be and pop in for 5 minutes to get a card.

There are often lots of possibilities for additional lending possibilities.  All the libraries in my county have shared access.  And in NY state all residents have access to the New York Public Library.

Contributor
stacyb27
0 Kudos

I have a mac and have downloaded some books from the library and am able to see them on the nook.  When I try to read them it goes to the formatting page and then right back to the library page.  How am I able to read these books?

Frequent Contributor
Titans95
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Did you use ADE to authorize your nook?  You must do that first before you can read the books on your nook.  I also use it to transfer books to the nook, but others seem to have success just using the computer's regular file management system.  The key is to authorize your nook with ADE first -- this is how the library controls checkouts and returns.

I'm assuming that your library uses Overdrive.  Don't know how it would work otherwise but it seems like most libraries use Overdrive.

Contributor
stacyb27
0 Kudos

Yep, my nook is authorized and i see the icon on the left side of ADE.  My library does use overdrive.  I have no idea why they won't open.