Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Diabetic36
0 Kudos

Renting eBooks

Can you rent eBooks and where can you rent them from?

Another question, say I have books that I want to put onto my nook do I have to re-buy them?

Frequent Contributor
joeypore
0 Kudos

Re: Renting eBooks

To your first question, I don't know of any "renting" services per say. However, a service known as Overdrive allows you to download digital library titles from participating local libraries. These use Adobe's DRM, so they should work on the Nook [since no one's able to test it, I can't say for sure.]

To your second, if you're talkinga about physical copies, yes. To do it legally, anyway.

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

Diabetic36 wrote:

Another question, say I have books that I want to put onto my nook do I have to re-buy them?

rent books ? 

Have not found anyone offering the concept... it's either very old classic in public domain, or recent commercial author protecting their book with purchase and DRM protection.

As was mentioned, there are ebook libraries, usually associated with your local town library.... lots of old classics are public domain (free) but more recent commercial ebooks are avail from the virtual library - BUT are protected with DRM - and will NOT currently work on the Nook.

have books ?  what does that mean ?

If you have ebooks... in epub or pdf format - the killer question is --> are they DRM protected ?

If yes... then you will NOT be able to copy them to the Nook.

If not protected.... then no problem copying them across - as long as the format is one supported by the Nook.

Correspondent
guenevol
0 Kudos

As for the "have books," I think they meant paper copies. If you want those on eBook, you'll either have to repurchase them or cut them up and scan them to convert to a digital format. There is no discount or free eBook program for books you already own (unfortunately).

I haven't heard of a renting service either, other than Overdrive. No one is sure whether these titles will work. I believe I read somewhere that they will not work, but I can't find the thread.

Frequent Contributor
joeypore
0 Kudos

ps56k wrote:

Diabetic36 wrote:

rent books ? 

Have not found anyone offering the concept... it's either very old classic in public domain, or recent commercial author protecting their book with purchase and DRM protection.

As was mentioned, there are ebook libraries, usually associated with your local town library.... lots of old classics are public domain (free) but more recent commercial ebooks are avail from the virtual library - BUT are protected with DRM - and will NOT currently work on the Nook.

have books ?  what does that mean ?

If you have ebooks... in epub or pdf format - the killer question is --> are they DRM protected ?

If yes... then you will NOT be able to copy them to the Nook.

If not protected.... then no problem copying them across - as long as the format is one supported by the Nook.

Those last few things are actually not true...

As stated in another thread posted by an admin, the Nook WILL work with DRM files using Adobe's EPUB DRM. In addition, this is believed to include Overdrive [library titles]

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

joeypore wrote:

Those last few things are actually not true...

As stated in another thread posted by an admin, the Nook WILL work with DRM files using Adobe's EPUB DRM. In addition, this is believed to include Overdrive [library titles]

You have to be careful when discussing the topic of DRM and how it applies to the Nook.  Each and every vendor that has DRM has implemented it with their own point of view.  Therefore, the DRM encryption key or technique used by one vendor, store, or library may or may not actually work with the Nook.   Even if they are using Adobe Digital Editions, there are various flavors of how the encryption will work.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=663540&postcount=2

SO - just because something supports Adobe DRM, doesn't mean it's the same across all venues, and especially with the Nook.  The Nook will of course work with books purchased & downloaded from the B&N store.... but as far as any other book with it's own version of Adobe DRM - like from the Overdrive library, or another vendor, that will have to be tried after the Nook actually arrives.

Jim says everything will work fine - but I guess I'll have to see it...

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60571&page=2