Frequent Contributor
binkman71
0 Kudos

SDHC Question

I'm using an old 1GB micro SD card.  I had purchased a 4GB micro SDHC card, but the nook will not acknowledge it, no matter what I do.  I got it at a store, it is a brand called "Dane-Elec".  Now, it works just fine in my computer when using the USB adapter it came with.  I put it in a full size SD adapter and tried that out as well.  Computer is fine with it.  nook hates it (well, says there isn't a card installed, but still).

I've seen issues like this with devices in the past, as I'm a bit of a gadget freak.  Sometimes the slightest thing can keep a device from using a particular memory card, when other devices have no issue with it.  So my question is to those of you who use 4GB or better micro SDHC cards for your nooks:

What brand/model are you using? 

I'd like to have more than just an extra 1GB here, but figured I'd ask around before buying again.

Thanks,

K.

Frequent Contributor
pepino
0 Kudos

Re: SDHC Question

I found a transcend 8GB at newegg.com for $15.49.  Should have it in a couple of days along with my Nook.  I'll let you know how it works out.

Frequent Contributor
BillH
0 Kudos

pepino wrote:

I found a transcend 8GB at newegg.com for $15.49.  Should have it in a couple of days along with my Nook.  I'll let you know how it works out.

I also bought a Transcend 8GB Class 6 SDHC from Newegg. The nook see's it fine....works perfect.

Contributor
fast_car
0 Kudos

Always be careful of junk memory cards or ram. Not worth it since you will get inconsitent results with them. While it may seemingly work in your PC, seeing it means nothing veruses using it. The Nook may run a simple test on it when inserted and will not use it or if the electrical charge of the memeory is not sufficient enough for the Nook, no work either.

I would highly doubt brand name memory will have issues and with todays prices, no reason to get junk

Frequent Contributor
SV-Guenevere
0 Kudos

I had pre-loaded a few PDF book on an SD chip, but once I installed it, the Nook did see the chip, BUT DID NOT automatically see the books on the chip, bummer. I finally removed the SD, moved the files to my laptop, erased them from the SD card, put the SD card back in, and did what they call “Side Load” the files back into the NOOK. Now they show up just fine.

I just downloaded a free computer e-book software package called Calibre. I must say I like this a LOT! The new version (calibre-0.6.27) has been updated to work with the Nook. I loaded a number of books into the program. I also found the ability to download news sources directly in the program. I selected to do a one-time download of CNN and Discover Magazine. It worked very well and was on my computer. When I connected the Nook, it was seen quickly and IT SAW THE SD CARD! This is the first time I have seen the card on the Nook other than in the “”settings” page. It was not even showing up on my computer when I plugged the Nook in. I then saw that Calibre put my CNN news onto the Nook, on the SD card.

I was very surprised to see how well it worked! And the BIG surprise was that when I opened the news on the Nook, it has the headlines highlighted. When I pressed the little “o” on the Nook with a headline highlighted, I was taken to that story! Just like surfing on the web. I feel this is a BIG advantage!

After I used the Calibre program I closed it. A short time later, I connected the Nook to the computer and looked in the “My computer” window and NOW Windows sees the SD card also! I don't know why it's working now and did not before, but hay, I guess that's why they call them confusers!

Greg

My Nook review at:http://www.svguenevere.com/grr/ereader/readers.html

Correspondent
guenevol
0 Kudos

I have an HP-branded 8GB microSDHC card that's working just fine. I found it for about $17 on Amazon.

Frequent Contributor
BillH
0 Kudos

SV-Guenevere wrote:

I just downloaded a free computer e-book software package called Calibre. I must say I like this a LOT! The new version (calibre-0.6.27) has been updated to work with the Nook.

This looks very promising. Just got done downloading it.

Frequent Contributor
SV-Guenevere
0 Kudos

I have been using Calibre for a few days now. I LOVE IT! The more I use it, the better it seems.

It connects to my Nook, AND our Sony 505. It downloads news (automatically if asked for) and side loads to the NOOK (or Sony) just fine!

Since we live aboard our sailboat, we have over 1500 E-Books that we have collected since 1991. I am able to tell Calibre to load ePub books on the readers and as I ask for one of our .txt books to be added to our readers, it converts them!

Greg

www.svguenevere.com

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

Thank you for letting us know about Calibre's new support for nook!  I'm even more excited to get mine now. :smileyhappy:  Glad to hear your SD card problems are resolved too.

Frequent Contributor
binkman71
0 Kudos

@SV-Guenevere:

Did you tell the nook to check for new content?  It appears if you transfer things over USB to the memory card it sometimes knows to do this automatically, but otherwise, I have to tell it to check.  When viewing documents, it should be a menu choice on the touch screen.

K.

Contributor
TnFlightMedic
0 Kudos

Calibre is a wonderful program! Thanks for the info! I just donated twenty bucks to the cause, well worth it!

Frequent Contributor
nook_expert
0 Kudos

Binkman71:  What format is your SD card?  I think the nook only supports FAT16 or FAT32.

Inspired Contributor
WCK123
0 Kudos

I ordered a 16GB Dane-Elec micro SDHC (Class 2) from amazon.com and it's working fine.

www.twodadsonegirl.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
binkman71
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I formatted it as FAT32.

OH, and it's class 4.  Maybe the Dane-Elec class 4 is the problem...I dunno.  After the holidays, I'll order a Kingston or something from NewEgg.com. 

Thanks for all the responses!

K.

Frequent Contributor
SV-Guenevere
0 Kudos

I have been using it for a few days and it just keeps getting better!

By the way, did you all see it has a video demo!

It's at: http://calibre-ebook.com/demo

I missed it the first time, but watched it a short time later and picked up some facts I had not stumbled across.

Greg

Frequent Contributor
binkman71
0 Kudos

Happy to report a SanDisk 4GB card (class 2) is working in my nook!

So, yeah, it appears it just had an issue with that Dane-Elec card from Target.

K.

New User
mears54
0 Kudos

hopefully they can adress the issues with the card reading. i have 2 SanDisks that the reader won't see itself (though they mount fine when attached via the nook to my computer) and one Transcend that it will.

Inspired Contributor
JD05
0 Kudos

I am also using a Transcend 8GB Class 6 microSDHC in my nook.  Works perfectly.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IAMME8/ref=oss_T15_product

-----------------------------------
User manual: http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pimages/nook/download/User_Guide_nook.pdf
Remove the back cover: 25; Install microSD: 115; Wallpapers: 57, 113 (Use 600 x 760); Screensavers: 57, 112 (600 x 800)
Distinguished Correspondent
gilgomez
0 Kudos

Hello there....

Hoping someone can help me because I am highly frustrated tryiing to have my Nook play audio files I copied on my memory card using itunes.  The music files had been imported into itunes from my personal CD's.

When I go to the settings on the Nook the device lists the memory card and percentage of free space but I can't find any "playlist" when I try opening my audio player.  Duh, I am just not "getting it".

I am using a 8gb SanDisk micro card purchased at Costco for $9.99 the day after Thanksgiving.  Maybe it wasn't such a deal after all if the card isn't compatible with the Nook?

So, I need some guidance here....

Thanks,

Gilda

Inspired Contributor
JD05
0 Kudos

Gilda,

When you imported your CD's, what format did you use?  nook will only recognize MP3 files; not AAC.  In iTunes preferences check your import settings.  I bet you imported as AAC files.

If they are AAC files, you'll have to convert them to mp3.  iTunes can do that for you.

-----------------------------------
User manual: http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pimages/nook/download/User_Guide_nook.pdf
Remove the back cover: 25; Install microSD: 115; Wallpapers: 57, 113 (Use 600 x 760); Screensavers: 57, 112 (600 x 800)

Important Links

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:55 members 448 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: