Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
birdywatcher
0 Kudos

Somebody help me decide!

I want a Nook so bad, but all of the glitches and negative customer feedback freaks me out.  Help convince me!

Correspondent
Heritage07
0 Kudos

Re: Somebody help me decide!

Mine works perfect
Frequent Contributor
Groo
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I haven't tried the Kindle, Sony, etc but I love my Nook. Works great for me.

Contributor
denisec
0 Kudos

I have had a few minor issues , but I love mine.

Inspired Contributor
yasulh
0 Kudos

birdywatcher wrote:

I want a Nook so bad, but all of the glitches and negative customer feedback freaks me out.  Help convince me!

This is my first e-reader and I love it! I am 2/3 of the way through my second book on it and have not had any problems with either of them. While there may still be some glitches with some of the fancier options (like notes), I have not had any problems using my nook for what it is meant for - reading. I have also been able to use bookmarks effectively as long as I followed the advice of others on this board and just don't turn the device off. :smileyhappy: I have already recommended the nook to many of my friends, and would recommend it to anyone who wants an e-reader. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
luminessence
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

birdywatcher wrote:

I love my Nook :smileyhappy: I've had a few minor glitches, but nothing that gets in the way of me reading my books. (Besides, I think any electronic device is going to act weird occasionally - my Sony Reader used to randomly crash sometimes when I tried to turn the page!) Besides, although my Nook came with the first software update already on it, I've heard the update fixed a lot of problems, so I'm guessing future updates will make it even better.

Frequent Contributor
ScrappersNook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Love my Nook...just received it yesterday, drove it to town to register, since we live in the country and AT&T is pitiful where we live...registered immediately, bought a new book right off the bat, downloaded some free books while I was at it....absolutely no complaints at all, nada...I love holding it to read, the page swipe is a dream, oh how nice it is to just swish my finger over the screen and the page turns just as I am ready to read the next page....OK, I just can't say enough good things.   Soon as we got home we synced (or whatever it's called) with our wireless router and it works like a charm here too)

I too was scared by all the negative posts, but then I read where so much was most likely user error...so, use your own judgment, but if you can use a computer, then you can surely use and figure out the Nook....it's awesome.  Plus you have lots of help on here....edited to add---Try it, you'll like it....

Inspired Correspondent
Goodword
0 Kudos

I was also concerned when I saw all of the negative comments, but I've had mine since Wednesday, and I love it!  Reading so many threads here before mine arrived helped.  I've followed the directions that came with it, made sure it was fully charged before I played with it, and any little glitches I've encountered have been covered here on these boards.  I can't believe how much I enjoy reading on the Nook!

Frequent Contributor
Snowie
0 Kudos

I almost cancelled my order when the first shipment went out and people were complaining about all sorts of bugs. I read the posts and weighed my options. If there was no Nook I would have a Kindle but since there is I took the chance and hung in there. I have not had any major problems with my Nook since I received it. I've been able to sideload content from eReader and my local library no problem. I've also had no issues downloading from the BN directly to my Nook. I've read I think four books now and while some of the books aren't formatted exactly how I would prefer, I can still read what I want in a convenient form. I did have my Nook freeze once but the quick remove battery fix helped and I've not had a problem since. I think with any new product you're going to have glitches and while it might seem like BN is slow to fix them I'm sure they are working like crazy to fix anything major and will tweak the minor annoyances later. I say go for the Nook, it has a nice feel, it's very intuitive and very easy to use. This is my first eReader and I had no problems registering and getting started. So far the Nook does everything I want it to do, display books. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you go with the Nook, but if you are nervous about a relatively new product the Kindle pretty much works the same but it's been through a few rounds of bug fixes and redesigns so it might be slightly less quirky than the Nook. For me I liked the potential of the Nook and I also liked the way it looked, which I know isn't crucial but it was a selling point for me.  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

birdywatcher wrote:

Wait and see how the next software update works out.  Its supposed to be out by the end of this month.  That's not too long to wait, and you can check these forums for people's opinion.

But never forget that this is a help board, and you will always see posts from people seeking help.  Those with no problem don't post here.

Correspondent
athenagwis
0 Kudos

I own a Kindle (bought in April) and now two nooks (one for me and one for hubby).  I wouldn't say that the nook is a vast improvement over the Kindle, but I have really enjoyed using my nook.  I have had the same issues as others (battery life, last page read not staying etc...) that I hope will be fixed in an update, but other than those I have very much enjoyed using the nook.  One of the reasons I waited for the Kindle 2 was because I knew the Kindle 1 would be buggy since it was a first generation device.  I didn't wait for the nook 2, because i was intrigued by the LCD screen.  While the nook may not be perfect, I feel that it will be pushed farther than the Kindle in the coming year or so.  Especially with the Android base, it just seems to have the potential for so much more.  However, I will say that I am not planning on selling my Kindle, I am happy to have two libraries in my house, that way I can take advatage of what both have to offer me.  I am happy that the Kindle has some serious competition now, as it can only be good for the consumer.  I would bet anything that Amazon would not have made PDFs readable on the K2 if the nook didn't have that feature ... and I am sure there will be more back and forth between the two companies on price and features, all of which will benefit us.

Inspired Contributor
JD05
0 Kudos

troll alert

-----------------------------------
User manual: http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pimages/nook/download/User_Guide_nook.pdf
Remove the back cover: 25; Install microSD: 115; Wallpapers: 57, 113 (Use 600 x 760); Screensavers: 57, 112 (600 x 800)
Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

birdywatcher wrote:

Wait and see how the next software update works out.  Its supposed to be out by the end of this month.  That's not too long to wait, and you can check these forums for people's opinion.

But never forget that this is a help board, and you will always see posts from people seeking help.  Those with no problem don't post here.

I agree with this.  But, if that update comes out and doesn't correct all of the problems or creates new ones, I would go with a Kindle.  B&N CS has been horrible and they fail to give out any reliable information on when problems will be fixed.  Solutions and answers on timelines for corrections vary.  In addition, Kindle 3 will likely be out this Spring.
Correspondent
EastCoastBird
0 Kudos

birdywatcher wrote:

All you need to know is right here in the many threads.  Read on, then decide.  Many of the issues are legitimate and BN has/is working on fixing them through OTA updates (ex. 1.1.1); other "problems" are because people fail to read or understand instructions on the manual.  Do you not think the Kindle or the Sonys had problems at their initial launches?  Of course they did.  If you want to forgo the new and exciting (in my opinion) features of the nook because you want everything perfect immediately, by all means go get a Kindle (which has had a couple years' headstart and is more mature).  The negative feedback is freaky but put them in context and you'll be OK.  As someone else has said, it's easier to gripe, whine, complain (etc.), than to take the time to give positive feedback--in most cases, people won't bother with the nice but will miss their daughter's first piano recital so that they can rush to a computer to play the violin on a message board.  LOL :smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

EastCoastBird wrote:

birdywatcher wrote:

All you need to know is right here in the many threads.  Read on, then decide.  Many of the issues are legitimate and BN has/is working on fixing them through OTA updates (ex. 1.1.1); other "problems" are because people fail to read or understand instructions on the manual.  Do you not think the Kindle or the Sonys had problems at their initial launches?  Of course they did.  If you want to forgo the new and exciting (in my opinion) features of the nook because you want everything perfect immediately, by all means go get a Kindle (which has had a couple years' headstart and is more mature).  The negative feedback is freaky but put them in context and you'll be OK.  As someone else has said, it's easier to gripe, whine, complain (etc.), than to take the time to give positive feedback--in most cases, people won't bother with the nice but will miss their daughter's first piano recital so that they can rush to a computer to play the violin on a message board.  LOL :smileyvery-happy:

I no longer see the nook as new and exciting.  All of it's selling points have had issues.  Lending and reading in sore are severely limited.  Book selection was misleading.  The LCD is a great plus but due to issues with swiping and battery life, it is not as great as once touted.  Problems with bookmarks, remembering pages, and notations can be changed with an update but B&N has failed to publicly acknowledge the problems and give a solid timeline for an update.  Again, nook has potential, but while B&N is trying to fix all of its problems, Other new ereaders are being launched that are now more "new and exciting" than it is.

Correspondent
EastCoastBird
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

EastCoastBird wrote:

birdywatcher wrote:

I no longer see the nook as new and exciting.  All of it's selling points have had issues.  Lending and reading in sore are severely limited.  Book selection was misleading.  The LCD is a great plus but due to issues with swiping and battery life, it is not as great as once touted.  Problems with bookmarks, remembering pages, and notations can be changed with an update but B&N has failed to publicly acknowledge the problems and give a solid timeline for an update.  Again, nook has potential, but while B&N is trying to fix all of its problems, Other new ereaders are being launched that are now more "new and exciting" than it is.

And some people are more patient than others.  Those people can rush to those other new ereaders and they'll be sitting in a message board like this whining about THOSE ereaders' initial launch problems.  Go for it.

Inspired Contributor
GeoffreyF
0 Kudos

The thing to consider with boards such as this one, for any product, is that people tend to come with problems and complaints more than some vapid - "Love it ... no problems, thanks for listening, bye bye". This is a new product and it has had some kinks. A new product also attrracts people who are new to the concept and take some getting used to it. The nook is a solid and useful product that does what it should. It has features that are unique. It has some kinks that will be worked out over time and many of those people complain about, have already been solved. I chose the nook over the kindle even though I had to wait for the nook. I'm glad I waited. I also expected startup issues since I work in the mobile device industry and I expected the kinds of problems we have seen. I expect the solutions too. The fundamental design of the nook, especially the touch screen instead of keyboard is very sound and will serve it well. I'm completely satisfied with the nook and I am having a perfect blast with it. I'm reading more and enjoying it more.
Correspondent
EastCoastBird
0 Kudos

GeoffreyF wrote:
The thing to consider with boards such as this one, for any product, is that people tend to come with problems and complaints more than some vapid - "Love it ... no problems, thanks for listening, bye bye". This is a new product and it has had some kinks. A new product also attrracts people who are new to the concept and take some getting used to it. The nook is a solid and useful product that does what it should. It has features that are unique. It has some kinks that will be worked out over time and many of those people complain about, have already been solved. I chose the nook over the kindle even though I had to wait for the nook. I'm glad I waited. I also expected startup issues since I work in the mobile device industry and I expected the kinds of problems we have seen. I expect the solutions too. The fundamental design of the nook, especially the touch screen instead of keyboard is very sound and will serve it well. I'm completely satisfied with the nook and I am having a perfect blast with it. I'm reading more and enjoying it more.

Good points.  It's called the "early adopter" syndrome--we all have it (anyone who got the nook in and since the 4th Quarter of 2009).  You get this thing now, you better have the attitude that there will be unanticipated issues that can and do prop up no matter how hard a company works to anticipate during R&D and pre-launch.  If you're a scaredycat, come back in January 2011.

Correspondent
Heritage07
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

Alley

I think if you had not returned yours before you waited for the 1.1.1 update you would have a big difference of opinion. I have not lost a bookmark or missed a swipe. I certainly understand though at the time you had it, you had major problems, and did not want to take a chance that it would be updated, especially with only being allow 14 days to return it.

I have to tell you mine has not experience and problems, although reading this board scared the crap out of me when I received it expecting the worse!

The two most common issues that need to be addressed are loosing bookmarks when the unit is powered off and extending the battery life. I personally have experience good battery life with Airplane mode on. I also have not lost any bookmarks because I just let my nook sleep.

Kudos for B&N coming out with an eReader that accepts may formats and has an open operating system that allows for many future apps. If anything you should be happy, The launch of the Nook forced Amazon to drop the Kindles price, scramble to add wireless, and now work on updates to add other eReading formats. In fact I am sure Kindle 3 will include touch screen capabilities and other new an exciting features. Just as Nook 2 and so on. As far as new eReaders out there, none are more exciting then Apples new tablet because it will do everything, but will cost between 700 and 1000 dollars. 

Innovation is the key to survival, and with invitation come technical challenges. You know that the Kindle techs are reading the Nook issues putting them in the scope for Kindle 3! That's the beauty of technology it changes every day. The Nook took eReaders to the next level. I commend them for not playing it safe. If they had they would have crashed and burned instantly. The me too philosophy doesn't work.

I actually am excited to see the Kindle 3 and I hope it adds more innovative features that will raise the bar for B&N.

Frequent Contributor
JenRuiz
0 Kudos

I would say it is completely up to you. I researched and did side by side comparisons on both the nook and the kindle (on paper of course, well a spreadsheet on my pc). To me it all came down to the expansion of the memory and I have to admit the touch screen at the bottom. But it all depends on what you like and what you think works best for you. I am glad I chose the nook, I absolutely love and have had no problems with it.