Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
rcafowler049
0 Kudos

Sony Reader

Can I download B&N ebooks to my computer and then upload them to a Sony Reader?
New User
Louanne
0 Kudos

Sony ebook

Is the B&N reader compatable to the Sony ebook.

Frequent Contributor
caroline1008
0 Kudos

Re: Sony ebook

Not unless Sony is willing to put eReader into their ereaders.

Sony ereaders open books bought in the Sony store which are in their format - BBeB

They can also handle PDF, ePub, and Txt. MS Word documents must be converted. 

New User
Louanne
0 Kudos

Thank you
Reader
nicov
0 Kudos

supposedly, B&N is going to roll ePub formatting soon, but that's not a guarantee or even a semi-firm time frame.
Frequent Contributor
caroline1008
0 Kudos

ePub and PDF would be crucial if they and Plastic Logic want to crack the scientific and educational market. They have an uphill road to climb as Amazon has been giving Kindle DXes left and right to all sorts of American universities. Once a person is sold on Kindle, he/she is locked into the Kindle store content. 

But B&N has an adavantage in that they have a free desktop version which means the reader can read on monochromatic Plastic Logic and then switch to desktop to look at colour pictures/photos or type notes or print. 

However, that 1 year head start the DX has has gotta hurt. 

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

In the UK Sony have linked up to Waterstones Book store - are they linked to a US store?  

caroline1008 wrote:

Not unless Sony is willing to put eReader into their ereaders.

Sony ereaders open books bought in the Sony store which are in their format - BBeB

They can also handle PDF, ePub, and Txt. MS Word documents must be converted. 

Frequent Contributor
caroline1008
0 Kudos

Sony is linked to the Borders store but Borders does not really have an ebook section. North Americans buy their Sony ebooks from Sony's ebookstore (ebookstore.sony.com) Sony is also linked to Google in that they have access to Google's out of copyright books. B&N has same deal.
New User
scifinut
0 Kudos

Re: Sony Reader

I just purchased a sony 600 reader.  Very nice reader but it looks like I will have to switch book stores if B&N is not going to support it. This reader is going to be outselling kindle very soon from the looks of it.

New User
Ravenstarwind
0 Kudos

Has anyone tried Calibre?  It's supposed to be able to convert most formats to any other. http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/

Contributor
EricTeall
0 Kudos

Calibre can't/won't crack the DRM that all these stores are putting on their eBooks.  They'd be in big trouble if they did.

I'm sure Sony doesn't want to support eReader/pdb format because they don't want people buying their books at BN.  OTOH, I'm sure BN isn't going to be adding BBeB support for the same reason.  The money to be made with eBooks is NOT from the readers, it's from the books. 

That said, I recently purchased a clearanced Sony PRS-505, so I'm torn, b/c I don't want to be stuck with Sony's format when BN clearly has an awesome reader ready to go.  (I don't want to get stuck with BN's format, either, but dang, that Nook eBook reader looks sweet.)

New User
QubyB
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ravenstarwind, I use Calibre all the time in combination with mySony PRS-505. It is a great program for format comnversion, it can do any-format-to-any-other-format. But, like EricTeall said, it can't handle DRMmed content.

What currentlly is not clear to me about the Nook is if I can upload non DRMmed Epub files from my PC tio the Nook. Specs say explicitly that this is possible for PDF, MP3 and graphics ... but silence about Epub (?).  

New User
LazarusL
0 Kudos

Sony claims they support ePub and PDF thru Adobe Digitail Editions.  Does that mean that an eBook purchased thru B&N can be read on a Sony - PRS-300?  I have a lot of B&N gift cards which I would like to use with the Sony eReader I recently received as a birthday gift.

Contributor
rhadinNY
0 Kudos

To read a B&N eREader book on a Sony, currently you have to remove the B&N DRM and then use Calibre to convert the book. This can be done.

In the future, it is expected that you will be able to readily read B&N ePub books on the Sony. B&N has released its ePub DRM to Adobe which will be incorporating it in Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) version 9.1. It is expected that all ePub devices will release firmware upgrades that incorporate this ADE upgrade. However, nothing is certain.

I have asked Sony whether they will incorporate it in the forthcoming Sony Daily Edition (PRS 900), but the response has been that Adobe hasn't yet released the upgrade. Right now I'm leaning to upgrading my Sony PRS 505 to the 900 rather than the nook because of B&N's disdain for B&N club members, so I'm interested in this issue.

However, having said that I'm not sure how much it really matters. B&N's ebook prices are so out of line (i.e., not price competitive) and you don't get the B&N club discount which would help close that gap, that I am unlikely to buy many -- if any -- ebooks at B&N.

New User
ljvb
0 Kudos

I will probably post a new thread relating to this, but I doubt much will be done to resolve the problem.

Currently, books downloaded in the epub format work just fine on the Sony Readers (my wife just bought the Sony 600).  Atleast the samples I tested worked just fine.  However last night my wife tried to buy a book, it came in the PDB format.. and resulted in a scathing email to customer service.

The issue at hand, is currently when you purchase a book, it does not provide the file format till after you have made the purchase. 

But all of the above is slightly off topic for this thread.  The fact of the matter is that if you manage to find a book in the epub format (I have not tried using anything other then the samples, which may not be DRM'd), it should work just fine.

New User
Rich300
0 Kudos

I did the same thing. Downloaded a sample. I could read it on me PRS-300 so I bought the book. I downloaded epub but I can not load to PRS-300. “This eBook cannot be transferred because there is no license to view on this device or it is authorized to another user”

B&N should put there samples in the same format/security as the actual book so people will know if it will work. At least until all the ebook companies learn to work together.

New User
GSonyThx
0 Kudos

Trying to figure out who I am more disgusted with - Sony or Barns and Noble.  Sony has developed a product I cannot seem to find content for, and Barns and Noble seems be playing a shell game with DRM.  These guys need to wake up before Amazon distroys both of them.

Like the other 2 previous posts, I downloaded samples after reading the discriptions, they worked, and now that I have spent money I cannot use them.  About to take my Sony back if they cannot do better than this.

New User
ANSH
0 Kudos

I just got a Sony Reader for Christmas and was so excited..I was looking for a book in a series and I had a Sony estore giftcard but that was fine I had a BN giftcard and they had it. After looking at the sample and buying the book...now the file type is unreadable by Sony...AGHHH I am so over the e-readers right now. Don't they know the one with the most open format wins in the end. BN should be ashamed of themselves with they PDB files. I am sorry that I don't have PDA device but an rival ereader and now I can't even use their site. This why from now on I will just get Half Price Book Giftcards for hand handle and forget about e-books until this whole mess gets figured out.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

ANSH wrote:

I just got a Sony Reader for Christmas and was so excited..I was looking for a book in a series and I had a Sony estore giftcard but that was fine I had a BN giftcard and they had it. After looking at the sample and buying the book...now the file type is unreadable by Sony...AGHHH I am so over the e-readers right now. Don't they know the one with the most open format wins in the end. BN should be ashamed of themselves with they PDB files. I am sorry that I don't have PDA device but an rival ereader and now I can't even use their site. This why from now on I will just get Half Price Book Giftcards for hand handle and forget about e-books until this whole mess gets figured out.

Why should B&N be ashamed of themselves?  Sony uses DRM as does Amazon.  THis is no different than iTunes DRM.  Or for that matter, PC versus Mac software that doesn't include both formats in once copy.

New User
seattlechick
0 Kudos

i think the point is that you can download the samples and they work but then it does not work when you actually pay for it....HOWEVER after being so sxcited about my sony e-reader i did just that not even noticing that next to all the books it states the things it works with.  had i been a little less excited i would have noticed this first.  I have bought books at B & N for several years and now am sad I wont be able to since it is not compaitable with the e-reader....HOWEVER overdrive.com does let you check out cooks from your local library with your sony e-reader!!!!  so there I get to check out books for free.....