Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
Jennyc87
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Typos and page numbers questions

Hey everyone, I don't know if these questions have already been ask so I apologize in advance if they have! I seem to have a good deal of typos in my ebooks. Has anyone else noticed that? Also, at it takes reading through at least 2 (sometimes more) pages to move to the next "page number" on the bottom of the screen. This REALLY bugs me. Is there something I can do to fix that?

Thanks!!

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Re: Typos and page numbers questions

See page 94 in the User's Manual:

"• eBooks (and periodicals) in EPUB format: Page numbering is for the entire eBook and   reflects some prior account of page numbering, before formatting for the text size. This means   that, if the original book had 525 pages, then so does the eBook. But the pages are re-flowed,   so a page from the book might start in the middle of the page in the eBook. A page in the book   also might be smaller or larger than will fit on one page of the eBook. So, looking at the reading   status bar when turning pages you might encounter page 45, and the page after that will still be   45, and maybe the one after that too. And then you will reach page 46. Or, you will turn from   page 45 to 47. What happened to page 46? It was on the same page as page 45. When you   make the text size larger, the same page in the eBook will flow over more pages in the Reader."

Frequent Contributor
VenturaBumm
0 Kudos

As far as typos. The only place i have seen really bad typos are in Google's free books.. Its really annoying. I gave up on going there. I am reading dracular so far so good. There are more formatting issues there with italics trimming chars. 

EPub books i have bought, NIV bibile, and a Under Dome are good. Typos are going to be publisher issues, not B&N.

Reader 4
Jennyc87
0 Kudos

Thanks for the help! I noticed a few typos store-bought books, but it's not a huge huge deal.

Reader 2
ElizaBennet135
0 Kudos

Re: Typos

I'm wondering if there is anything to be done about e-books with tons of typos.  Is there a way to report it to B&N (so that they can tell the publisher), or to report it to the publisher or something?  Some books are perfect, but some are terrible.  In one in particular (A Caress of Twilight, by Laurell K. Hamilton), I noticed well over a hundred typos, most of which were missing commas.  I tried emailing customer support with no response.  I do realize that it is a publisher issue, but I'd really like to be able to tell the publisher that their OCR software is terrible and needs to be replaced.

See, this is why I don't like DRM.  I'd be much happier if it was an ePub file that I could just go into and edit myself.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

@Elizabennet135:

First, Caress of Twilight was published in 2008.  With a book that new, this is not a scanning issue.  

The book more than likely went directly from idea in the mind of the author to final product digitally (word processors etc).

There is no excuse for such typos in a modern book, although there is room for disagreement about the use of commas.  (Google "Overuse of commas" turns up 33 thousand hits).

But in any event this is a publisher issue, and there is nothing B&N can do about it.

Contributor
Grumps
0 Kudos

Typos, and grammatical errors are myriad.  An earlier post stated Under The Dome by Stephen King was good, but I disagree - I found many typos, missing words, and grammatical errors in it.

In other books I've found that if a chapter ends, and fills a page or nearly fills a page, the last couple of words or sentences are truncated.  The next page is the next chapter, leaving an incomplete sentence/paragraph to finish the previous chapter.  I've seen this in Neuromancer by Wm. Gibson, and The Alexandria Link by Steve Berry (chapt 30, pg 336).  I'd bookmarked other occurances in other books, but lost all my bookmarks due to power-offs or PC connections (i.e v1.1x bugs), so I can't reference them any longer.  ;-)

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Grumps wrote:

In other books I've found that if a chapter ends, and fills a page or nearly fills a page, the last couple of words or sentences are truncated.  The next page is the next chapter, leaving an incomplete sentence/paragraph to finish the previous chapter.   

This has been referenced and the workaround explained in a myriad of threads.  change the font size and the missing text should appear.  

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Grumps wrote:

Typos, and grammatical errors are myriad.  An earlier post stated Under The Dome by Stephen King was good, but I disagree - I found many typos, missing words, and grammatical errors in it.

If you find these same typos in the paper book as well, then contact the publisher, or let it slide.

Some people are very sensitive to this stuff, others just read the book for the story.

In any event, its not a nook problem if the same typo or grammatical error occurs in the paper book.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Is myriad the word of the week or something?

Correspondent
eagleSB
0 Kudos

Great idea!  "Word of the Week" is another function we need on the nook in the next software update.

Contributor
Grumps
0 Kudos

Use of myriad has become myriad.... forgive me for using it.

As far as changing the font &/or its size to bring back the missing words/sentences, this seemed

a logical step, and I've already tried it, changing both the font and the size (both larger and smaller)

in both books I mentioned.  It made no difference; the words did not reappear.